General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

GPS = bad directions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GPS = bad directions

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Why GPS Units Give Campers "Bad" Directions
When your campers become frustrated with their GPS navigation system, it may help to remember that it was not invented for the purpose they're using it for. That's why it doesn't always match their particular needs and circumstances.
The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-navigation system developed and maintained by the U.S. government. Initially, it was designed to provide navigation information for military ships and planes.

The GPS is made up of three parts: satellites orbiting the Earth; control and monitoring stations on Earth; and the GPS receivers owned by users. GPS satellites broadcast signals from space that are picked up and identified by GPS receivers. A GPS receiver (GPSR) is a RECEIVER of radio signals and it does not transmit anything to anywhere.

Today, travelers use their own GPS receivers to find their way from one place to another. Users should understand that they are receiving signals from satellites, which are imposed on maps contained within the individual GPS receiver.

The maps are stored within the GPS receiver - they do not change and do not update automatically. In order to have the latest road and highway improvements available from their GPS vendor, owners must purchase update maps. These may be downloaded from the website of their GPS unit manufacturer, or purchased as a CD from retail stores.

It is important to understand that KOA franchisees, kampers, and staff have no control over the signals generated by the satellites, nor the maps installed in the GPS receivers. We cannot affect the inputs (signals) or outputs (directions) of any part of the GPS system. We do provide correct coordinates for each KOA Kampground that can be entered into individual GPS units.

In their GPS units, users have the choice of selecting the "shortest distance" to their destination, which may choose a route that owners of large RVs find difficult to navigate. Big rig owners often prefer to select the "highway" routes, which are built to accommodate large vehicles. In either case, they are always running the risk of getting a route with tree-lined streets, tight turns, bumpy roads, etc.

The only directions we DO control are the ones posted on KOA.com and printed in the KOA Directory. We'll continue to work with GPS companies, asking them to get better, but it may be a while before their technology catches up to expectations.

Until the GPS technology improves and allows us to specify routes to our campgrounds, we'll have to be very clear in communicating the technology's shortcomings to campers at the campgrounds. Not doing so will result in campers continuing to blame us for the bad directions given by their devices,---------and to this I can add that the company that supply's the GPS company's with the info for the unit's software has screwed up the database,this park has been here starting in 1988 and the mail has alway's come to 1475 south walnut with "NO" issue's for the past 21 year's except when you put that address into a GPS it send's you up town,you just might want to check the KOA or woodall's or trailor life directory's and look at the MAP,John @ starke koa,hope this help's.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Anyone who has used a GPS for even a little while will know it is not fool proof. They particularly have problems with using addresses for parks and campgrounds and the like. It helps to use a built-in POI if it has one instead of typing in an address.

Not sure of the point of your post - it looks like a cut and paste from a campground apologizing for Garmins shortcomings. I'm pretty sure they didn't move the campground just to confuse us, so an apology really wasn't necessary.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, not sure how many of us here are the intended audience for the first post...but it sure does open up the thread for a place to bitch about how inaccurate your GPS is!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having an issue with "alot" of posts lately. I am feeling very mentally inadequate after I read them.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes we have had problems with GPS (most have at one time or another) It told us we had to to 325 ft (across a stream) to get to destination. With no bridge around.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hoosierbaby64
I am having an issue with "alot" of posts lately. I am feeling very mentally inadequate after I read them.
Welcome to my life...

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My GPS regularly tells me that my favorite campsite is 1/2 a mile out in the middle of a 300ft deep lake........sometimes it takes 60 miles before it even "wakes up".....I leave it home.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I utilize Microsofts' Streets & Trips on a Toshiba laptop. I have a GPS antenna that plugs into a USB port. The system maps me to within a 5' radius. I do find that the map is not perfectly accurate in every situation. The people who input the information to the map company do make mistakes.

When I plan a long trip and I ask the program for directions, if I am connected to the internet, the program will want to update reported construction data.

As I need to locate addresses for vehicles that I need to tow I find GPS to be a wonderful time saver. Add the routing feature with spoken directions and I am able to drive to my destination without having to look away from the road. When I do need to look at my map the fact that I am using a laptop with a 15.5" screen I am able to see the information at a glance. When zoomed in it tightens down to show a 900 X 600 yard area. Compared to a Tom-Tom with a 4" screen the comprehension of situational awareness is priceless.

