1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light bar for top center break light thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Light bar for top center break light thoughts?

So I saw something I would be total interested in depending on what people here think. Saw it in cablelas and on ebay. SO it is a bracket that mounts to the rear top center break light and has holes for two light on to and two on bottom could also be used for antennas. it comes with longer screws and gaskets to seal it.

Are those screw holes beefy enough to hold something like that with antennas and light bolted to it?

Looks pretty slick and I think I could run my wires out from inside behind it and not have to drill any holes in truck.

THOUGHTS

Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
J_E_Summit
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If those two scres are all that secure it, I would stay away from it. If I remember right you live in Alaska? If so, your roads are probably as rough as some of ours, and I can see those screws being pushed way beyond their limit.

have you thought of a headache rack instead? They are more expensive, but have a million functions.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
jerzydiver
Senior User
It is quite secure. The HMTBL does not hold it in there are bolts located under the light you can not see with the light mounted. The unit is quite strong and I have 2 6x9 mounted foward 2 2x6 mounted backwards rear camera and several leds facing backwards. It is well made and you will not have any problems with it.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
jerzydiver
Senior User
Step 1: Remove 3rd Brake Light Step 2: Insert backing plate into hole
Step 3: The outside mounting plate aligns exactly to factory recessed hole
(Four corner bolts sandwiches cab snug between the 2 plates) Step 4: All wires are routed inside the cab with no drilling
Step 5: Re-mount 3rd brake light

Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
having the light so far back on a large roof such as on a CC or even extended cab would make alot of the light pattern from those unuseable..

maybe a spot beam aimed for range would be ideal but any kind of close in flood wouldnt work well at all..

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a very interesting design and low profile... I can see that it would be useful in some applications. The OP has a regular cab truck so it might be just what he needs. It looks like a quality product that requires no permanent modifications to the cab.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

I was looking at it to mount my cell and CB antennas and two small rear facing lights and maybe if room two small forward facing spot lights.

I can't bring my self to drill holes in my truck so that is why this is an option

Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
skoveng
Senior User
I had lights mounted up high on a roll-bar on a previous truck. If it was dusty or snowing, they were worthless; the glare made it impossible to see with them on. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

I'm thinking more like work lights when I am doing something at night around the truck so I can light things up better loading unloading. Having good lights are key up here when it doesn't get light till 10am and it is dark again at 3pm in the winter you spend a lot of time working in the dark. It's even worse the further north you go

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagion
I'm thinking more like work lights when I am doing something at night around the truck so I can light things up better loading unloading. Having good lights are key up here when it doesn't get light till 10am and it is dark again at 3pm in the winter you spend a lot of time working in the dark. It's even worse the further north you go
It sound's like it is just what you need... If you decide to purchase the mount, post up pics so we can see your setup!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
It's be great for strobes, say for a plow truck.