ATTN. USE Motorcraft Oil Filters ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
If I remember correctly it had the black grippy crap on the end of the filter. I don't believe the racing filters have that grippy crap on them.
eeeuuu...no, the one with the crappy grip or grippy crap is definitely the cheapo. Scary on a high end motor...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have to pull out the issue and double check.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
motorhead1026
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone heard of any engine problems using castrol high mileage 5w-30 in there V10's?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm a bit late to the discussion, hopefully still interesting though......was an independent sales rep for Oberg Permanent Oil Filters and part of their sales speil was comparing the then current spin-on disposable filters, one aspecting being pressure drop as measured through various filter brands. Just as now Fram was among the least expensive so most commonly used but also consistently demonstrated the highest drop of any brand existing at the time.

Keeping in mind such test results were NOT from direct testing by the Oberg people rather they gleaned the info from already published techincal bulletins from somewhat unbiased sources as as ASTM etc. Since that time I've never used a Fram filter again, stay mostly with the NAPA Gold Line but now using MC exclusively.

It can't hurt to use a Ford spec'd item on their engines despite any claim or experience no observable information exists one brand might cause lubricating issues for whatever reason; excessive pressure drop, disintetrating element, etc etc. Considering the cost of engine repair or replacement whatever the cause a miniscule difference in cost of a filter from one brand to another is cheap cheap cheap and not something I'm willing to gamble with. Yes maybe MC doesn't prevent failure, Fram might not cause any significant damage either but with so many users here running our same engines there's more than enough evidence suggesting MotorCraft parts in some instances are the better bet.

My just completed oil change cost me all of $35 using MC and NAPA oil ($5.00 ea, $4.99/qt) whereas a long block only fitting my '00 E250 gasser is $2800 PLUS installation-----just not worth a few bucks saved IMHO!

Incidently the new MotorCraft FL-820S box claims "different size, same performance"---it is noticeably different in size; same diameter but shorter in height. It did seem to accept almost the same amount of fresh oil before installing so I don't believe I've lost anything. Always changing dino oil @ 3K miles anyway so this should be a non-issue.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM
rdw516
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filters and Manufacturer’s Warranties
Consumer purchasers of automotive filters are sometimes told by an automobile dealer’s service writer or mechanic that a brand of replacement filter cannot be used in the consumer’s vehicle during the warranty period. The claim is made that use of the brand will “void the warranty,” with the statement or implication that only the original equipment brand of filters may be used. This, of course, tends to cast doubt on the quality of the replacement filter.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for the statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement filters that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who prefer to install their own filters, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson – Moss Warranty Act, 15U.S.C. SS 2301-2312 (1982) and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of filter (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.
So, if the consumer is told that only the original equipment filter will not void the warranty, he should request that the OE filter be supplied free of charge. If he is charged for the filter, the manufacturer will be violating the Magnuson – Moss Warranty Act and other applicable law.

By providing this information to consumers, the Filter Manufacturers Council can help to combat the erroneous claim that a brand of replacement filter other than the original equipment will “void the warranty.”

It should be noted that the Magnuson – Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that applies to consumer products. The Federal Trade Commission has authority to enforce the Magnuson – Moss Warranty Act, including obtaining injunctions and orders containing affirmative relief. In addition, a consumer can bring suit under the Magnuson – Moss Warranty Act.

(THIS WAS COPIED AND PASTED DIRECTLY FROM THE ADVANCE AUTO PARTS WEBSITE)

SEE THIS WEBSITE ALSO: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...l-warranty-law

Last edited by rdw516; 09-21-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly the best or at least one of the best oil filters on the market is the WIX brand filter. They made the filters for H-M Racing back in the 427 Ford's NASCAR days and I dont't recall there ever being a filter related engine failure. I believe they make the top end NAPA filters now. I will only use Motorcraft or WIX brand filters on my vehicles and not worry.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
To RDW re Magnuson Moss (MM)....yes, I have read all of that many times.

Three comments:
1. If you use a Brand X filter which internally comes apart and clogs oil passages with either rubber or filter material, and the dealer finds this on a teardown of the engine, neither Ford nor MM will cover the damage to the engine. You get to try to settle with Brand X. Good luck. Given this possibility, I will always use the mfr brand filter on my engines during the warranty period because if THAT filter comes apart, I am covered. A non-mfr filter that is proven to cause damage WILL void the warranty. Period.

2. I had a non-Motorcraft filter put on my van (by the dealer, as their "economy" oil change--I was not aware they put it on) and heard a lot of clatter on startups because of a crappy anti-drainback valve design. It is unlikely that this would damage my engine or yours during the warranty period enough to warrant a claim. However, it might make my engine into an oil burner or make the bearings wear out at, say, 100-150k miles, long after the warranty is up. I research and use products that I do not fear will do this, and hearing a clatter upon startup is PROOF to me that inferior filters are inferior. I took off the cheap filter after about 3 days, put on an 820S, and have pretty much used them since. I have also used a few Pure Ones, which my research makes me feel good about and which do not cause startup clatter. (The Pure Ones were in an oil/filter deal at one of the auto parts stores.)

3. Frams are not noticeably cheaper than Motorcraft or other quality filters, but looking at their internal construction on many websites, including paper end caps, bad ADB valve design, faulty glue joints, I choose not to use them. They are built cheaply and for a silicone ADB valve, you have to buy their premium filter for way more than the Motorcraft cost. As in point #2, using an inferior filter will probably not cause a warranty issue but might make my engine burn a quart of oil per 1000 miles when my van has 100k miles on it. In reality, the 4.6 in my van has 98k miles on it and oil consumption is around half a quart at 5k miles, better than when it was new. I am happy. My engine is happy.

George

Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
George your points are well taken---thanks for such a well considered response. I'd add if cost per filter is an issue it seems to me for our motors a quality filter's cost range is between $5 and $8. I've used nothing but NAPA Gold Line but now switched to the Motor Craft version direct from the local Ford dealer---both a mere $5 each.

With such an insignificant difference in price it makes no sense (to me) NOT using the "premium" brands or types-----not if they'll give me a 100K miles more on an engine in the longer term.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
With Walmart carrying mc synthetic blend and mc filters you can't go wrong.