1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Looking for advice on general maintenance and upkeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
bigjohncs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on general maintenance and upkeep

Hello everyone. I drive a 1996 Ranger XLT (4.0, 4x4, 4R55E) with 152k. I purchased the truck last year for $2,700 when I replaced my 1982 F-150. I'm a college student, and I don't know much at all about upkeep and the basics I need to do on this truck.

So far I've had the following things done:

1. Total trans rebuild for ~$1,800
2. Ford Dealership cleaned up a bunch of engine codes and a moderate stuttering problem for ~$1,400
3. More trans work - reverse stopped working - for $1,500 (covered by warranty)
4. I change the oil every 3k
5. Changed the plugs and wires at 140k
6. new battery at 135k

I'd like this truck to last me until 2011 if possible. Can someone help me draw up a list of what I should do preventative maintenance wise? The only thing I can think of is regular oil changes, but I'm sure there are more things to be done to keep the truck in good shape.

Also, can someone point me in the right direction to buy a driver's side turn signal cover (just the orange piece)? I ran into a wild boar and smashed my light

Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. This is a great place to get good help and suggestions.

You should consider changing some of your filters - fuel and air particularly. If the air filter needs replacing, consider cleaning the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor with a spray cleaner specifically designed for that purpose.

You can look for a turn signal lens at a salvage yard, E-Bay, or LMC truck online.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 PM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you replaced the water pump and flushed the radiator?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep it clean, inside, outside, upside, downside.

When something breaks fix it, maintain it to keep things from breaking, Helm inc would have an owners manual and a maintainence schedule about 20 bucks.

If you really want to get into it, get the service manual and the powertrain control/emissions diagnosis manual as well, that's gonna be north of 200.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 AM
bigjohncs
Freshman User
michigan66:
I keep the air filter changed regularly, but I haven't paid much attention to the fuel filter. I'll give it a look. I'll also try to clean the MAF. I purchased a turn signal cover from eBay today for $17. Hopefully I'll be able to get it installed by myself haha I'm no mechanic by far.

sfcwoodret:
I haven't replaced the water pump, but I did flush the radiator back in April 09 when I had to replace the thermostat.

g_k50:
I am naturally a very clean and organized person, and my truck reflects that. I may purchase the owner's manual for $20, but I can't afford the one for $200. Thanks for the link.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

WOW, you've thrown some BIG bucks at this puppy lately.

You've come to the right place to learn how to properly maintain your Ranger & save some big bucks too!!! Their are folks on here with Rangers that have double & more, miles than yours, so if you don't beat it to death & properly maintain it, she should easily make it to 2011!!!!

You can begin saving $$$$ by down loading an owners manual here.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenanc...ls/default.asp

Then look through the "Tech Info" thread atop this forums thread listing page, as it has all kinds of helpful info links in it.

Maintain your Ranger to Fords scheduled maintenance call outs, that match your operating conditions & driving habits, with OEM Motorcraft, or products that say on their container that they meet or exceed Fords specifications.

If you are a short trip driver, or tow or haul in hot or cold weather extreems, in other words operate in severe service conditions as most of us do, then follow Fords severe service call outs, especially for fluids & filter replacement.

With the mileage on your Ranger, if you don't know it's history, I'd consider bringing this ride up to date on ALL past & present due scheduled maintenace items.

Consider changing ALL of the fluids, engine hoses & the serpentine belt, the PCV valve, grease & adjust the wheel bearings & if you have the two piece drive shaft, pull it & grease the splies.
Check your ball joints & their dust boots,bet the boots are dryrot cracked like mine were.

You should also check the O2 sensors switching speed with a scantool, as they get lazy/slow after about 75-100K miles & can affect mpg & drive-ability.

There are how-too's in the Tech info thread on doing all of this, as well as changing the tranny filter & doing a full fluid pump out, thats easy to do at home & will save BIG bucks. Same for the power steering, brake & cooling systems.
Seeing as how you've recently spent big bucks on tranny repair, you probably don't need to service the tranny now, but maybe later.

I recently did all of these things on my 99 Ranger & 94 Taurus 3.8L & it included new water pump, radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, all new OEM engine hoses & serpentine belt, along with a tranny & power steering & brake system flush, all done at home, using the Tech Info how-to guides.

So look over what you have & begin a systematic scheduled maintenance up date, on the most urgently needed items on your ride & it'll likely work real good & last a looooong time!!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
bigjohncs
Freshman User
Let me clarify a few things. I bought this truck from my step-dad when he upgraded to the F-350. He knew it had its fair share of problems, so he sold it to me for relatively cheap and agreed to pay for any major repairs that would need to be done in the future. I'm a 19 year old college student. I hardly have money to eat let alone have my trans rebuilt haha. So far he has paid for all the work that I've had done, and surprisingly enough the truck actually runs really well now.

I'm downloading that guide now. I only use this truck to drive to school, which is about 25 miles one way, and to work, about 9 miles one way. I have never hauled anything with it, and the most weight that gets put on it would be my old lady but in the past my step-dad did haul his 21ft pontoon boat a few times. I'm not sure of the weight, but this truck definitely struggled with it on the trip from here (east Tennessee) to northern Kentucky.

Since I don't know anything about mechanic work, I highly doubt I'll be able to do any of this maintenance myself. I'll have to take it somewhere, which won't be cheap. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
customstringer
Elder User
With the age of the truck, check the spare tire and carrier. If the truck never had a flat it wouldn't be unusual that the spare just has sat in the carrier and everything has seized up. It may take some cleaning up, penetrating solvent and lubrication to get the spare down, then you need to make sure the tire is properly inflated. You don't want to find out you can't use the spare when you need to!