2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Acutrac system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
mstan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acutrac system

Anyone having any troubles with this Acutrac system. I just bought a low mileage 07 Expedition. For some unknown reason at unexpected times when going around a curve not fast or recklessly. It sets off. Any clues here?

Mark

Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
chuck s
Elder User
No Acutrac system in Fords. From an old article. High rate of body lean may trigger it.

Ford is the first automaker to develop AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ technology – an active stability enhancement system that significantly builds upon existing stability control systems on the market today. While typical electronic stability control systems are designed to control yaw or spin-out only, Ford’s AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ goes one important step further.

AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ adds a second gyroscopic roll sensor to determine the vehicle’s body roll angle and roll rate. If this unique roll rate sensor detects that the vehicle is about to roll, the system automatically applies additional countermeasures – such as reducing engine power 15 percent and/or applying brakes to one or more wheels – to enhance vehicle rollover resistance.

AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ – Four Systems in One

AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ is an integrated system of four major components – one more than typical electronic stability control systems. Ford’s exclusive vehicle roll motion sensor sets AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ apart from other automakers’ stability control systems and takes additional steps to enhance vehicle rollover resistance. The system includes:

Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)

Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) – this feature regulates brake pressure to help prevent wheel lock-up when trying to stop the vehicle.

Traction Control

When the system detects a loss of traction, this quickly responds by reducing engine power when necessary and selectively applying brake force to the slipping wheel while transferring power to the opposite wheel. It helps give drivers a more seamless and controlled driving experience.

Yaw Control

This component helps drivers avoid skidding and fishtailing. When understeer (which leads to skidding) or oversteer (which leads to fishtailing) is detected, the system selectively applies individual brakes and modifies engine power to maximize control.

Vehicle Roll Motion Sensor (a Ford exclusive)

Ford-exclusive AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ utilizes a gyroscopic sensor to help monitor vehicle roll motion approximately 150 times per second. If it detects the possibility of a rollover, the system automatically engages AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ to help keep all four wheels safely on the ground. This feature is especially beneficial when a vehicle is fully loaded.

Stability Control Plus Choice

On/Off Switch – For added security: AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ is automatically engaged each time the vehicle is started. However, a center-console button allows drivers to turn the system off on the rare occasion, such as during low-speed off-roading, or in deep snow or mud, when they may want the wheels to spin freely to help the tires "dig" for traction.

An Extra Measure of Control

The Ford AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ system adds another dimension of advanced technologies and software to monitor and control a vehicle’s roll motion during extreme maneuvers. AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ continuously calculates if the vehicle may be approaching a situation where rollover is probable and takes additional action to help enhance rollover resistance.
-- Chuck

Old 07-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm a fairly agressive driver and I haven't triggered the RSC on pavement yet

sure have gotten it a few times screwing around off the pavement though

Old 07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
gddyup
Senior User
I had mine trigger a couple of tiems when I first brought it home. Both times it was just after turning into my street, dry pavement, approx. 20 mph or so. The turn was just over 90 degrees. The system kicked in, bogged the motor down a little, the icon started to flash in the inof center, the whole ball of wax. Both times I stopped after it happened, shut the car off, turned it back on and had no issues. That was months ago and it has not happened since then.

My only guess is that it was relearning my driving pattern. The truck had 14k on it when I bought it and I could tell from it's performance that it had been "babied". I don't baby anything!! It runs excellent right now and I've had no issues with the RSC since those first couple of times.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
I'll add my .02 cents on this. I personally wasn't a fan of this system at first but after going to one sandy jobsite in south FL with the expedition EL and making it way back in 2wd I was impressed. I made it farther then anyone else did in 2wd, I went all the way back to the job and back out without issue even back up and turned around. I just kept the throttle about 25% or so and the traction and stability control did the rest. I must say I changed my mind on stability and traction control after driving this vehicle, it was almost like driving for dummies. I say the system works as good or better then the Mercedes Benz system used in the true body on frame MLs. again that's my .02 cents.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by montecarlo31
I'll add my .02 cents on this. I personally wasn't a fan of this system at first but after going to one sandy jobsite in south FL with the expedition EL and making it way back in 2wd I was impressed. I made it farther then anyone else did in 2wd, I went all the way back to the job and back out without issue even back up and turned around. I just kept the throttle about 25% or so and the traction and stability control did the rest. I must say I changed my mind on stability and traction control after driving this vehicle, it was almost like driving for dummies. I say the system works as good or better then the Mercedes Benz system used in the true body on frame MLs. again that's my .02 cents.
Ford RSC and TC doesn't do a damn thing to help you keep traction

what it does is cut engine power and hit the brakes if you have already lost traction.

