1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 Ranger 2.5L...throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
82fordguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ranger 2.5L...throttle sticking

Ok, I just had to replace my Camshaft Position Sensor a couple weeks ago and the truck has been fine. Now, it's like my throttle is sticking. The rev's will stay up like the cable is not releasing back, but it is released all the way back (I know this because I popped the hood one day and checked). It will do it when I am driving down the road and even when I'm coming to a stop. I'll be slowing down to a stop and have the clutch pedal in and/or the shifter in neutral sometimes, and the rev's will stay jacked up for a few seconds and then slowly come back down. Sometimes the only way for me to get the revs back down is to keep the truck in gear until it almost stalls out and then push the clutch in. And, no, the CEL is NOT on. Am I having a tranny issue? Maybe clutch issue? Any thoughts???

Old 07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Welcome to the site.

My '94 3.0L does this every now and then too. There has even been once or twice that the tach rose to 3500 rpm and kept climbing until I put it in gear to bring it back down.

I believe the problem is with the Idle Air Controller, but don't quote me. Somebody will come along here who will be able to say with more certainly.

Mine does it off and on, so I've never really tried to fix it.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
82fordguy
Junior User
I had a feeling you would reply to me, Traxxis. I've noticed you around the site alot, along with PawPaw and some others.

But, yea, it's the weirdest thing... Some mornings it will not do it, but once it starts doing it, it doesn't stop. It's really not very intermittent. I mainly notice it when I am slowing down at a traffic light or stop sign. I can hear it sometimes while I'm driving. I suppose if I put a tach in I would be able to track it a little better, but I really would rather fix it than track it. LOL

I do appreciate the input. Thank You.

I disconnected my battery earlier today to reset the computer (Even though the CEL was not on), maybe it's still learning the Camshaft Position Sensor? I doubt it, just a thought....

Thanks Again!!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
82fordguy
Junior User
Just took the truck for a ride after re-connecting the battery. No change. But then again, I'm not surprised.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Uh-oh, I'll have to go back into hiding. Well, you see, I got laid off from the PD two months ago... so I figure since I can't harass the motoring public, I'll harass the motoring public who have problems with their trucks.

You're having the exact problem I have. Oddly, my truck will go two months doing it all the time, then many months not doing it at all.

You should only feel it when you disengage the clutch. At least that's what happens with mine. If yours is doing it while you're driving down the road, then your truck should accelerate.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem not to long ago. Here's the link for further info. Like traxxis says, it might be time to replace your IAC.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/853917-sel.html

Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
82fordguy
Junior User
First off, Traxxis, when the truck does it while I'm driving down the road, it does not accelerate. Rather, it will maintain speed without dropping any. You've gotta remember that I've got a 98 with the 2.5L 4cyl, making about 100 horses. It can hardly move out of it's own way after about 50-60mph. LOL

And Mike, I appreciate that link. I read throught the whole thing this morning and it does seem like I'm going through the same thing. About how much was it to change out? Also, My CEL is not on.. that's what has me so confused.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
The valve was around $45.00 or so at my local auto part store. I've been told (not confirmed) that Ford want somewhere in the neighborhood of $125.00 for it. Some people say you can cleanit, but when I took mine off, it was pretty dirty. I also removed the throttle body and cleaned that out.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
82fordguy
Junior User
Wow, ok. That's pretty helpful, Mike. Thank You! I went to Advanced Auto for the Camshaft Position Sensor and they said for a Motorcraft part it would be $117 and change. I looked online and found it at a Ford dealership out of town for like $56. I looked up the "Idle Air Control" from the same place and the only item I am finding is "Idle speed control, ranger" retailing for $95, but selling for $56. Would this be the same part? There is no photo to go off of.

On another note, to add to what I posted back to Traxxis.... The truck did it again all morning. It was doing it as I was leaving a gas station in First gear, I went to shift to second, pressed in the clutch pedal and the revs stayed up, so I left the truck in First gear with the revs up, and went probably a quarter mile in 1st at about 17mph until I had to stop. The revs stayed up until I let the truck almost stall itself out. Still thinking Idle Air Control?

Thanks for all the help! Websites like this are so helpful!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Yup, still IAC I would say.

Honestly man, if you don't want to fix it, I would just drive it like normal. Mine has been like this for about 2 years. The only time I would try to bring the RPMs down was when I would pull up to a light. Keep in mind, you can always up shift early and get the same effect.

Stan

Old 07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
82fordguy
Junior User
Well, first off, I'd like to thank both of you (Traxxis and Mike) for your input. I ordered the part (Idle Speed Control), a motorcraft part for $56, and I should have it by Saturday. As soon as I get it swapped out I will post my results. Hopefully there will be nothing but good news to report. Once again, Thanks guys!!

And if anyone else has any input, I'm open to suggestions.....

Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Can't wait to see what your results are. When you pull the old one off, I think you'll be surprised to see how much junk is in it.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I like the acting out IAC idea.

Cleaning mine didn't last.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
When I had mine off, I thought about cleaning it. However, after looking at it I realized I couldn't get it completely clean. For $45.00 I know it wont have to come off anytime soon.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 PM
82fordguy
Junior User
Ok, so I got the new IAC and changed it out. The old one was in fact pretty dirty. However, the problem is not solved. The rev's still go up, but they come back down to an idle quicker and they do not go as high. I had a 97 Ranger years back and do not remember it doing this. I've also got an F150 as well, manual tranny, and it does not do it. In my experience, when the clutch pedal is pushed in, the rev's shoot straight back down. I've never seen it where they stay up and climb up. It's got me baffled. Any more suggestions??

Quick Reply: 98 Ranger 2.5L...throttle sticking