PSD Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD Engine Failures

Hey all...

We've been asked many times for our opinion about miscellaneous engine failures, especially those relating to "windowed" blocks. After reading hundreds of posts on this subject, speaking to dozens of owners and manufacturers, reviewing carnage photos, and comparing countless files from damaged engines, we have a few theories. In fact, we've just finished writing a calibration simulator for the PSD that helps quickly identify just how significant a role tuning may or may not have had in relation to the failure.

In order to rule out isolated issues and identify any trends, we are conducting an independent survey of all 7.3L Power Stroke engine failures to see if there are any specific commonalities among the failures. The failures in questions will be specifically related to MODIFIED vehicles (i.e. Chips, Injectors, Turbos, HPOPs, etc.) and we would appreciate anyone who has suffered an engine failure of any type to please take a moment to fill out the survey. All NON-PERSONAL data collected will be made available for download to any individuals or companies that are interested.

A link to the survey can be found here: PSD Engine Failure Survey

I do want to take a moment and remind people to please be considerate and use this as an opportunity to get past the old issues and move forward in a positive fashion, NOT as a means of complaining about what damaged the engine. We've all read the posts and heard the arguments, but it really doesn't accomplish anything except getting a lot of tempers flared up. We may not all have to get along, but we are all striving for the same thing... making the Power Stroke a reliable source of performance.

We appreciate everyone taking the time to fill out the survey and hope that it will provide valuable information for all 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel owners and vendors, past, present and future.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Bill is going to start working on a write-up regarding what caused so many engine failures over the past several years; however, you are still encouraged to fill in the survey if you have experienced this yourself! Please remember that we will not be providing your personal information to anyone else unless you give us permission. In fact, at this point, we don't foresee a reason to share it with anyone else -- period.

We are still trying to decide when and where Bill's analysis will appear. We certainly don't want to be accused of bashing anyone when we're just supplying objective facts. As soon as we make a decision, we'll let everyone know where they can find it.

again to everyone who has taken the time to provide us with some much needed data!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thank y'all! i'm interested to see why my buddy's engine failed. i sent it in to y'all so hopefully y'all got it all figured out!!! thank y'all so much for stepping up to figure this one out!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I don't get it, what's the bottom line?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There has been allot of failures in the 400-450 H.P. range. At least thats my view from what I've read. Finger pointing and such without any real facts as to the cause. The survey is a way to correlate the failures to find a common cause. If there is one.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
there have been a lot of cracked blocks in the 7.3's in/above the 450hp range. i believe that a lot of it is bad programming. i think when you get in that range it helps if you get your tuner to live tune it to get it just right. when you are running bigger turbos and stuff i think it's hard for Jody, Tony, and maybe even Bill to get things just right and get the most power out of it without tuning it live. i could be wrong though, who knows... we will see soon hopefully!!! i believe my buddy's cracked block was programming. you can see the injector spray pattern was outside of the combustion chamber of the piston. i think that was the cause of his once he put the turbo on there.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
there have been a lot of cracked blocks in the 7.3's in/above the 450hp range. i believe that a lot of it is bad programming. i think when you get in that range it helps if you get your tuner to live tune it to get it just right. when you are running bigger turbos and stuff i think it's hard for Jody, Tony, and maybe even Bill to get things just right and get the most power out of it without tuning it live. i could be wrong though, who knows... we will see soon hopefully!!! i believe my buddy's cracked block was programming. you can see the injector spray pattern was outside of the combustion chamber of the piston. i think that was the cause of his once he put the turbo on there.
Do you know if he filled out the survey yet? If not, please let him know it's available. The more information we have, the clearer the picture becomes. Thank you!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
Do you know if he filled out the survey yet? If not, please let him know it's available. The more information we have, the clearer the picture becomes. Thank you!
i filled it out for him.. LoL. he isn't a very computer literate feller so i called him and talked to him about it and i put the survey through on his behalf. i know i put in all the correct info though b/c i had him on the phone when i filled it out and asked him all the questions. LoL

Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
That's awesome! Thank you so much!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
cdasherm
New User
Survey

Being a new user of a 97 F-250, and looking at what can be done to help my performance, I would really like to see the results of your survey. How will I find this. Thank CDAHAL

Old 10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Hi there.

Since that decision hasn't been finalized, I'd say your best bet would be to check out our website around Thanksgiving (at the earliest). We're not sure where else it will appear, but it will DEFINITELY be available to you there.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
She is going to be a regular on this forum before she knows it!!!!!

thanks for the info, i will be sure to keep an eye on the website for the info!!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
From Bill:

Just an update ...

Since returning from SEMA, Corey and I have both been out with the Flu. I'm back on my feet but Corey seems to have progressed into pneumonia. This has delayed releasing the results of the survey since I simply haven't had the time to compile the data.

I will be getting everything together this weekend and will be providing our findings with the affected vendors before releasing the data. Hopefully the data will provide insight and open up discussion as to where the problems lie and how we all can avoid failures in the future.

One thing I will say is that SOI (timing) clearly plays a crucial role in most of the failures. We been able to not only run calibrations through the AnalyTune software but now have the ability to live datalog the SOI values in the <acronym title="Powertrain Control Module">PCM</acronym> and have seen SOI curves approaching 60 degrees in an actual running situation. Combine that with modified injectors and you significantly increase the chance for disaster. When you consider that the stock <acronym title="Powertrain Control Module">PCM</acronym> is only running about 20-22 degrees of timing, there is no question as to what may be the most significant contributing factor in most (if not all) of the related engine failures.

Again, I am sorry for the delay in getting the information ready and really do appreciate everyone's involvement and contributions.

Please know that we are leaving the survey open indefinitely at this point. If you would like to participate, you're welcome -- and encouraged! -- to do so!

Take care.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Andy's250
Senior User
I have to say that I am impressed with the dedication ya'll have to figure out proper tuning. i think this is a great idea and im gonna subscribe.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
thank y'all again. this is great info. can't wait to see the results.

Quick Reply: PSD Engine Failures