Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest mean sounding exhaust on 95 f150 351w?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by 93f250tn
Im getting my 95 f150 351w dualed out this weekend and came to alittle bit of a problem... I have no idea what the 351w sounds like with diffrent types of a muffler... What i am looking for is the loudest meaning sounding exhaust setup that sounds good... Yes i like straight pipes but it dosent sound the best and dosent have much tone i was told a flowmaster super 44 would do the job? or could i put a race muffler in there so it will be loud and have a agrresive tone? I plan on running 2 1/2 piping from the manifolds back with 1 cat. then dualed out into 4" chrome slash cut tips behind the rear tires. any suggestions, sounds clips or input is greatly appreicated!
What did you end up going with?

I like the sound of JimboBeams 34 inch glasspacks.

I wouldn't go with Flowmaster either. They have a hollow sound and do drone. They also do not flow as well as almost any other performance muffler either.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nat, that is a really cool video showing the axle twisting the springs! :)
Thanks for posting it.

And, I installed a Truck Trailer light in my '75 cab and used a clear lens.
Never even thought about using a red one 'til now. Looks like a Truck
Stop's "goody counter" is in my future. LOL ;) Thanks for the idea. :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Oh yeah, the dangged OP. ;)
I heard a guy's truck that was running straight pipes after the cat and
it sounded like crap to me. YMMV Sounded like crap to him too, he was
asking what I was running that sounded so "cool". ;)

I told 'im... "an FE :)"

I have a 45 inch straight through Thrush. 2+1/2" in-and-out but more
important is... it's a full friggin 2+1/2" inside too.
Not made like "cherry bombs".
Amazon "Walker Exhaust 24213 Thrush Glasspack" ~$43 free shipping
They sell short ones too but nothin's going to "sound right" after a cat. :/

Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 AM
greenmachinejohn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run manifolds to dual glass packs and turn downs, its loud when accelerating but quiet at idle. Has a great tone, will get a video on here asap. It was a cheap system. With the cash from the cats i made $10. glass packs run $20 each and pipe, clamps and hangers.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 AM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nat13_3
I like the Flowmaster Super 44 series. YouTube - F-150 5.8L Killer Exhaust Note Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad
That's on my truck, no cats. Really loud in the cab without the bed on. With the bed on I can hear it pretty good when cruising, with no drone but I may not hear it because of the tire whine.
Nice sounds. Happy sounds. Nice, happy, shifting, exhaust sounds--thank you.

What body of water is that, off to the left, in your vid?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 PM
nat13_3
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigSix1
Nice sounds. Happy sounds. Nice, happy, shifting, exhaust sounds--thank you.

What body of water is that, off to the left, in your vid?
Umm, the one between PEI and N.B. I think it's called the Northumberland Straight. It's real cool cause on a nice day you can see the tops of the windmills on the island turning.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I bet the neighbors just love you guys..............Consider a system thats only loud when you stand on it, not at idle.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 AM
nat13_3
Senior User
Here's a little more of my truck. Basically just playing with the new camera, but figured you guys might like to hear it when given less throttle, and with the box on.
YouTube - F-150 Flowmaster 44 Sound
Really it's pretty quiet until the gas gets mashed or the RPM's up high.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:47 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to go with the super 44 but im leaving the stock cat. on so i left the system stock to see how it would sound with tips and it defiantly makes it sound better just with tips. But im going to just cut the muffler off and replace it with a pipe sense im leaving the stock cat. on which basically acts as alittle bit of a muffler so it should be loud enough. I ended up doing it dualed out straight out the back with 4 1/2" stainless steel rolled slash cut tips. Ill post some pics of it soon cause i also got alot of other things done to the truck but it has been raining for the past 3 days here so i havent been able to clean it up and get some pics btw my friend has his dualed out without cats. and a super 44 and it defiantly sounds like a beast. Its descently loud till about 1/4 throttle + then it really wakes up. I would defiantly recommend the super 44 to anyone that wants it loud but not obnoxiously loud like straight pipes would be without the cat.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Ok, think about it for a minute, danggit. ;)

There is "no new money" in smooth-flowing-traffic for
the contractors -or- bureaucrats -or- elected officials. :/

That's just the highway dept.

Think about the police dept and school "system". ;)

Etc.

