Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Fall chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fall chat thread

Figured better move on to another thread so as to not get too long. So how's everyone doing? Running my tail off between classes, work and trying to keep up at home. Winter's coming too soon for my taste, and if the moisture patterns should hold, it could be nasty. We got over 7" of rain here late last week...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any flooding up your way with all that rain, Roger?

Ya know, you could've called this the "Indian Summer" thread... I'm not ready to face fall quite yet!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
We had a bit of flooding, had quite a number of flash flooding reports right afterwards. I haven't gotten down to our new creek crossing to see how much damage there is. It went over the top of it earlier this spring. The county engineers claimed we had anough flow rate for the location, but go figure, it can't handle the bigger rains. Going to have to add another tube to try to keep ahead of the heavier rains that seem to come at least once if not more times a year...

I named it that thinking it will probably be here for a while, and hte weather around here is more like late September/October than August/September... I still have to get one of the loader tractors put back together, and it is looking more like I will have to go through the other one... It developed a knock last spring, but the bottom end looks great, especially for the age, but the knock just won't go away. Actually, it got louder, but the oil pressure was around 60 pounds last spring. I haven't checked again, which I need to.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Seems like this weather is gonna be around for awhile... I'm not complaining, though. Sooner have it a bit cooler as hot enough to melt, really. I do hope that the cooler temps this summer don't mean a cold winter, though, or a real wet one, either.

Anybody going to the Old Thresher's this weekend?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a whole lot going on my way. Just waiting for summer to come so the corn can dry down. I hope it all makes it past black layer. The beans could be pretty questionable if we get a decent early frost.

On the plus side ISU finally winning! Looks like we might get this one.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I don't personally mind the cooler weather, but the crops aren't appreciating it... have some spots in the bean fields that are dying down already. Out tomatoes all died off already, as well as some black spots on the peppers. Not sure if we had a cold burst that got them, or chemical drift... the sprayer operators have been getting pretty sloppy around here.

I would loveto get down to the Thresher's reunion, butnot likely this year. Only day off is Monday, and I need to keep working on the little tractor to have it going by the time it should snow. Need the loader back... the 856 is giving me the fits too, the motor has some kind of knock,and after checking it out again today, I'm pretty sure it is preignition knock instead of mechanical knock. Might have to put a fresh injection pump on it... at least the 966 is still on good behavior...

Old 09-06-2009, 07:14 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Good title for the thread, Roger. Could have started a couple months ago since we didn't have summer.

Beans are starting to turn around here. In a couple weeks, they should be very safe from frost. Seed corn picking is starting Tue or Wed. It will be interesting to hear what the yields end up being compared to '93 when we had a similarly wet summer.

Lisa, how was your "corn crop" this year?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
hi all,
i just got back from a week in ne.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Howdy, all...

Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
howdy back at ya.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by farmdad
Good title for the thread, Roger. Could have started a couple months ago since we didn't have summer.

Beans are starting to turn around here. In a couple weeks, they should be very safe from frost. Seed corn picking is starting Tue or Wed. It will be interesting to hear what the yields end up being compared to '93 when we had a similarly wet summer.

I've seen a couple bean fields being cut about 30 min southwest of ya. We are full steam ahead with seed harvest.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by farmdad

Haha..well if that's what you want to call it. It was good stuff, perfect ears of corn. Very easy to grow. I had some issues with insects on a lot of my other vegetables, and my tomato crops were disappointing. I think I'll grow a lot more corn next year.

So, it definitely smells like fall outside and the air is crisp in the morning.

Do you guys think it'll be a cold winter, or mild? Wet or dry?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Tomatoes don't like the cool summer we had, ours didn't do all that well either. Most died off early, not entirely sure why. Mine here at my house are fine, but my mom's down in the valley died back in August.

Not sure what to expect, the wet pattern finally broke, and we have some heat, but can't really say what will come...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:18 AM
390fe
Fleet Mechanic
Thought I'd jump in here. Things are going well here, but this will likely be my F100's last year as an all original body. The state's fondness for sodium chloride in the winter has eaten away most of the critical underbody supports, and there's not much that's actually still bolted to the frame. I'm planning a trip to mid Missouri or further south for another body, maybe a whole truck next spring or summer.

I did pick up a '76 F100 this summer for my disc brake conversion.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
howdy all,
yeah our tomatoes and what not didn't do to well here either. my wife planted all sorts of veggies and half of them never came up. and they were planted with miracle grow.
but not on a 40 acre scale.

Quick Reply: Fall chat thread