Sponsored by: Moser

Camper Shell Condensation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Camper Shell Condensation...

OK, I just discovered today that I have a rather odd problem...

I crawled into the back of the truck to get some brake fluid out of my storage box and found that the floor was all wet... Nothing new, the camper shell leaks a bit around the windows and where it sits on the bed... But, this was a bit more moisture than what I'm used to seeing...

After looking around, I found that the entire inside roof area of the shell was wet - covered in water droplets and they were dripping down onto the bed - I'm not entirely sure how condensation would form like that - the shell is closed-off and separate from the cab - there shouldn't be that much temp difference inside the shell as outside...

The shell is a Custom Topper shell that's basically nothing more than a molded skin mounted over an aluminum frame - no insulation...

Has anyone else run across this? I may need to be sleeping in the back of the truck this weekend and I don't want it 'raining' on me while I'm asleep lol...

I thought about leaving one of the windows open but, if it rains/snows, it would add to the problem...

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Furyus1
I may need to be sleeping in the back of the truck this weekend and I don't want it 'raining' on me while I'm asleep lol...
You must've really ticked off the wife!

Being someone who has done quite a bit of camping in various things, I can tell you that this will be a tricky one. I had tons of insulation in the van that I took camping, and I always had a problem with condensation when I slept in it in cooler weather.

First off, I have to say that no matter what you do, I am afraid that sleeping in the back of this thing will be borderline miserable...if not full-blown miserable.

If the outside air is dry and there is no water inside when you are sleeping in it (you can leave the window open), you shouldn't have much of an issue with it raining on you.

If it is raining, you can stretch a tarp over the top of the shell (and over the windows) and use bungee cords to secure it to the bed. You'll need something to hold the tarp out away from the windows to get ventilation, but then you can open the windows without fear. Also, if it is very cold and windy, the tarp will act as another seal for your windows. The vent windows in my van were very drafty due to a couple of bad seals...you could feel a pretty strong cold breeze when the wind whipped up. After I put the tarp over the roof and bungeed it to the bottom of the body, NO MORE BREEZE!

If it is snowing, it is probably cold enough to freeze the condensation on the ceiling anyway...just be careful when you roll over...you may get an icicle through your arm.

Any way you go, make sure you have some Sudafed or something with you to deal with the congestion you will probably have later...

Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie
You must've really ticked off the wife!
LOL, I didn't think about that... Nah, I'm going to a concert in Salt Lake City and I can't afford the motel/hotel rates there so I'm just going to sleep in the truck overnight...

Anyway, thanks for the response and input... Looks like I'll be sleeping in the cab...