At least now you know -why- you are sitting on the
shoulder, waiting in traffic. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ (libertarian)

Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 93f250tn
I was going to go with the super 44 but im leaving the stock cat. on so i left the system stock to see how it would sound with tips and it defiantly makes it sound better just with tips. But im going to just cut the muffler off and replace it with a pipe sense im leaving the stock cat. on which basically acts as alittle bit of a muffler so it should be loud enough. I ended up doing it dualed out straight out the back with 4 1/2" stainless steel rolled slash cut tips. Ill post some pics of it soon cause i also got alot of other things done to the truck but it has been raining for the past 3 days here so i havent been able to clean it up and get some pics btw my friend has his dualed out without cats. and a super 44 and it defiantly sounds like a beast. Its descently loud till about 1/4 throttle + then it really wakes up. I would defiantly recommend the super 44 to anyone that wants it loud but not obnoxiously loud like straight pipes would be without the cat.
I have heard several F150s from our era with just a Y pipe after the stock cats and no muffler and it sounds good.

I have a Magnaflow now and I like the sound of it much better than the Flowmaster I had before. I only have 1 cat though.

The Dynomax Ultra Flo is a good muffler. I have them on my Stang, but it is modified some and has headers and not cats. It is actually a bit milder inside than the Flowmasters I had before and there is not the rediculous drone. It was so bad in the car that you could barely hear the radio.

I won't recommend Flowmaster to anyone anymore. They have a hollow sound and they drone. They actually do not Flow very good either.

The straight through mufflers flow much better than chambered mufflers.

I would rather have glasspacks than Flows. As far as glasspacks go, the shorter ones sound good with cats and the longer ones sound good with out cats.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
i was talking to a guy i know who runs an exhaust shop. and i asked him if he would do my 351 once i get it done, and i told him i was gonna rin cherrybombs, and he told me with no cats and headers, they will be too loud and will drive you nuts. he also suggested thrush glass packs.he has them on his truck, which will be the same as mine, with lt headers, no cats, thrush g packs, 2 1/2 pipe, x pipe and 3 1/2 tips. just his is a long box, mine is a std cab short box. his sounds just like a flow, with no drone. really nice

Last edited by big_ford_rednek; 11-01-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: errors
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Thats cool. I don't know much about the Thrush glasspacks. I do know that there are some with louvers in them instead of the perforated tube. I prefer the sound of the perforated tube. I think the long packs that are about as long as a yard stick sound good on trucks with out cats or 2 small high flow cats.

A 351 backed by a ZF will be nice.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I don't know much about the Thrush glasspacks.
I do know that there are some with louvers in them instead of
the perforated tube. I prefer the sound of the perforated tube.
The Thrush/Walker glass packs are the perforated type and have
no louvers. They do not shrink down-in-size inside either. :)

That's how I ended up with mine to start with, I was at a hotrod
shop and looked down through one and asked if they came in 48"
length "no, 45 inch" "that's long enough, order me one:)". That
was about 15 years ago. Just got a new one and it's exactly the
same as the old one. :)

The 45" on my 360FE used to set off car alarms quite a bit, but
car alarms have gotten better that way in the last 5 years or so?

Alvin in AZ
ps- Does anyone else hear a car alarm, make a point to look the
other way and hope the sorry noisy sucker really is being stolen?
pps- Or is it just me? ;)

Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Thats awesome that your glass pack lasted that long. Its good to know they are still made the same. Those long glass packs sound sweet!

I just noticed your comment about car alarms. Actually, when I hear one I look to see whats happening. I have had my truck vandalized a few times only to find out they stole an old stereo (no ipod or mp3) thats maybe worth 40-50 bucks. I don't have subs or any fance stereo stuff, but they still want to steal it. I don't know why.

I just don't care about all the stupid stereo crap they push now. I just want a stereo that sounds good. What I find more annoying than anything is some fool's sub woofers that you can hear a mile away. That makes no sense to me. I hate sitting next to them in traffic. My exhaust is not any where close to being as annoying as that is.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just thought i would give alittle advice for anyone that wants to do there exhaust on there 351w or 87-96 ford trucks in general and dosent know much about them. I have found that the main problem is the stock cat. I took off the stock muffler so it is straight piped and is not much louder at all then the muffler on. I plan on cutting the stock cat. off then plan on placing a high flow cat. when i go for emissions. I was acutally surprised on how much the stock cat. quites down the exhaust. Im guessing it is also very restrictive so it defiantly needs to go. As far as muffler opitions go i may go for a "race" muffler so it will not blow out like a glasspack over time. I had morso spiral flows (race muffler) on my old 98 camaro z28 and there defiantly a good design and quited down the exhaust without effecting the flow. Dos anyone know how restrictive the stock manifolds are? the reason i ask is on my camaro they were fairly restrictive and by putting longtubes on it i gained 22 hp and 26tq at the rear wheels on a stock engine from them.

Quick Reply: Loudest mean sounding exhaust on 95 f150 351w?