1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Newbie with questions

Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
X-Phile336
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with questions

Hi, everybody! I'm a new and very proud owner of a 2002 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (5.4 V-8) that I picked up less than a week ago. It’s in really good condition, but relatively high in miles at 99,100 miles. I was just going over the owner’s manual and the maintenance manual to figure out my own maintenance schedule and was wondering what does everyone else do? I know this is a broad question, but I am only looking for what the average person who is semi-handy with engines / cars would do for upkeep. I can change my own oil, transfer case fluid and most other minor things, but, for example, should I even mess with the axle lubrication, or should I take it in? Is there a sticky that covers maintenance schedules? I want to do more than I have in the past with vehicle maintenance, but am not too sure of myself yet. Are the Chilton manuals good for helping out with general upkeep and repairs?

According to the owner’s manual, I should be coming up on the 100,000 mark to replace the PCV valve (unless already done at the dealership where I bought it {still checking on that}) – is this something easy to replace myself, or will I have to take it in?

Also, I was going over the maintenance manual and noticed that it recommends the fuel filter be changed out every 30,000 miles? Is this right, or is this sort of a disclaimer kind of thing from Ford?

Thanks in advance for any help. I want this to be like my grandpa’s truck and literally be the last truck I buy for at least the next 20 years.

Ben

Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Ron W.
Elder User
You're so close to 100K miles and if you don't know the repair and or maintainence history in my opinion change ALL the fluids and ALL the filters. Also change the spark plugs (use Motorcraft) and the line from the PCV to the back of the intake, the line includes the PCV valve. Inspect the belt and coolant hoses, inspect front and rear brakes. And use the 100K mark as though you bought the truck new. Your owners manual should give you the needed intervals for maintainence from then on.
Enjoy your truck and at 99K if it has been taken care of it's barely broken in.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought mine with 103k on it less than a year ago. Here's what I have had to do in the last 38k and 11 months...
Rebuild transmission - bear of a job, but love the way it shifts now
Changed every possible fluid
Front brakes (easy job)
PCV (to answer your question, this is the easiest thing you will ever replace on your truck)
Spark plugs and COPS (read the threads on here, they are awesome how-to guides!)
Fuel filter, air filter, numerous oil changes
Sunroof seal (was leaking)
Ball joints, front shocks, tires, upper control arms (check the play in these)

The HARDEST thing I had to do, believe it or not, was replace the oil dipstick tube that had rusted in half - you can't thread it back down through the exhaust manifold without bending it and the old one was rusted into the block. This, honestly, was the worst job ever, laying on the ground gettin' madder and madder. If you EVER take the exhaust manifold off consider replacing the tube. For $20 it would be worth it.

Now, all that said, I took the approach Ron W suggested. I figure every time I replace something it is just getting my truck one step closer to being new again! I love this truck and it is a shame it wasn't better taken care of. I get .50 a mile when I drive it for work - I probably put 20k on for work, so even with the high gas this summer, I have put around 5k in my pocket (actually just back into the truck) - so all these repairs have been covered finanacially. Like you, I plan to keep this one for a long long time.

I have the Haynes manual and it is ok, but this forum is far better. There are some great wrenches on here and they never mind sharing their wisdom and experience. I am not the best diagnostician, but I really like working on my own vehicle. I did the transmission a few weeks ago and have already put 3k on it and it has been great. Nothing like knowing you saved a bunch by doing the work yourself AND that it still runs.

Welcome and enjoy the truck.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mjunk1
The HARDEST thing I had to do, believe it or not, was replace the oil dipstick tube that had rusted in half - you can't thread it back down through the exhaust manifold without bending it and the old one was rusted into the block. This, honestly, was the worst job ever, laying on the ground gettin' madder and madder. If you EVER take the exhaust manifold off consider replacing the tube. For $20 it would be worth it.
I agree. When I put my longtubes in that dipstick was a pain! After patiently wiggling it left to right I eventually got it out....rubber seal was in good shape so I cleaned, re-greased it, and re-installed it.

Sparkplugs are a must at that mileage, COP's should need replacing unless you have a misfire....the boots tend to rip but thet are relatively cheap and give them a good dose of die-electric gease at the ends and the upper seal.

What the other guys said are definately good though.