General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

our dog tore his ACL !

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
our dog tore his ACL !

We just got home from our veterinarian. Our 2 year old rottweiler,"Paxton" has torn his ACL in his left hind leg. So we are going to have it surgically repaired on Monday morning. A few days ago My wife Heather was in the back yard with our 2 dogs,Paxton (the young one) was running around a little,and yelped.Then started to lift up his left leg and limp around. We have bin limiting his activities ever since,but today we were able to consult our vet. It's not what we were hoping to hear,Heather has been really upset since he hurt himself. I told her not to worry or get stressed out.
It is treatable with surgery,and he will fully recover. The recovery time is long,he will be very limited on his activities for 4 months. Only short walks and exercise. its expensive ,but our dogs are our family members. So we are okay with the price for them to have a good healthy life.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My dog had hers done at about the same age.
That was 3 years ago and although her gait has changed she is still quite active and doesn't seem to be in any pain.
The 16 weeks will just fly by.
I hope you have a good surgeon. You'll be glad you did it!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
My climbing partner's dog tore his ACL and the bill was 4 grand!!! I'm all for loving on the pets, but dang!! That's a lot of money!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

$2500 all in for mine.

She was 2 years old at the time, and my constant companion.
I was given the amputation option "So it won't get in the way"
I divided it by the 14 years I figured she might live past the time of her injury and knew she was worth a hell of a lot more than that to me.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Oh, I wasn't saying it wasn't worth it!! But, coming up with that kind of cash these days, can be really hard for some people!!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

It was for me, and that was before the sh.....ip sank.
My Vet allowed me to barter some work for over half of it.
I built a new lab in some adjacent space in her building.
Partition walls, rock & tape, tile the floors and hang some doors.
She got a good deal, but so did I.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my greyhound just had surgery to remove his 16 kidney stones. poor guy! he would go out in the backyard to pee and he would assume the position but nothing would come out and he would yelp. went to the vet and got an x-ray and all 16 stones were lined up like peas in his ****** blocking everything. they ended up flushing them all back up into his bladder so he could pee then i took him back the next morning for the surgery. about 900 bucks for that.........

Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Wow! That' great she bartered with you!! The world needs more of that!

My mom had a cat that kept getting crystals in his bladder, and would get completely blocked up and couldn't pee. They removed his ******, said it would make the opening larger and he could pee them out. She spent 7 grand before it was all over and the poor thing still died. I don't know what was sadder, watching the cat suffer like that, or watching her rack up her credit cards trying so desperately to save him.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a big (130lbs) Akita who broke both her ACLs six months apart. That totaled over six thousand bucks, and that was all in her first year. She was not very athletic after that except when there was a bear around and then she disregarded any pain she was feeling. She would jump on a bear in a second.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by Snowbunny
My mom had a cat that kept getting crystals in his bladder, and would get completely blocked up and couldn't pee. They removed his ******, said it would make the opening larger and he could pee them out. She spent 7 grand before it was all over and the poor thing still died. I don't know what was sadder, watching the cat suffer like that, or watching her rack up her credit cards trying so desperately to save him.
Happens with people too.
American society really is hung up about living, even if there's no quality of life.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 AM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
I know it is costly,but we see our pets as family members,and their comfort is as important as ours. they deserve the best we can offer them.they in return give us great joy,and love. i could not bare seeing them suffer,knowing i could help them. Heather found the CKC breeder,they put us on the waiting list for a puppy.and we were blessed with Paxton. His daddy was in the latest X files movie. (He was the 2 headed rottweiler guard dog). as many pet owners, we love our pets,and if they need the vet to help them get better,then we deal with it. no one wants to have these things happen,but sometimes they do. i hope for everyone that has pets, that they have good healthy pets that live long happy lives.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Sparkadellic
New User
My Rottweiler had the same problem years ago, but it was the back right leg. Before we took her to the vet my wife and I decided no matter what we would do whatever it took to get Zeena back to full health. They told us the bad news after the x-rays. The vet told us what needed to be done, and we said do it, she is part of the family. I was shocked when he told us the price though. She is gettin old now, and we noticing her nursing that leg when she tries to get up now. It will be a hard day when she leaves us.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Acl

My German Shorthaired had both ACL's done within a year of each other. Cost was $700.00 each, no post problems.
Best CB

Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Did you ask about any non-surgical options for treating the dog? I had a Lab who had knee problems and the original vet said surgery was the only option. I got a second opinion from another vet who recommended we try glucosamine/condroitin pills. Our dog was on those for the rest of his life and after a couple months on them his limping stopped and he had another happy, healthy six years or so.

Not saying it could be as simple as some pills but I always like a second opinion for big ticket items.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My German Shepherd jumped out of a second story window many year ago while I was at work. Took her to the vet and my vet gave me two options one was three months and $2800 the other was 12 months and $300 She said if I was a really good pet owner and would not let my dog go up and down stairs, get in and out of truck by herself walk her on a leash and keep her in a kennel while she was at home alone that it would heal on its own. Well 12 long months latter she was better she still 4 years later hops with her back legs together, like a rabbit, when she run

Quick Reply: our dog tore his ACL !