Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Flushing engine/cooling system after oil cooler failed

Ok, my 04 lost its oil cooler last week. I have decided to take proactive measures and I am installing the ARP studs, MBRP turbo back exhaust, SCT, guages and new head gaskets. I have already done a EGR cooler delete. The heads are back from the machine shop and we will begin reassembly tomorrow. I have searched the forums for advice on how to best flush out the green goo from the entire system without any real success. Any advice on how best to do this. I have a gallon of Cascade to start with. I have wiped up as much as possible.

Ricatic
Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
I don't know that there is any good way to do it. It's a huge mess for sure. My advice would be to finish the assembly and add the Cascade as part of your initial "coolant" fill so that it can get started cleaning as soon as you start to crank the motor. If you have the radiator out you might try using Dawn in it while it's sitting but make sure the Dawn is all out before you install the radiator or you will have LOTS of bubbles. Other than that all you can do is just flush and fill until it's internally clean, probably multiple times.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
I have flushed the radiator with hot water and Cascade while waiting for the heads to be machined. I guess I will just brace for the mess.

Thanks

Ricatic
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Posting Guru

l-m tech is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
buy 2 botls of dawn dishwashing soap.the big bottles.pour a hole bottle in and water and drive20 - 40 miles.repeat this again then add coolant.there are 2 drain plugs in the block that you can remove after the second flush.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
I also recommend you install a coolant filter asap.
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Junior User

Chris89lx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Simple green is what is used at the dealers.
ARP head studs and full EGR delete.
SCT-SF3 with Innovative Diesel custom tunes.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior User

Ford_Doctor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
Simple green is what is used at the dealers.
Simple Green does the job well. Here is a generalized instruction based on the TSB for cooling system flushing: Remove the thermostat, add 3 gallons of Simple Green and fill with water, turn the heater on too full heat, run the engine at 1200 RPM for 1 to 2 hours depending on how filthy the system is. Drain and flush clean, re-flush using Motorcraft cooling system flush and iron cleaner VC-9. Drain and flush again until clear. Replace all rubber hoses, the thermostat and the pressure cap. Refill system using Ford Premium Gold antifreeze 50% concentration.

Keith
Ford Diesel Master Technician
Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor
Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior User

psu927 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys does anyone have links of where to find all of the chemicals on the web?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Elder User

rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Simple Green: Wal-Mart; Auto Parts Stores;ect
VC-9 Icon Cleaner: Ford Dealer..
On Line: Motorcraft fluid for Ford Lincoln Mercury cars and truck
Make sure you use ONLY!! Ford Premium Gold Antifreeze

Coolant Filter: http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcr...luids/list.htm

Last edited by rocky1074; 10-10-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Make Change To Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Junior User

TreeTech is starting off with a positive reputation.
rickatic, I was in the same boat your in less than a year ago.. Cascade is not strong enough.. go with the simple green like others siad.. I got a gallon from Lowes. I flushed mine 12 times before refilling with coolant.. I would drain it every day or two. The hotter it gets the better off you are.. I drove my 04 to the beach on one of the mixes.. It was good and milky on that drain..
ccv reroute
High Idle Mod
Throttle plate removed
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Postmaster

When NCC... said it was going to be a huge mess he was not overstating. I am having a hard time believing what I am seeing. The amount of green gook is depressing. I am also having a problem getting heat. I have flushed the heater circuit separately and got a big glop of goop but still no heat.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Junior User

TreeTech is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much oil did it dump in the cooling sys? I caught mine right away but it still dumped 2qts by then.. Ford dealers have replaced entire engines because of oil cooler failures. This was done because of too much oil contamination and not being able to remove it all..
ccv reroute
High Idle Mod
Throttle plate removed
Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
"TSB 08-23-1 6.0L DIESEL COOLING SYSTEM CONTAMINATION FLUSH PROCEDURE" is interesting resding. If you would like a copy, I can send it to you.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Elder User

rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rocky1074 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I want to flush my system, Just a couple questions...How much simple green did you add? Did you add some on every flush? Thanks
2007 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
"TSB 08-23-1 6.0L DIESEL COOLING SYSTEM CONTAMINATION FLUSH PROCEDURE" is interesting resding. If you would like a copy, I can send it to you.

Bismic Can you please send me a copy. You can PM me or e-mail it to me. THANKS mrrocky@wildblue.net
2007 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
04, 2000, 2003, 60l, cascade, cooler, cooling, engine, f150, f250, flush, flushing, ford, oil, radiator, system