Anti-sway set ups? Advice and pics needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
steve81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-sway set ups? Advice and pics needed

I just recently upgraded to a 27' travel trailer and I'm looking for some advice on anti-sway options. I bought the trailer out of town and while towing it home, I noticed some trailer sway while going down the highway, especially when passing on-coming big rigs and areas where the wind was gusty. I have an F-350 and the trailer weighs about 4800 lbs dry. When hooked up to the trailer, the truck doesn't squat, so I don't think I need the weight distribution option.

Would I be ok with just buying an anti-sway dampener or should I get a weight distribution and anti-sway kit? Does anyone recommend a particular brand/manufacturer and a place on the internet to buy it? If you have pictures of your set-up, I'd love to see them. It might give me a piece of mind since I'm new to towing bigger trailers.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Some trailers are better behaved than others. I've never felt the need to put mine on, even though I've carried it with me constantly. My trailer is shorter of course.

First thing I would do is check out your tongue weight. It needs to be at least 10% of the total trailer weight. You might need to work on balancing the items in your trailer for a better load distribution. If you are light on the tongue you risk serious sway issues, especially on downgrades.

Even so, you'll probably want some kind of sway control for a 27' unit. Those are usually combined with a WD hitch of some kind. I just have a friction slide unit similar to this:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ol-right/42235

It attaches to my WD hitch on it's own small ball right next to the hitch ball. The TT then has a similar small ball on the tongue. The sway control unit attaches between those two *****, and you can vary the friction in the slide.

You can get a regular drawbar that is not a WD hitch, but has an attachment on the side for the sway control. They can be a little harder to find, but I know etrailer.com has them.

Example: http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BMC3~D320.htm

Check out this glossary too: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Old 07-23-2009, 12:52 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
I would get setup with a load equalizing hitch and the anti-sway dampener on a rig that size. the torsion bars come in different weight capacities so you need to work with the dealer to know which one to get, to big and you trans fer too much weight, not big enough and you don't transfer enough. Sway dampener I have is also adjustable for the amount of dampening. Need to experiment while towing to find the sweet spot.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, a travel rv runs 15-20% of the weight on the hitch. more if you are not careful what tank is full, where you crap is stored etc.

a w/d setus ip preferred - but pricey (about $275 for the mount and head unit and bars)

I have a boat trailer with 440lbs on the tongue and it used to BEND a CL3 hitch....

If you do not want a w/d but want sway control ez-lift makes a control that hooks only a 1" ball on the mount, and the trailer A-frame and uses essentially brake pads to clamp on a steel bar that slides in and out.

here is a link to one with a picture: http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=44&CID=255

(my inclusion of the link in no way is a vendor endorsement, but I do endorse the product having owned, installed, and used such for me and customers for nigh onto 2 decades)

the second chrome ball goes on the ball mount, but if you have a regular ball mount, there is a plate you can get that is drilled to accept the 1" ball and your regular trailer ball goes down between.

Here is a picture of that item as well: http://www.etrailer.com/p-26003.htm

I also personally own this device used on a 2klb popup camper that likes to set my wagon to a swaying

I wont get into how to install - the instructions cover that. I will say however, disconnect the unit before backing into slots - I have heard where they can bind and bend when going from 'extended' to 'closed'

Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
steve81
Senior User
Thanks for the advice guys, this really helps. I'm not exactly sure how much weight is on the tongue. I forgot to mention that since the truck (stock height) doesn't squat with the trailer hooked on, the front of the trailer is up higher than the rear. I was thinking of maybe finding an adjustable hitch with the hole on the side to add a ball for a sway bar, but this seems to be a rare find. I will probably just go with the complete w/d and sway bar set up.

Steve

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by steve81
I will probably just go with the complete w/d and sway bar set up.

Steve

I think that's your best bet. You can decide later whether you need the load lifting tension bars or not, and the hitch is otherwise fully functional without the bars.

Incidentally, the trailer being nose high probably contributed to your sway problems. You need to shoot for level.

On edit let me add, your F350 may well not sag with only a 27' TT in tow. However, your hitch is only rated for 500# of tongue weight unless you use the WD hitch. That almost certainly means you need one.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another 2 cents: its not a good idea to run a w/d head unit WITHOUT the bars....the head pivots about the mounts and is typically stopped by a steel 'button' in the vertical channel and the lower bolt in the lower slotted hole.

constantly banging back and forth will eat thru a number of things: the bolt, the ball shank, and deform/mushroom the button