Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Looking for info/history of Larger Fords 500 and up beginning to 1979

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
grm61
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Eric, BTW if you bought one piece rims (No Lockring) They are more than likely 19.5 or 22.5" wheels both of which take a tubeless tire. Your 20" tires are tube type and will not fit on a 19.5 or 22.5 wheel ......Look on the wheel it should be stamped what they are.

Greg

Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Greg and thanks for the tip. I went out and measured my current split-rims and then measured the new one piece ones and the measurements are identical, not close but Exactly the same. Also the tires that are on the new one piece rims are tube type.
The truck that I got them from was also a 600 series and it seemed at some point the owner had opted to replace his splits with the ones I ended up removing from that truck. Sadly the truck I took the one-pieces from was junked beyond saving. I really hate to see good old trucks like ours junked. I know a lot of people think the newer the better, but not me. The old trucks are simpler, cheaper and easier to fix. Not to mention, in 40+ years you won't see the current production trucks still doing their job.
I used my truck yesterday for it's first real job. I pulled about 5000 lbs of fallen oak tree. It was in chunks. The truck barely broke a sweat.
I would like to ask you since are trucks are alike, how do you go about checking/changing the transmission fluid and rear axle oil? My truck has the NP435 4-speed transmission with an eaton 13802 2-speed rear axle. The GVW is 17,000.
I have heavy duty 85w-90 lucas gear oil, can I use that? The plate on the rear axle calls for SAE 10 oil. If you could recommend how to do this and what to use it would be helpful, since I haven't checked or changed the tranmission/rear axle fluids myself and I intend to perform all the maintenance and repairs myself. Why pay someone for what you can do yourself right?
Thanks again,
Erich

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
grm61
Senior User
Hi Eric, the 10W goes in the 2speed motor on the front of the diff. You will see a plug on the front of the 2speed motor, motor about a half inch up from the bottom, just squirt a little in there till it runs out.. that is the level, it just takes a tiny bit (I used ATF in mine as I didn't have any 10 handy).

Rear diff has a drain plug on the bottom and a fill hole on the rear cover, fill it till its runs out the hole...80/90 is fine.

Trans has a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug on the side, fill till it runs out the hole, 80/90 is fine.

I sure would like to see a pic of these 20" one piece wheels....Be very carefull if your not sure of what you are looking at......

You know the Widowmakers come apart in the middle??And could be mistaken for a one piece if you weren't familair what you are looking at....

The only one piece 20"wheels I have ever seen were homemade and on a forklift.

The 20" truck tires were designed to go on a multi piece wheel.

Please post a Pic if you can.

Greg

Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
grm61
Senior User
For Reference......WIDOW MAKER on the Front......BAD

For Reference........WIDOW MAKER on the Rear.....BAD.... These Wheels were questionable when new...46 YEARS LATER, A REAL BAD IDEA..That outer 3" of the wheel before it steps up, is where it comes apart or SPLITS.

For Reference.... Regular 2 piece Split Rim Front side....These are fine provided They have the Correct Lockring on them and aren't cracked AND MOUNTED BY A PRO. So far I have collected 4 of these and will be putting them on my truck, I need 2 more.

For Reference.......2 piece Split Rim Back side....

Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 PM
rbcyouthdude
Freshman User
Pretty cool looking truck here in east Texas for sale ( at least driving by it looks good) I will try to get a price and photo this week. It's at the intersection of Hwy 14 and interstate 20 in East Texas. It's a flat bed with gen poles. Looks recently painted. Like I said from 100 yards it looks good.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Frdbuy8589
Senior User
At our yearly fire dept. rummage sale I came across a book "Ford Trucks since 1905" by James K. Wagner. This book covers fords light, medium and heavy duty trucks from 1905 to 1978. It also covers they're ford tractors. Great book all sorts of photos, various truck options and packages. Each year is its own chapter. The downside is the copywright date is also 1978 so your most likely not going to run into this book at Borders or Amazon.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Wow! Those are great pics of the Brochures. I was leaving the Junkyard the other day and saw an H-series parked out back of some shop in an industrial area. Probably not running. Didn't see anyone around to ask. I have my hands full with my F600. If I get another truck my wife will definately leave me. I could find out about the H, if anyone is interested.
Is there a place on the forum to post possible leads of Trucks for sale?
Greg,
I really am no expert on rims. Thanks for the pictures and the reference. I can email you some pics of my split rims and the "one piece" rims I got from a junk yard. I hope they're not "Widow makers". What's a widowmaker? It doesn't sound good.
I could email you pics of my rear rims too. I know the man I bought the truck from babied the truck, but also used it for daily fuel deliveries for forty years. What I mean is, he seemed very safety minded, so I guess my rims are fine. The tires are all in great shape. I guess I am just a little paranoid.
Let me know if you want me to email you the pictures. I really would like to know what I have.
I guess I'll put some ATF in the rear axle motor. I don't know where to get SAE 10.
I will check the transmission levels and put some of the 80/90 I have in.
Thanks again,
ERich

Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
masterqi
Senior User
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal
Wow, was that ad designed for twelve-year-old boys or what? What a great period piece.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM
grm61
Senior User
Eric I sent you a PM with my Email address
Send me some pics and I can tell you what you have.

I am going to change the wheels on the steer axle of my truck this weekend, I will post some pics of the Widowmakers apart and explain the danger.

FYI I'm an OLD Tire Guy

Greg

Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Great,
I'll send you the pictures in a bit.
Thanks very much,
Erich

Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 AM
grm61
Senior User
Originally Posted by Erich.Vongeist
Greg,
I really am no expert on rims. Thanks for the pictures and the reference. I can email you some pics of my split rims and the "one piece" rims I got from a junk yard. I hope they're not "Widow makers". What's a widowmaker? It doesn't sound good.
I could email you pics of my rear rims too. I know the man I bought the truck from babied the truck, but also used it for daily fuel deliveries for forty years. What I mean is, he seemed very safety minded, so I guess my rims are fine. The tires are all in great shape. I guess I am just a little paranoid.
Let me know if you want me to email you the pictures. I really would like to know what I have.
I guess I'll put some ATF in the rear axle motor. I don't know where to get SAE 10.
I will check the transmission levels and put some of the 80/90 I have in.
Thanks again,
ERich
Erich I got your pics , you have regular 2 piece welded split rims on your truck, the P/O already got rid of the widowmakers for you .
There is really nothing wrong with the style of wheel you have on there right now, provided it is put together by someone that knows what they are doing, so that they don't get hurt / killed.
If they are mounted correctly they are fine.

You could go tubeless and one piece, and convert to a 9 or 10-22.5, but that would involve buying all new tires and wheels. $$$$$$
I'll post a pic of one of my widow makers apart after I change my fronts later today.
Greg

Old 07-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Erich.Vongeist
Senior User
Hi Greg and thanks for the help.
I'll probably just stick with what I have now if you think they're ok.
Are the rear rims on my truck Ok to use?
I really have to be conservative with what I spend money on related to my truck now. My wife is really putting her foot down. I don't want her to decide to put her foot up.......well you get the picture.
Thanks again,
Erich

Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 AM
grm61
Senior User
Originally Posted by Erich.Vongeist
Hi Greg and thanks for the help.
I'll probably just stick with what I have now if you think they're ok.
Are the rear rims on my truck Ok to use?
I really have to be conservative with what I spend money on related to my truck now. My wife is really putting her foot down. I don't want her to decide to put her foot up.......well you get the picture.
Thanks again,
Erich
Your outer rears are just like your fronts, but reversed,..that style of wheel is fine as long as they are in decent shape...Can't see the inners wheels as long as they are like the outers you are good.

I changed my front wheels today here is a couple pics of a widowmaker apart

Here is the ring that splits the wheel in half if you notice where the orange chalk is, it is concave thats what allows the wheel to be taken apart and put back together that little tiny lip is all that keeps that wheel from comming apart and cutting you in half and then going through a wall or two. On these old wheels its really critical that when they go back together every thing is strait and even, if things are off a little bit BOOM

Pic of regular 2 piece split rim I put on today.

Greg

Quick Reply: Looking for info/history of Larger Fords 500 and up beginning to 1979