Mice in my Camper

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM
99whiteford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mice in my Camper

How do you folks keep mice out of your campers.I keep mine under a shed with a gravel floor and always manage to find mice evidence in them.We just purchased a very well kept jayco f,ver and hate to have any mice problems.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
julie 54
Senior User
mice

we have had good luck with BOUNCE sheets no generic kind has to be bounce hope this helps Julie

Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Best way to avoid mice, is dont give them an entrance... Make sure your wheel wells are sealed... I also set many mouse traps in mine. Moth ***** around the out side... Hang little bags under it, so they dont get whet... Maybe old pantyhose type bags... I am not a nig one for moth ***** in the trailer, but out side is good... I also store all linnen in those big resealable hefty bags, and take the toilet tiissue and any other tissue out to in the winter... There are so many things... Mice are bad, especially for wireing... Maybe get a cat to? Good luck

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
87mh
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99whiteford
How do you folks keep mice out of your campers...
I have had good luck with the glue type traps - put a few of them down when storing the camper and the glue will go on working for several months.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i heard that they do not like dryer sheets as well. might be some cheap insurance about those little b******.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I use the glue traps they work pretty good. I inspect about once a month over the winter to make sure all is ok.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM
mikren
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience bounce sheets don't help any. Your gonna have to get underneath your trailor and inspect every square inch of the underside and seal any little gaps ( with silicone ) from hoses or electrical going into the floor. If you have a slide out on your trailor you'll need to seal the bottom corners under the rubber weather guard with steel wool. I have plenty of field mice where I live, those suckers can colapse their skull to fit into a 1/4 gap. I used to have to set up taps all the time and would catch them daily. I sealed up every potential entrance for mice and haven't seen any inthere since.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM
06supercrew
Senior User
What has worked best for us is, seal all openings with a metal mesh (copper or aluminum is best, steel wool will rust and decay), place glue boards all over the interior and put bait stations around the exterior. Unfortunately I don't believe you can get to all of the openings. We leave our camper on our lot in the Va. mountains and have this problem also. We have had no success with dryer sheets, haven't tried moth *****, remember that moth ***** are very flammable.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Old Rusty Wrench
Senior User
Catch one alive, paint the the back end a bright red or orange and turn it loose. The others will see him and laugh themselfs to death. The painted one will go off and kill himself. problem solved. Just kidding, I had the problem back a few years ago. Put out a few traps and some bait. I think it was Decon or something like that. The traps didn't catch any but found a few half dead ones outside the next day. Gave them a little help to make all the way. I checked for opening and sealed any found with screens and sealent. Now I make sure that the power cord door is closed and sealed with a couple of metal plates with slots to fit the around the cord.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:53 PM
sumbuddyloanmea.10
Senior User
Trying to keep them out has been futile for us. We've tried moth *****, peppermint, sealing everything we can think of, and the little *******s will still find a way.
So, we feed them! D-Con!!!! Theyy take the food to their buddies thinking there's a party goin' on, and the whole bunch dies. D-Con dries them up too, dehidrated mice, so they will not stink if they do get in the walls/subfloor.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Black Helmet
Senior User
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, we had our first visitor! He did little to no damage just grossed my wife out (we left some dishes in the cabinet he got into). I however will be placing traps in the trailer, and decon outside (or under). I noticed where my plumbing comes in seems kind of open. Are there downsides to sealing these with expanding foam? If I need to pull the pex back out, I figure I can just cut it or whatever. Also, any other tips/tricks? We do not store food in there, just a few dishes and some linens.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Use the expanding foam. It won't hurt a thing.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
We work on sealing our fiver and use steel wool in openings. I leave a couple of traps set with peanut butter which both the mice and I love (the peanut butter not the traps) and that handles things pretty well.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:25 AM
Black Helmet
Senior User
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Use the expanding foam. It won't hurt a thing.
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
We work on sealing our fiver and use steel wool in openings. I leave a couple of traps set with peanut butter which both the mice and I love (the peanut butter not the traps) and that handles things pretty well.
Roget that! Thanks gents. Is there something about the steel wool rodents detest, or just cant gnaw through it? I threw a couple sticky pads and some of these "natural" scent bags that smell like pine trees kinda inside the TT tonight. Also, a small box of Decon underneath on the ground.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
They can't or won't gnaw through it.

Quick Reply: Mice in my Camper