1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tailgate lettering to paint or not to paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:47 AM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate lettering to paint or not to paint

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...photoid=205313

My wife and i have been debating if we should paint the Ford lettering on the tailgate.
I like it the way it is buy she thinks it should be painted.

I hope the photo attaches to this post. Let me know what you all think.

Terry

Old 07-18-2009, 05:49 AM
tlb
Elder User

My wife and i have been debating if we should paint the Ford lettering on the tailgate.
I like it the way it is buy she thinks it should be painted.

I hope the photo attaches to this post. Let me know what you all think.

Terry

Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 AM
tlb
Elder User

Sorry. Posted the wrong pictures. I still don't have this picture thing all figured out. If you look in my gallery there is a good picture of the tailgate.

Terry

To soon old to late smart.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 AM
deyomatic
Senior User
I tend to agree with her...being the same color as the body it looks like it needs something to set it...almost looks like you're trying to hide it...and if you're trying to hide it you should get one of those blank tailgates or cut or grind this out and fill it in flat. Something tells me that you don't want to do that after spending time/effort/money on such nice paing.
Even if you just traced the outside of the letters with One Shot.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
paint it

I'm going to use the grill color which will be consistent with the rim color

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 AM
RicManSr
Cross-Country
Paint it..........

Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it depends on the color, metallic and possibly pearl in your paint. I have elected not to paint mine because the color and pearl in the paint already highlight the lettering.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
On my 82 I desided to paint the letters in instead of using decals like the factory did. Looks better and is way more durable. The pin striping decal I put on to seperate the blue and the argent silver is already starting to peel off and let loose so god knows the letters would have done the same thing.

But I think the letters look best painted in or different color. But I also think they look good not painted in and just same color as the rest. I only did mine cause its a two tone paint job and it would set off better with blue letters.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
As soon as I figure out how to paint them without any risk of messing up the tailgate paint (mistakes etc), I'll do mine. I'd like to spray-can it, but don't trust masking tape. (script letters)

Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I used masking tape but i used the stuff bought from a paint shop and even then I used my fingers to remove some of the tact from the tape before applying it. Even then I didnt apply it with alot of force just lightly pressed it down. Then I came back with the spray can and sprayed the letters in. Let dry for a good 12 hours then removed the tape slowly.

Only thing the masking takes time on my 82 it took the better part of a day to mask it and I sprayed it on the next day.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:10 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I painted mine with a color close to the fender color on the truck. Go to a car show and get the pin stripper there to do it. I had mine done and he put a stripe around all of the raised panels on the tailgate with the same color. He did it freehand, took all of a half hour and cost $50. Made me happy. Here is a picture, sorry for my shadow right in the middle. There is a picture of it before I painted it in my gallery.

Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Tumblindyce
Senior User
Hi, I'm kind of new here--enjoy the forum very much--lot's to learn. I've been pondering the same question that tlb has posed--whether or not to paint the letters on the tailgate. I finally figured out how to post my photo album and would love to get some opinions from you guys. Thanks!

My album is called "My 1960 F100"

ps: tlb, I grew up very close to your town and have been there MANY times! One of my brothers still lives there, though I live in Vegas now.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:15 PM
frigerator
Elder User
I agree with most, you should paint the lettering. Make it stand out and be a proud owner. tumblindyce, I see that you have a 60 hood but everything else Isn't, . Did you change everything?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
With that red black lettering would look very good on it. I'm one for subtle. If your paint has metalic or pearl in it you might consider having a black that matches, all really depends...

Old 07-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Tumblindyce
Senior User
Frigerator,

I bought the truck this way. I'm not an expert on these trucks...I was looking for a classic truck for quite some time and this one caught me eye. I like it because it's a 60 (the inspector at the DMV checked the vin stamp on the frame against the # on the title, which indicates that it is indeed a 1960). And, 1960 was the year I was born, which is kind of cool. Somewhere along the way, the front end was changed to what looks to me to be 1958. That's one of the things that attracted me to the truck--I like the 58 front end best out of the 57-60 models. You say the hood is the only part that you recognize as being 1960...I know the front end isn't 60, but was there a difference in the body panels, tailgate, etc?? Thanks for any info on my new truck and didn't mean to hijack the thread....

Quick Reply: Tailgate lettering to paint or not to paint