1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 F-250 Super Duty Super Cab Audio Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommercialRig
Thanks Rugby!
I swear I almost broke down and cried when I discovered the steel barrier. I was determined to seat those tweets exactly in that spot nevertheless. Everywhere else I placed em' my ears could tell where the music was coming from. I found myself 'looking' at every note!

Now, I have the perfect soundstage and evrything seems to just blend in.

I can imagine you expect nothing but empty space and find out otherwise. I've had separates in my cars before and loved them however I wasn't in the mood to deal with them in the truck so I just settled for some inexpensive Pioneer 3 ways in the stock door locations, they surprisingly get the job done.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
very nice job!! where in Ma . are you?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:56 PM
CommercialRig
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Rugby you can get some pretty decent Sound Quality outta some all-in-ones out there. I was actually looking at the Boston Acoustics SC Full Range speakers but the 6X9's would have meant a 'modified' fit and I didn't feel like going through that.... small potatoes compared to what I know now......

Thanks slowmans. I'm a 12 minute drive North of Boston off 128.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
CommercialRig
Freshman User
Bottom Line....

Well, I finally got some time to organize all the costs associated with this build and, considering I've been spending money like a drunken sailor it wasn't as bad as I thought.

From Crimp Connectors all the way to the heat gun I got on ebay for 18 bucks (for shrink shield) I spent a grand total of..... wait for it..... $2,664.77 plus an additional $99.97 for new front and rear Lloyd RubberTite Rubber Floor Mats for the winter. Ski season's soon approaching.

I wan't to give a shout-out to SonicElectronix.com for offering the BEST deals on equipment for about 90% of this build. I used Crutchfields site for no more than their "outfit my car" service. Just enter your year make and model, and they will list what fits. Unless you want to pay upwards of 40-50% more it should stop right there.

My JL Audio C5-570 Component Front Speakers cost me $299.00 at SonicElectronix.com where Crutchfield 'offers' them for $499.00. Obscene no?

Also, Jeremiah over at the tech line at MTX Audio could not have been more helpful with my ThunderBox Sub dilemma. From knowledgeable troubleshooting to eventually deciding it was worth sending the unit in for a replacement.

All in all it was worth the time and effort I put into this thing. I'm glad I decided to share my experiences with this tight quartered truck and I hope it brings inspiration to the procrastinators out there who (like myself) didn't think it could be done.

shhhhh, don't tell my wife what this thing cost. I told her I got a real good deal on CraigsList for under five hundred.

Not sure she believed me though cause I saw her browsing the travelocity site last night.

I'll be sticking around as I said in the OP, This site has always been a favorite for answers and information on my trucks.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice job on the install and great pics! Reps sent.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM
CommercialRig
Freshman User
Taking into consideration the fact that most of the gear used in this build was purchased at SonicElectronix.com, I decided to go ahead and enter this vid into their 2010 video contest......

Video plays in HD and don't forget to turn up yer speakers!!! I custom made the track in Garage Band for this flick

<center><width="640" height="410"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kgHbHxgrNIQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1 =0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kgHbHxgrNIQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1 =0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="410"></embed>></center>

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great video! And, good luck in the contest

Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 PM
CommercialRig
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Great video! And, good luck in the contest
Thank you! And I thank this site for all the inspiration, research, and support I got with this build.

I gots another build (or two) commin' up (16 yr old daughter just hit the road), and I'm in the market for an older model Ford F100 so, I'll be perusing this site a bit more often for that same inspiration and research mentioned above.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Your Daughter can wait a little longer. What say you come on over to Vancouver BC area and help me get my hardware installed.

Thanks for posting up your project. Crew Cab here, but some of your information might come in handy when I finally get around to installing the boxes of gear I have sitting here waiting to be used. At least I'm not starting from scratch. The existing audio/video system in my truck is wired up pretty well as it sits so I can use most of it as is.

Rick...

Thank you! And I thank this site for all the inspiration, research, and support I got with this build.

I gots another build (or two) commin' up (16 yr old daughter just hit the road), and I'm in the market for an older model Ford F100 so, I'll be perusing this site a bit more often for that same inspiration and research mentioned above.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM
CommercialRig
Freshman User
Haha, you don't need my help. Those crew cabs got enough space behind the seat to put in tennis courts!

As for using existing wire? Although it may be "wired up pretty well", check to make sure it is of the proper gauge to run yer gear.

The most common wire sizes used in car audio range between 4awg and 22awg. Remember: The larger the awg (American Wire Gauge) number, the smaller the wire size.
Since amplifiers are relatively inefficient and can draw significant amounts of current, it's necessary to use the right size wire. For most situations, (mine included), 16g speaker wire was absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted by _Rick_
Your Daughter can wait a little longer. What say you come on over to Vancouver BC area and help me get my hardware installed.

Thanks for posting up your project. Crew Cab here, but some of your information might come in handy when I finally get around to installing the boxes of gear I have sitting here waiting to be used. At least I'm not starting from scratch. The existing audio/video system in my truck is wired up pretty well as it sits so I can use most of it as is.
Rick...

Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Right now I have a pair of 10" subs in a custom box which are taking up pretty much every square inch of space behind the rear seat. There's really not much room back there. I actually thought the Super Cabs have more room behind the seats compared to the Crew Cabs? (It may depend on the year?). I'll be working on getting larger subs back there eventually. It'll take some effort, but doable. The amps are under the rear seat, but there is a bit more room there for additional hardware if needed.
I'm pretty sure the existing wiring will do the job, but if there is any doubt I'll replace what ever is needed.
It's getting the IVA-W505 installed in the dash I'm a little worried about. I don't want to make a mess of the dash. It's probably not so tough to work out, but until I get started on it and take a close look while "dry" fitting it I'll be a bit concerned.

Rick...

Haha, you don't need my help. Those crew cabs got enough space behind the seat to put in tennis courts!

As for using existing wire? Although it may be "wired up pretty well", check to make sure it is of the proper gauge to run yer gear.

The most common wire sizes used in car audio range between 4awg and 22awg. Remember: The larger the awg (American Wire Gauge) number, the smaller the wire size.
Since amplifiers are relatively inefficient and can draw significant amounts of current, it's necessary to use the right size wire. For most situations, (mine included), 16g speaker wire was absolutely necessary.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no "behind the seats" in a SuperCab, the rear seat back is mounted on the back wall. I mounted an 8" sub in each rear door of my SuperCab, turned out well and sounds great.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
I stand corrected,,,

I guess I was thinking of a regular cab with the seat adjusted all the way forward.

Now that I took a closer look at CommercialRig's photo of the back rest removed I can see there's not much room back there.

Rick...

Originally Posted by cartmanea
There is no "behind the seats" in a SuperCab, the rear seat back is mounted on the back wall. I mounted an 8" sub in each rear door of my SuperCab, turned out well and sounds great.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Slick install, great work!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
CommercialRig
Freshman User
Originally Posted by _Rick_
I stand corrected,,,

Now that I took a closer look at CommercialRig's photo of the back rest removed I can see there's not much room back there.
Rick...
Not "much" room??? Try none, nada, zero, negative zero room behind that backrest.....

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Slick install, great work!
Thanks TMP, I love positive comments from anybody with the word guru in their title.

Quick Reply: 2003 F-250 Super Duty Super Cab Audio Build