Been that way since at least 2001 when the Mustangs got TC in the GT. I actually got my TC to activate on my today in my Mustang. It's like somebody hit it in the nuts...whole thing does a nosedive and depending on how bad you break 'em loose, the brakes will lock up...exactly like my 03 GT did.

When I got the RSC to go off in my Expy it did the same thing. Engine stumbled, and the brakes engaged...

I wish Ford would let you decide if you want it on or off. Not make you turn that crap off everytime. I feel the TC and RSC are dangerous personally.
What happens if you pull out and suddenly notice you did a retard action and someone was coming?

You stomp the gas and break a tire loose. TC and RSC engage, and now you are going nowhere, but that vehicle is still barralling towards.

Without TC and RSC, you'd get some tire spin, but your car would accelerate.

I cannot stand electrical nannies. I think you should be required to have a drivers test before being allowed to purchase a vehicle. That would weed out a bunch of retards who drive vehicles and have no concept of how to control said vehicle...World would be a safer place IMO
btw, Parking Lots would be a requirement of that test...f'ing idiots.

How hard is it to park a full-size in a stall? Really? I can do it just fine...so why does some jack-@ss need to crowd up on me with his POS

And if you see that lone nice big vehicle all by itself in the parking lot...why do ya have to park right next to it? nobody else for miles
sorry, rant off.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM
racinghoss
Senior User
We always turn ours off. I dont like it for reasons that tylus stated above. Also, I read somewhere that your mpg might increase with it off. Probably wont even use it on wet or slippery roads, since it has 4wd and I can maintain tighter control over the vehicle that way.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Mine has activated one (1) time I'm aware of during a turn on to a street in the dead of winter with patchy ice and water on the road. Took me by surprise.

-- Chuck

Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by tylus
Ford RSC and TC doesn't do a damn thing to help you keep traction

what it does is cut engine power and hit the brakes if you have already lost traction.

Been that way since at least 2001 when the Mustangs got TC in the GT. I actually got my TC to activate on my today in my Mustang. It's like somebody hit it in the nuts...whole thing does a nosedive and depending on how bad you break 'em loose, the brakes will lock up...exactly like my 03 GT did.

When I got the RSC to go off in my Expy it did the same thing. Engine stumbled, and the brakes engaged...

I wish Ford would let you decide if you want it on or off. Not make you turn that crap off everytime. I feel the TC and RSC are dangerous personally.
What happens if you pull out and suddenly notice you did a retard action and someone was coming?

You stomp the gas and break a tire loose. TC and RSC engage, and now you are going nowhere, but that vehicle is still barralling towards.

Without TC and RSC, you'd get some tire spin, but your car would accelerate.

I cannot stand electrical nannies. I think you should be required to have a drivers test before being allowed to purchase a vehicle. That would weed out a bunch of retards who drive vehicles and have no concept of how to control said vehicle...World would be a safer place IMO
btw, Parking Lots would be a requirement of that test...f'ing idiots.

How hard is it to park a full-size in a stall? Really? I can do it just fine...so why does some jack-@ss need to crowd up on me with his POS

And if you see that lone nice big vehicle all by itself in the parking lot...why do ya have to park right next to it? nobody else for miles
sorry, rant off.
It helps keep traction once it's lost it also helps keep momentum. I've never had a problem pulling out and it cutting engine power even in the rain but then again it isn't exactly a race car. I am also an attentive driver, I don't pull out then go oh crap I didn't look.

As for parking, I must so 99.9% of expedition owners have trouble parking them, I drive a 157" wb truck so when I drive the expedition it feels like a pinto, I can whip it into any spot no problem.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure the TC works in concert with the stability controls if the system does not detect a triggering event. From what I read (hear) that TC is a function part of stability control, but does not react to wheel spin, but what the gyro's detect is needed to counter whatever stability condition exists. As I understand it, TC can be a standalone system that reacts to wheel spin and counters by slightly applying wheel brakes to the spinning wheel (obviously rear on 2WD). We have TC on an 03 Gran Marquis and it certainly does not have RSC, and thats the way it functions.

