6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Emissions Test in Arizona is ridiculous!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:52 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions Test in Arizona is ridiculous!!!

I took in my 04 6.0 Excursion for it's first emissions test today. The technician says put it in Park and floor the gas pedal as fast as you can and hold for 3 seconds. I said What!? He said floor it an hold it for 3 seconds. I had to floor my 6.0 to the rev limiting redline 4 times to complete this emissions testing? I have never had my engine to 4K RPM ever in 68K miles! This can't be the greatest for my engine I wouldn't think? Anyone else in AZ experience this lame emissions testing setup? Even when I tow my hauler I never rev beyond 3200 RPM's.......... anyways kind of pissed me off that I have to do this in order to renew my license plate tags here in AZ!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 AM
ford7379trucks
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no way i would ever rev any engine at full throttle for 3 sec rev limiter or no. you probably just knocked 30,000miles off your engine. i don't think reving at full throttle is a requirement. thats going to blow alot of motors.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
wow they should be ashamed for this testing of diesels! when i lived in arizona there was no diesel testing is this new?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 AM
DIYer1
New User
Looking at the ADEQ website on emissions testing for diesels, it appears that they run a SAE J1667 test. Here is the description from their site:

"The test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle, no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the maximum is 55 percent opacity."

That sucks.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that IS B.S.! I hope they don't bring that hair-brained crap to the East coast There has to be a better way, no?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely be contacting my state representatives. that is bull####. I am so glad Florida finally got away from that whole emissions testing. especially for diesels. what the hell are they testing for? it is not the same animal as a gasser. the thing that killed the reliability for the 6.0L is the egr emissions equipment.

please do not let them get away with that

Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM
1medic
Junior User
Maybe an SCT flash tuner with an adjustable rev limiter setting would work for you. Set it to 3K (or a little lower) when you get tested again.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
HAHAHA.......you didn't hurt your engine a bit. Probably did it some good actually. This is NOT, I repeat NOT an old style diesel engine. That's where everyone makes a MISTAKE. You should see some of the testing IH puts these engines through before they go out, and I promise you it's a LOT more than 3200 rpm's for a LOT longer. This ain't no Cummins I6 torque monster. It relies on RPM's to pull and function.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by raptor131
what the hell are they testing for? it is not the same animal as a gasser. the thing that killed the reliability for the 6.0L is the egr emissions equipment.
The irony is that even the older diesels that released more volume of emissions, they were also the larger particulates as well, which were easier and not as toxic as the ones released by todays diesel engines. Even though, diesel is still cleaner then a normal gas engine. Stock for stock.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:23 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYer1
Looking at the ADEQ website on emissions testing for diesels, it appears that they run a SAE J1667 test. Here is the description from their site:

"The test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle, no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the maximum is 55 percent opacity."

That sucks.
Yes it does suck! A couple of years ago I talked to a guy with a 1993 7.3 Dually and he told me that during this test he blew his 7.3 with 266K miles on it. He blamed it on this emissions test and I just kind of blew it off thinking

"this guy is just whining about his motor blowing, emissions test, yeah right"

Jeez, now after yesterday I believe him! No telling if his motor would have died anyway very soon, but the thing I worry about is doing this stupid test when I have 250K miles on my 6.0?? Very Irritating!! I'd like to research this further too see if anyone else has lost an engine during this testing!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 7926407" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>
Originally Posted by npccpartsman;
HAHAHA.......you didn't hurt your engine a bit. Probably did it some good actually. This is NOT, I repeat NOT an old style diesel engine. That's where everyone makes a MISTAKE. You should see some of the testing IH puts these engines through before they go out, and I promise you it's a LOT more than 3200 rpm's for a LOT longer. This ain't no Cummins I6 torque monster. It relies on RPM's to pull and function.
maybe he didn't. but if he normally babies his truck who are state officials to tell him to beat on it. who ultimately pays for the repair. so while it may not have hurt his engine It is not the point to me. it is big brother telling him to do something to his personel property that he wouldn't otherwise do. maybe borderline 4th,5th amendment violations

</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Originally Posted by scottman70
Yes it does suck! A couple of years ago I talked to a guy with a 1993 7.3 Dually and he told me that during this test he blew his 7.3 with 266K miles on it. He blamed it on this emissions test and I just kind of blew it off thinking

"this guy is just whining about his motor blowing, emissions test, yeah right"

Jeez, now after yesterday I believe him! No telling if his motor would have died anyway very soon, but the thing I worry about is doing this stupid test when I have 250K miles on my 6.0?? Very Irritating!! I'd like to research this further too see if anyone else has lost an engine during this testing!
and if you do you would try to sue for damages, who has deeper pockets for attorney's?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1medic
Maybe an SCT flash tuner with an adjustable rev limiter setting would work for you. Set it to 3K (or a little lower) when you get tested again.
Now that sounds like a potential solution.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Now that sounds like a potential solution.
Great Idea!! I am going to look into that! I could get a tune that is limited to 2800 RPM's! That would be cool!!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
if you have a SCT and the tuner left the options open you can lower the rev limiter or if you use canned tunes i guess you can do the same thing. i don't know how low it lets you set it. probably the best tune so you can pass would be like the stock plus from spartan or get your custom tuner to do it for you. i know that they can make "valet" mode tunes so it's possible.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by scottman70
Great Idea!! I am going to look into that! I could get a tune that is limited to 2800 RPM's! That would be cool!!
And then you'll be whining about how coked up your EGR and turbo are. It may be cool to you but it's gonna suck for your engine. What don't you folks realize about cold easy driving that these trucks DON"T like????? You think you're doing them a favor by running them easy??? Not hardly.

Quick Reply: Emissions Test in Arizona is ridiculous!!!