1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My GT500 truck build thread...picture intensive!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Hey guys...just wanted to check in and get some more opinions on a few ideas.

I wasn't exactly set on what I wanted to do for the tail lights, so I went on Fleabay and picked up several that I thought would look good. I think the '67s I have would fit best in the theme, but I thought I'd open it up for some of your insight.

These are all original sequential units, and they are from a '67 Cougar- just like the sequential tail lights on GT500s. Both have had the lenses cleaned and buffed, but the one on the right has been painted already. I kept the one on the left bare for mock-up if I use them. They also have a beveled base, so they will require a bit more work to the custom tailgate to make them work. I'm up to it, though, if it means getting the perfect look! By the way, I got both really nice grilles for these. I won't be using them, but they are NICE!

These are from a '69 Cougar and are dished rather than domed. They also have a flat base, which will make them easier to work with. The chrome is a bit much for me, but I'd have to use it because it holds the lenses in- and I'd also have to leave them whole, as they are way too nice to cut. These lenses have also been polished, but I have only stripped the bases so far.

And finally, these are from a '70 Cougar. The only difference between these and the '69s is that the grilles have thinner single fins rather than pairs. Since the grille on one has two broken fins and several bent fins, I would likely cut out all but the very end fin on each (since it holds the larger end together).

All of these will require a custom tailgate in order to work, but I'm looking forward to making it. What do you think? Which would you choose?

And projectbad78, I don't have a good pic at an angle on the front from a distance. I'll get one as soon as I can, but before then we'll have to see what Christmas turns up. My uncle has informed me that he has several nice sets of rims (factory and aftermarket) that should work. All I have to do is pick out what I want and haul 'em off.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with the 1970 style myself, and you even said you didn't care for all the chrome on the 1969 style.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
What if you mounted them straight up and down? Could be a cool effect with the sequentials going up (or down) with the turn signal.

Josh

Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
What if you mounted them straight up and down? Could be a cool effect with the sequentials going up (or down) with the turn signal.

Josh
The tailgate is about 22" high.

The '67s are 24" long.

The '69s and '70s are both 26 1/4" long.

I actually did try that just for kicks, but when I acually put them up on the tailgate to get an idea of how it looked, the first thing that I thought of was a transit bus. heheheh That is, after I immediately saw that they were too long to fit vertically.

The custom 'gate will have a molded-in ducktail spoiler that will make it about 4 1/2" higher, but it would only take that vertical look from transit bus to '50s space-car.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
TheresHellToPay
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin sweeet

Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM
nathandennis1
Junior User
I think the 67 or the 70 lights would look best I kinda like how the 67 lights pop out but i also like the black strips on the 70 lights. But anyways looks good!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll vote for the '70s as well....

It might be cool to put a custom (truck related somehow) false gas cap between them....

Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 PM
first today
Postmaster

I agree on the gas cap. If it spins to the side it would be a cool tailgate release behind the cap.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 PM
gstanfield
Senior User
Hmmm, I like the idea you have, but let me ask a simple question. If your goal is to make a GT500 truck (in concept admittedly and not actual replication of anything specific) why not go with the GT500 taillights themselves instead of cougar lights? Just an idea.

George

Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 PM
first today
Postmaster

Are you going to do some type of side air scoop or flared fenders?
I do not know how to photo shop.
If someone could, how would it look if you smoothed out the bed from the middle of the bed wheel well, back. This way you could make the side profile more similar to the gt 500.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ah the vertical sequential taillights, i thought of this awhile back for my truck, but then quickly released the Cougar/Shelby/T-Bird taillights are way to long to stack them vertical,

but i did think it would be neat to modify the stock taillights to have more bulbs, possibly 2 or three wide, and have them go 3-4 rows vertically, then when the brakes are applied the bottom row lights up, then the second and then the third and possibly the fourth row, then of course they stay on as you hold the brake, and have them sequential just like the Cougar/Shelby/T-Bird taillights,

all i needed was some electrical fab work to be done! and from what i was told it could be done, but it will involve some thinking and planning and work!

might still try the idea out in the future, possibly use LED bulbs to accomplish this task,

also Bowtie_Schmowtie did you get the electronics that go with the taillights? i think there is some electronics up by the actual switch???

also i do know the early taillights had some minor faults, as they where controlled by a electric motor and a mechanical cam type system to operate the light sequence (thus moving parts can wear out or break and are known to cause some grief sometimes), thus Ford adapted a electronic version later on, not sure what year they went all electric? just thought i would mention that,

also this project is interesting, and i can't wait to see the finished product, also the 2009 and 2010 F-150s kinda have a tailgate spoiler to them,

also you could put the Shelby taillights where the FORD lettering goes on the tailgate, just have them sunk in and fabricate a filler panel to surround them, not sure the dimensions, but its worth a try, then maybe have SHELBY spelled in chrome lettering across the top of the tailgate edge, and put SHELBY chrome letters in the front grille? i know there is more work with putting SHELBY in the grille, as there is tabs for the FORD lettering, but i am sure you can think of something,

-Brent

Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Carny
Senior User
The 67's look the closest to this:

There seems to be a lot of variation between cars though, unless a lot of the pics I found aren't actual shelby's. Many have the center two lights lower on the grill

Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1977f150xlt
also Bowtie_Schmowtie did you get the electronics that go with the taillights? i think there is some electronics up by the actual switch???

also i do know the early taillights had some minor faults, as they where controlled by a electric motor and a mechanical cam type system to operate the light sequence (thus moving parts can wear out or break and are known to cause some grief sometimes), thus Ford adapted a electronic version later on, not sure what year they went all electric? just thought i would mention that,
The mechanical and later electronic sequencer was mounted in the trunk.

The T-birds of the era had the same system as well.

Josh

Old 12-19-2009, 12:40 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
ah good to know Bullitt390, and as you know i still have that vertical sequential tailight idea cooking on the back burner of my mind! lol lol

but i will post my progress on that little project, (once i make some! lol lol )

-Brent

Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 AM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
i am thinking some dual side exhausts pipes out on either side (infront of the rear tires) kinda like the Cobra cars, something like Lake pipes, as they where once known back then, would also be a neat touch to this Shelby Dentside, and maybe even a Shelby replica Wooden steering wheel? and even Shelby side scoops would look cool, maybe more so on a short box truck, mind you is this truck even a short box Bowtie_Schmowtie ????? also a Mustang/Torino Hood scoop would also set off the look even more!

-Brent

Quick Reply: My GT500 truck build thread...picture intensive!!!!