Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DB Electrical Alternator - from bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
I put the DB high torque starter and an alternater on my truck over 1 1/2 years ago and still doing fine.
Since then put one of they're starters on my '86 and my lawn tractor and an alternator on wifes merc
Hi-torque starter on the riding mower I like the sounds of that.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a regular starter on the mower but they were $40 cheaper than any others i found

Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 AM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
thanks

I'm going to install the 'new' one and see if it has the same problems as the old one. If it does, its back to DB elec for a refund.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whats the word on DB Electrical? I read on some other forums that DB Electrical went cheap and started making them in china and now they are no good. I think I need a new alt and I really need a higher output, but dont want to modify anything for the 6.0 alt, just looking for plug and play.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Studawg
I think I need a new alt and I really need a higher output
130A F-Series Diesel Truck Alternator

200A High Output F-Series Diesel Truck Alternator

Stewart

Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get yours rebuilt at a shop that does rebuilds for you local municipality for police cars, garbage trucks etc. Towns have tight bugets and need reliable hardware. I got mine rebuilt from a shop like that before it went out and got a 130 amp oem he had in stock and put that on the truck. Now I have the original for a spare. Most rebuilders use quality parts internally, not cheap chinee made stuff. I bash stuff made in China all the time, but to be fair, when they have to, I guess they can make some good products when they are required to meet certain specs for a contract making things like iphones and computors. I was actually a little annoyed when I saw made in China on the Motorcraft box that new rotors came in, but figured it has Ford on them so they must meet Fords standard. I'm rambling now, so OEM for me.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 AM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Update: the replacement that DB electrical sent me in 09 is still working with no issues. They might have had a rough patch with a supplier part.

It would be great to hear from members who have purchased and installed a DB electrical alternator in 2012. Any issues? Still working?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed one of there starters on my Kaw ATV about a year ago and working great so far !! Priced compared to a new Kaw starter was a no brainier!! Fingers crossed!!

Smokie

Old 10-21-2013, 05:46 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 201 Likes on 108 Posts
None of my DB's made it any further than about 40K miles. I've switched over to Nations Auto Electric at this point for both starters and alternators. I also found some GENUINE Nippondenso starters at my local rebuilder this past spring (not Denso-STYLE units), each one rebuilt with solid parts, and bought all three of them. I'm running one of them on my Excursion with zero issues, and have two hot spares on the shelf. The Mitsubishi starter I purchased (for my F250) a while back is doing OK, but has given me a few sporadic events of not engaging very well. I keep meaning to toss one of the hto spares into the back of the truck and be ready in case the Mitsu leaves me on the side of the road.

Bottom line for me is that I won't go back to DB at this point.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
The Mitsubishi starter I purchased (for my F250) a while back is doing OK, but has given me a few sporadic events of not engaging very well.

All the DB starters I tried would do that. I gave up on them, who needs flywheel/ring gear damage? I went back to OEM.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by F250_
None of my DB's made it any further than about 40K miles. I've switched over to Nations Auto Electric at this point for both starters and alternators. I also found some GENUINE Nippondenso starters at my local rebuilder this past spring (not Denso-STYLE units), each one rebuilt with solid parts, and bought all three of them. I'm running one of them on my Excursion with zero issues, and have two hot spares on the shelf. The Mitsubishi starter I purchased (for my F250) a while back is doing OK, but has given me a few sporadic events of not engaging very well. I keep meaning to toss one of the hto spares into the back of the truck and be ready in case the Mitsu leaves me on the side of the road.

Thanks Pete for that info, Nations Auto Electric looks like a good outfit. Made in America with all new parts. I think I am going to get the 160A for $250.

I recently made a long trip up north and back and it was raining the whole time. I had a lot of accessories running for an extended period of time and I think it killed my reman alt. that I put on about 2 years ago. I was running wipers on high, all my lights, trailer lights, electric trailer brakes, defrost with AC, radio, satellite radio, phone charger. My instrument lights started going a little dim on the way back. Then my ABS light came on and radio went off. I wondered WTH? and happened to turn my lights off and the ABS light went off and the radio came back on. At this point it had stopped raining so I immediately turned off all lights and accessories. Once I got back, over the next few days the batteries got weaker and weaker, and I started hearing a slight hum which I think is coming from the alt., until finally there wasnt enough juice to crank the truck. The Interstate batteries are almost 3 years old.

I think that the 160 amp will be enough for my needs.

Will I need to upgrade the power wire from the alt to battery for this amperage? I read somewhere else that if the alt is 200A or above, you would need to do this, but I wonder if I would need to for only 160.

Also wondering if I will need to replace my batteries after this.

Im just kinda thinking out loud here, but any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used one of the hd 140 amp alternators on my 02 for 3 years with god luck, I plow snow with the truck also.

Jmo
#1 High Output Alternator, Upgrades, Conversions, Starters, Parts, Kits and More!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Studawg, I bet your batteries are okay. This happen to me at night and I charged them off another car. Worked for a little bit. Next morning did this twice and got almost home and it died in the drive way of ford. Put a new alternator in and they lasted another three years. They were also interstate batteries. 1000cca. they lasted six and a half years total. I went to motorcraft they lasted four years so I just went back to interstate.They really worked good for me.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Thanks Bonanza

Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 201 Likes on 108 Posts
For the power wire, you'll have to refer to the amperage-vs-wire gauge-vs- distance to make sure you're OK. I did not replace mine when I installed my 160 amp alternator with a remote bridge rectifier, but I DID run a second cable to my driver side battery, complete with inline fuse. I believe you're OK until you hit something like the 200 amp mark you referenced.

I would also agree that your batts are probably fine.

Quick Reply: DB Electrical Alternator - from bad to worse