Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Freshman User

rancid is starting off with a positive reputation.
propane, cng, or e85 in my 2000 v10

Looking at running an alternitive fuel and I'm leaning towards e85. But just wondering what everybody thinks. My truck is 2000 f250 4wd ext cab shortbed with a auto.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Elder User

gasman6674 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know there are cng and lpg kits availible for your unit. The only issues would be tank size (bed or underbody mount) and age of the engine. If you are planing on doing or have done a rebuild then go for it. I have a flex fuel sport trac and I have run E85 in it and was pleasantly surprized with proformance but my milage drop and avg of 3 mpg

good luck
2012 Escape Ltd FWD,2004 Escape Ltd FWD,2012 Ridgeline by Yellowstone Fifth Wheel, (1996 F350 7.3L CCLB DRWFor Sale(2005 Explorer Sport Trac 2WD SOLD)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
E85 is way easier to do, CNG the most difficult. What is the motivation, environment or economy? CNG is the cleanest by far, but most limited as far as range and refueling infrastructure. LPG costs as much as gasoline or diesel around here, so there is no payback.

Jim
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior User

Elderstarr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stock compression ratio is 9.2:1 which is not enough to gain any mileage or power gains on CNG or propane. I wouldn't do it unless propane is REALLY cheap in your area.

To gain from CNG or propane, you can shave the heads as far as possible to bump C.R. While doing that, get hardened valve seats installed in your head. This will probably cost $1000, but check into rebate programs in your area.

Easiest & Cheapest: E85.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior User

fraso is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which conversion you go with really depends upon the price of each fuel in your area, its availability, and how much fuel you go through annually for its payback.

There are V10-specific LPG and CNG kits available but none are EPA-certified so they would be difficult to be commercially installed in the USA. CNG systems are generally not available to the DIY installer so CNG conversions are even more difficult. I have no idea if there is an EPA-certified E85 kit available but I would expect that it would easier to DIY install it.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage

Tags
2000, 2011, 67, cng, diesel, e85, equipment, factory, ford, installed, kit, kits, payback, programs, propane, trucks, v10, www