I have asked a question, several times on this board without hearing a good answer (good to me anyway ) that is, "why would a limited slip or locking rearend be a problem for TC ?". For that matter, why would it be a problem for the RSC? With the TC function, no wheel spin=no TC application of brake to that wheel. Traction enhancing devices are not spools, so one wheel can overspeed such as in turns and the TC dosnt apply for that. As for RSC, that condition when triggered, can still apply brakes to a specific wheel, even if its not spinning, which means that without power applied, the other wheel on the "axle" can overspeed.

Montecarlo31--glad to hear it works so well, I couldnt find a 4WD expy at the time I bought, so I got 2WD. I drove a 133" WB E250 van years ago, 8 lug and 16.5" wheels. Believe me, the expy "aint no problem". Much less a 157" WB truck. Cant even do a "U" turn on most 4 lanes without eating up the other curb.

I am not calling any of you out here, just my .02 Whatta ya think?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I'd like an answer about a Limited Slip and T/C myself

I plan to eventually run 4.30 gears on my Expy, and that will necessitate doing a Limited Slip. Otherwise I'll have enough gearing to break the tires loose

Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
There are several "unknowns" for me when comparing TC to traction enhancing (I believe thats the PC terminology ) devices in the rear end. I would prefer a LS/TL/pwrlock etc but the TC may well be much more cost effective and more than sufficient for most applications. Probably could replace a lot of pads for what one device costs and most certainly easier. Cross that bridge when I gets there!

I may get into trouble here, but the 4.17 low gear is (my opinion) too low for most normal street driving. I have 3.73's and have tried taking off in 2nd which works very well, no perceived undue strain or lugging. Problem is that means manual shifting on up. I did not say that was the case when towing, but then I dont know about that either-----yet. I would think that 4.30's would most certainly be good enough for a 2nd take off in town traffic. I havnt run the numbers for the total ratio to compare gearing, but I do know that the old C6, which everyone brags about (had several of them) had a ~2.46 and my E4OD has ~2.76, ( includes a C6 with the E4OD low gear kit) and got many a TT/boat underway.

That brings up another of my "fanticies" and that is a low gear lock-out for street which would seem easy with a tuner----or a late model PCM with "tow" mode. Will be interesting to see how that 4.30 behaves--------now hurry up

Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM
hookd
Senior User
I haven't had the system trigger yet and I love to torture the wife and kids by "pinning" them to the other side of the car on the curvy mountain roads we have around here but I've never had it turning tight enough to break anything loose so maybe that is it.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by tylus
I'd like an answer about a Limited Slip and T/C myself

I plan to eventually run 4.30 gears on my Expy, and that will necessitate doing a Limited Slip. Otherwise I'll have enough gearing to break the tires loose
You can order a Expedition with the factory Limited Slip so I'd assume that it could be done and there are no issues with the limited slip and traction control working in concert, if anyone had access to ford's PCM/TCM files you could see if there was a tune for open vs ls axled vehicles. As to 4.30 gears, unless your going to a much larger tire I don't see a big plus side to it. I don't see the truck picking up more then .5 second in the 1/4 mile as it's going to require extra shifts which will negate the extra gearing you have (You'll need to shift to 4th gear and that shift will take away some of the gain of the gears). You'd also go from 1900 RPM at 70 to just shy of 2,200 RPM. While I don't that being a issue in your location it would kill someone like me who hits 80 to 85 on a daily basis (somewhat legally I may add). The 6 speed is and I'm not 100% sure almost equal to adding either 4.30 or 4.56 gears to the old 4R75/100 that came in previous generation expeditions. Now that being said, are you planning on running larger tires or just looking to get into the 15s in the 1/4 mile? In my opinion ford missed one big issue that GM has addressed in their 6 speeds and that is the ability to select which gear you want on the top end. You can command 1 to 6 in a GM but ford only give you OD off.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:13 PM
racinghoss
Senior User
Why would you HAVE to have a LSD if you go to 4.30 gears? Are you saying that an open carrier does not exist for the axle?

Quick Reply: Acutrac system