1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sealing the cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealing the cab

Ok, while doing other work I noticed there seamed to be some sealing missing around the cab and so I started looking at is closer and it looks like I am missing all of the cowl to fender seals. I think this is how water is getting into the door wells. the two spots that are glaring are the top back of front fender to cab seal and the front fender rear to body pillar seal. I am going to order them from DC but was wondering how they get attached to the body? Please instruct me like I am a idiot or atleast a 5 year old, my wife says both apply.
Thanks
Cbass

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cbass139
Ok, while doing other work I noticed there seamed to be some sealing missing around the cab and so I started looking at is closer and it looks like I am missing all of the cowl to fender seals. I think this is how water is getting into the door wells. the two spots that are glaring are the top back of front fender to cab seal and the front fender rear to body pillar seal. I am going to order them from DC but was wondering how they get attached to the body? Please instruct me like I am a idiot or atleast a 5 year old, my wife says both apply.
Thanks
Cbass
door wells? you mean the cab corner?

the fender welting (between the fenders and the cab) won't keep out much water.
I always wondered about the new access holes in the front edge of the cab corners, cause they aren't a perfect seal and now water will stream in (direct from the tires at speed).. (this is where my front speakers are, in the kick panel area)..

I didn't put fender welting back on mine

Sam

Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
cbass139
Senior User
No not the cab corners, the door wells. I am not sure what the real name for them but the step coming in from the door. I get water in there when I wash or it rains. It is no were near the amount that I got before I changed all of the weatherstripping but needless to to say I would rather not have any water on the inside of the cab. I thought it was coming in from between the front fender and the front pillar post (what we call the "A" post at the fire dept.). That is why I thought the missing seal at this point was the reason for the water coming in and the fact that DC calls it seal made me think in would seal the water out of this area.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

No not the cab corners, the door wells. I am not sure what the real name for them but the step coming in from the door. I get water in there when I wash or it rains. It is no were near the amount that I got before I changed all of the weatherstripping but needless to to say I would rather not have any water on the inside of the cab. I thought it was coming in from between the front fender and the front pillar post (what we call the "A" post at the fire dept.). That is why I thought the missing seal at this point was the reason for the water coming in and the fact that DC calls it seal made me think in would seal the water out of this area.
Ok, on the bottom of the door, lower than the floor, there is supposed to be a gasket, in a crimp style channel across the door. the front door edge gasket goes further down than this, so theoretically it stops water from getting above the front edge of this gasket.
you can see the crimps on the bottom of the door, and the angled lip in the two attached pics

I haven't put mine on yet, the door is very tight here..

the crimps will rub on the little angled edge of the door sill plate if they are not pressed back enough (I know, scratched the paint here)..

sam

Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
cbass139
Senior User
On the door itself? isnt this where the weather stripping goes? I can see water dripping down but cant locate from where. I will probably wash it in the next couple of days and try to pinpoint where the water is coming from but I would think that the "front fender rear to body pillar seal" as DC calls it is necessary, right?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I guess I don't understand the words.. here is a pic of the front of the cab at the corner.
there is no seam here
the bottom of the door is also protected by the running board.

the cab corner is the same as the kick panel area on the inside. there are the three fender bolts, but the amount of water thru there would be minimal, and the water should escape out the bottom of the corner if any got in. at the back of the corner is the door edge, and there is a gasket between, and then the running board, and then the bottom of the door and the gasket there (the crimped area)..

between the fender and the body there is a welting gasket, but again, not much water would get thru there, and the door gasket should stop any flow into the door seam.

where is the water inside the door itself? (down thru the window wipe?)
or inside the truck at the door/floor edge?

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 PM
low54
Elder User
that's some sweet finish work stedwiel...your right about the gaps to, they don't line up very well...then the original weatherstrip replacement pushes out the door, I like the new version from Mid fifty, its hollow, allows better sealing in my opinion

Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
cbass139
Senior User
I see where are problem is, the 55 has a seperation between the fender seam and the door seem. On my 58 the fender comes all the way back to the door seam. In the picture above my fender would come all the way to the second tape line on the front of the cab. So there is a seam that needs to be filled between it and the cowl at this point, right where the front endge of the door is. This is where the water appears to be coming from but have not looked that hard into it but again I just wonder if there is supposed to be a sealer at this point how do I put it in?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM
52 F3
Elder User
The fender seals will not help with water entering the cab.

The water must be getting past the door seals or in through the holes where the fenders attach.

Here is a picture of a cab with the fender removed. If you can see it well enough you can see that it would still seal the inside from water with the door seal even with the fender off. The oblong hole you see at the top is where the top fender attachment bolt goes. Water could be coming threugh there. You can see it by looking up under the dash. The bolt goes in with the bolt head inside the cab.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Thanks 52 f3 that clears that up. I wonder about the seam just out of frame on your picture. It is almost like a driprail and to me it looks like it would funnel water to the area of the door where the weather stripping "jogs" and maybe the water could be coming in there as well?
I will check the area around the bolt holes.
Thanks again.
Cbass

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

never mind.. this is on a 58 which is completely different.. using the flush mount fenders/doors..

Sam

Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
52 F3
Elder User
I wonder about the seam just out of frame on your picture. It is almost like a driprail and to me it looks like it would funnel water to the area of the door where the weather stripping "jogs"
That does appear to serve as sort of drip rail and would channel the majority of the water either forward or back depending on how the truck was parked. If it is parked with the front end up hill it would send a lot of water right onto the door seal at the dog leg. That may be where it is leaking.
Let us know what you find.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that's a nice nice green great color choice.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
59 shorty
Senior User
Fender seals on 57-60

This may help.There is indeed a seal that runs the ful length of the fender from top to bottom at the area of the fender attachment bolts.It's about 1/2" square and is glued to the fender not the cab.There is also the rubber insert that fills the channel in the cab at the top of the fender. It may look like a rain channel if this peice is missing. On my 59 worn windsheild wipper studs were a big soarce of water comming into the cab. Mark

Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
cbass139
Senior User
I will look into that option but I think my biggest problem is that my window felt is none existed and thus water runs down the inside of the door and into the truck through the poorly sealed access panel. Those two points will be my first line of attack. Thanks for the help and any more ideas are always appreciated.

Cbass

Quick Reply: Sealing the cab