The additional features such as fuel computation (both amount & cost), items of interest and the ability to print out both maps and directions (with a printer of course) will keep me from considering any of the Garmin style systems for my needs.

There is one other item and that is the cost of updating my maps. My latest version of Streets & Trips was $40. I do have an Alpine system in two of my personal vehicles and the cost for the maps for them is an outrageous $300.00

Currently at 30º20'49.54"N 89º09'16.14"W elev 18'

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I had an offbrand GPS to start with, it was okay but it did take forever to lock onto a sat. signal, and diRections were sketchy at best. Got a Magellan and hated it, talk about some strange choices by the programmers. It would get you to where you were going, but would send to hell and back along the way. Not to mention it come with maps from 2006 (or even earlier, as I discovered in a couple of cases) and it's 90 bucks to upgrade. Dumped it and got a Sony, pretty happy with it so far...

Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Over the last five years or so (judging by the asphalt discoloration) they modified a bunch of intersection crossings on US 20. Some of these they built bridges, a few got bridges and exits, but most just turned into dead end streets.
I have learned to budget about 1/2hr extra for any directions I get from Google, and have learned many, many backroads around here.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
I use this really super cool thing. Its called a map

Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I use this really super cool thing. Its called a map
I think that you should patent those and call them: Moose Maps and outrages trips!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
I like it! Sound slike a new travel channel show. (and of course I am way smarter than Bridgett)

I think that more time is spent programming, trying to decipher and then stopping and asking directions at gas stations because of GPS is def not a correct science that a map is just so much easier.

If it aint broke dont fix it. I love my atlas and even google maps and directions is right on 98% of time.

Holland is going to horse camp in way southern Indiana and farm owner stated in her welcome letter that GPS does not work in her area and she gave exact directions.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Holland is going to horse camp in way southern Indiana and farm owner stated in her welcome letter that GPS does not work in her area and she gave exact directions.
Give me a set of coordinates and I can find that location using GPS! GPS is not maps. It is a way of locating your location within the three dimensional space our planet occupies. GPS works anywhere on the planet; ALMOST.
Sources of GPS signal errors
Factors that can degrade the GPS signal and thus affect accuracy include the following:
  • Ionosphere and troposphere delays — The satellite signal slows as it passes through the atmosphere. The GPS system uses a built-in model that calculates an average amount of delay to partially correct for this type of error.
  • Signal multipath — This occurs when the GPS signal is reflected off objects such as tall buildings or large rock surfaces before it reaches the receiver. This increases the travel time of the signal, thereby causing errors.
  • Receiver clock errors — A receiver's built-in clock is not as accurate as the atomic clocks onboard the GPS satellites. Therefore, it may have very slight timing errors.
  • Orbital errors — Also known as ephemeris errors, these are inaccuracies of the satellite's reported location.
  • Number of satellites visible — The more satellites a GPS receiver can "see," the better the accuracy. Buildings, terrain, electronic interference, or sometimes even dense foliage can block signal reception, causing position errors or possibly no position reading at all. GPS units typically will not work indoors, underwater or underground.
  • Satellite geometry/shading — This refers to the relative position of the satellites at any given time. Ideal satellite geometry exists when the satellites are located at wide angles relative to each other. Poor geometry results when the satellites are located in a line or in a tight grouping.
  • Intentional degradation of the satellite signal — Selective Availability (SA) is an intentional degradation of the signal once imposed by the U.S. Department of Defense. SA was intended to prevent military adversaries from using the highly accurate GPS signals. The government turned off SA in May 2000, which significantly improved the accuracy of civilian GPS receivers.
http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/
Good read at;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

I learned how to find a location using a map and map coordinates with a compass in the Boy Scouts and honed my skills in the U.S. Army.
I really do like GPS.
Check out Geocaching; http://www.geocaching.com/

Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
Okay now I just read all that and I sat back opened my rand mcnalley and stuck my finger on the town she is going. I see my route.

The only way weather can hamper my atlas is if I leave it out in rain and it falls apart.

It never goes down, it never loses signal, it never has to depend on technology to get me from A to B

I do not need coordinates to find Indianapolis

I can see things along the way

I am not into all this technology stuff. Too much for something so simple. Just like with all the crap on vehicles these days. Give me something you can open the hood and say ahhh there is the problem not open the hood and go WTF is all this and why is it here?

I like the KISS way of doing things

but you guys and your toys.....

Quick Reply: GPS = bad directions