Sponsored by: DP Tuner

If it aint one thing it's the other

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If it aint one thing it's the other

Some of you may know last week i had to pull my engine back out to replace a broken oil jet. I changed the oil two weeks ago before the sled pull up at the Buck that was supposed to happen on the 12th, i tapped the bottom of the pan, could hear something in there. I had Swamps tig weld up a flowed set of jets, because i guess i fractured or weakened the material when i mig welded them. Pulling the engine out doesnt seem like such a big deal to me anymore, thats bad, so i got it ready to pull in two hours, got it out, flipped it over did the stuff, and put it back in thursday/friday night. All that work to miss the pull this weekend too because of rain yet again. So, washed and waxed it this past sunday, now the headlights wont turn on. I think i fried a relay on my upgraded wiring harness for my lights.

On the way home from catching some dinner tonight i got on it leaving an intersection the last one from my house, roll into the driveway usually, but not this time. I was in my highest setting slowly rolling into it, converter locked and grabbed second, spooled through second gear and as the boost hit it grabbed third and wanted to break the tires loose, instead heard a loud bang and lost all forward thrust, engine revved "real" high, and knew it was something in the transmission... coasted from 50mph as far as i could home, had a buddy pull me the rest of the way back... I think its an input shaft as i dont get any power in the transmission but i still can use park, not an output shaft.

You cant win with these things. Think verry hard before you go modifying these engines!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't sound like a modded engine problem Kris Sounds like you broke your bullet-proof BTS. . Good news is Brian will rebuild it under warranty. Especially since that trans has spent more time in your dad's shop than on the road.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive had it for more than two years, but it's sat for the past year and a half!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
That sucks. I've read all these engine posts from you I always assumed you had a BTS in your truck. I know Cale has put the tranny through it's paces so I figured you'd be safe there.

How "high" did you rev it? And how many times do you have to weld the jets on there? From the pictures I remember, your work looked good to me.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
intermediate shaft......

Just had the IDENTICAL thing happen. Took it apart today. Intermediate shaft snapped right at the drum. Input and output are fine.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn the bad luck. But I bet you will fix this little problem to go on and find a bigger fish to fry.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by matty169
Just had the IDENTICAL thing happen. Took it apart today. Intermediate shaft snapped right at the drum. Input and output are fine.
What are your mods?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Kris sorry to here about your tranny problem, do you have picks of these oil jets and where are they located. Just trying to understand what you are talking about. Thanks

Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
uechifs
New User
I have a need for trusted help with my drive train.

WOW I had a similar thing just happen. I need advice and help.
I have a 99 F350 4WD dually 7.3 diesel Automatic. I was driving about 40-45 Mph and I hit the gas trying to make the light. I heard an extremely loud bang and then got through the light but then had to coast into the next parking lot. I tried putting the transmission in different gears including reverse but it wouldn’t move. I then tried the fwd, low and high with all the gears but still no movement. I put it in gear and looked under the truck to see if the drive shaft is moving and maybe I blew the rear end. But it was not moving.
The history of my truck is this:
Ford replaced the transmission at 62, 000 miles with the previous owner. I then replaced the transmission at 130, 000 at AAMCO. I know the horror stories about that company but I found a good one in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Clearwater</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State></st1lace>. When they were rebuilding my transmission there were several monster Ford trucks getting their trucks ready for competition truck pulls at the <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Tampa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1lace> stadium. I asked them to build mine with the best that I can buy and whatever those trucks are getting. Whatever is better to put it in. I told them don’t worry about the price just build it the toughest they can. I don’t want to be stuck again on the side of the road with a broken transmission.
Well now the truck has 190, 000 and I have done absolutely nothing strenuous just driving on the highways and maybe a U turn in the grass medium a time or two.
I can’t understand how it could be the transmission.
Does anyone have ideas? I can’t get to work without this truck to make money, and yet I can’t fix the truck without money. So I am desperate for information, leads, or possible causes to see if I can fix it cheap.
I'd love it if I could get some experienced advice especially since I don't know who I can trust down here in Orlando/Kissimmee/St. Cloud, Florida area.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mndiesel
Kris sorry to here about your tranny problem, do you have picks of these oil jets and where are they located. Just trying to understand what you are talking about. Thanks
they are mounted on the inside wall of the block and squirt oil onto the cylinder walls/ piston from the bottom for cooling and lubrication purposes

Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Man, anybody else want to know why I am done with my HP mods for the most part? That is depressing because I was always more about go than show. Hope that BTS will take care of you Kris. I will be watching this very closely.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:23 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Kris sounds like the last 2 months at my house it just seems like you can't win. Sorry to hear that buddy hope things turn around for you soon.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nhill2090
they are mounted on the inside wall of the block and squirt oil onto the cylinder walls/ piston from the bottom for cooling and lubrication purposes
Thanks!!!! anybody have any pics?????

Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
these pics are not powerstrokes but are engine with oil jets and are the same basic design

http://ddmworks.com/top_secret_stuff/oil_squirter3.jpg

http://www.michaelrenz.com/oilsquirt.jpg

Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man Kris I am sorry to hear that.. as much work as you have put in to her, it would be nice just be able to hear you have driven it for longer then a month.. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: If it aint one thing it's the other