1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM
30dodge
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring harness

I am nearly finished with transplanting my 86 302 motor in the 52 F-7 truck but still need to deal with wiring harness which is the onlt thing I have zero skill with, even basic wiring has always eluded me so confidence being the # assett is definitely not on my side. I need help tying the ECM in with the kwik-wire wiring kit that I have. I am assuming that all sensors/injectors that are needed for the motor to run properly are fed into the ECM and then the ECM relays back to the different doohickeys how to behave, I am assuming that the ECM only needs to be powered up somehow to work correctly, I have a basic wiring diagram but am not litterate on how to read it so any help would be nice. I am assuming that someone out there has done this. I called KWIK-WIRE and they are telling me that they do not sell a seperate engine management kit but that I need to tie what I already have from 86 motor into their wiring kit.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Usually the EFI systems need at least 3 wires from the harness..

ground
power all the time (direct from battery)
and switched power..

don't know what that specific EFI setup needs.. a wiring diagram of the EFI would be required to figure that out..

sam

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a harness that takes minimal smarts on your end check out The Detail Zone. They make custom harnesses for most EFI engines. Also, Ford Racing is offering some harnesses for EFI engines but I'm not sure which ones. www.thedetailzone.com

Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://fordfuelinjection.com/ is my favorite EFI page.
Lots of info and how to's......... also I think they they sell EFI wiring harness......... the best thing about Ford EFI systems is they are stand-alone...... meaning the harness they use can be installed/removed separate from the engine harness, oil pressure, water temp, rpm, alternator etc. So it is very easy to add EFI to older non-EFI engines.... or remove it for a carb setup.
The ECM basically uses its own sensors, water temp, O2, air pressure etc to determine the fuel added by the injectors and the timing/firing of the distributor.........really a fairly simply system so don't be scared by it.
Anyway try reading the above link it may help

Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
30dodge
Senior User
Thanks for the info, I will do that and get back if need be hopefully before I burn anything to the ground

Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vendor you might check out is FAST, Fuel/Air/Spark Technology.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
30dodge
Senior User
That ford fuel injection site seems real good, hopefully get me where I need to be.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
30dodge
Senior User
Sparky, maybe you can shed somelight for me because I am not comp. literate.
1- I click on the link you have provided, that takes me to home page
2- I go down to fifth section lableled truck computers and click on that which takes me to truck computer pin-outs
3-Looking at top row which is labeled year I travel over to third row labeled 85-86 which is the vehicle I am dealing with.
4-There is a column to extreme left numbered 1-60 and I am assuming this is the pin count on my connector that plugs into ECM but how do I read this or which direction. The abbreviations are very helpfull and I notice for instance that there are possible many pins that my vehicle does not use if I am reading correctly.
Shed some light someone on how to read this, thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
On the bottom of this page http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=74
it shows how the ECM plug is numbered.
Sounds like you are reading the pinout correct..... pin numbers are on the extreme left and they correspond to the year column....... so down the number column to get pin number and across to the year column to get what pin/wire is for....... and yes there are blank pins.... I believe that is because the same connectors were used for different ECM/engines so required more/less wires.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
30dodge
Senior User
Whonever put that site together should be commended, it is a wealth of info that is understandable. Thanks Sparky, am attempting this weekend to get thinsg wired, hoping my buddy follows thru with helping me as is is more experienced, he more of a mechanic, I am a bodyman.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
30dodge
Senior User
I have been under the assumption that I needed to only get a couple/few wires juice and ground and the computer with all of its little gerbals inside would send whatever was needed throughout the engine so that it ran optimally. After studying the info on the website that Sparky provided and talking with one other gentleman this afternoon whom did a similar deal as I it looks like as if some of the circuits get a very small amount of juice...Do I need some sort of voltage reducer anywhere or is that already in the system.
I have no clue what I am getting myself into and tend to overanalyze everything so bear with me. Thanks

Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 AM
30dodge
Senior User
Going over the actual ECM on my truck today and neither the wiring diagram I aquired from the generic parts store book nor the pin-out chart on that website that you had given me Sparky correspond with what I have in my truck. As a fact NOTHING corresponds with each other, neither the wiring diagram nor pin-out chart nor my truck if you get my meaning so whats next? I feel confident that I am not a victim of someone in the past swapping entire drivetrains in my truck as I could tell upon dissasembly that it was where it was put in 86 so I guess I am a victim of innacurate info, any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Well....... you do not need a voltage reducer as the ECM handles that..... as for nothing matching how about taking the part number off the ECM and asking a parts store or Ford dealer what year it is from..........maybe even post it here and we can figure out what it is.........or are you sure it is an 86??
Another way is to layout the ECM harness, remove all the tape, ties,etc..........then route it in the engine one sensor at a time....99% of the sensors are on or attached to the intake manifold...let me look through my files and see if I have some more "how-to's" that may help

edit
I found this one not exactly the same engine but same idea
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...250_Truck.html
and this one
http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/76
and this page of links
http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Eng...ersion_-_5_0L/

Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
30dodge
Senior User
Thanks Sparky, I need to spend time looking over your edited links before I ask anything further so I dont waste your time. This will take me a little time. Appreciate your time

Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
30dodge
Senior User
Got her running this A.M, paid a guy 100 bucks to come from Clearwater to hook up 4 wires and show me what hoses I needed and what I could get rid of. He was here maybe 15 min, prob. quickest 100 he ever made but it was prob. the best 100 I ever spent. Runs great, idles smooth, took it down the road but couldnt get any speed because the tires are choppy and shot but I am happy, Now I need to get front end back on, wire in my lights, put a neutral safety switch in and a few oddball items. Then I need to get a job I guess so I cam buy some tires. Thanks to everyone that responded to this post.

Quick Reply: wiring harness