1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

help me do the UVCH ohm test correctly please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM
agg_bagg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me do the UVCH ohm test correctly please.

ok guys my truck hasn't been running very well lately. it acts like it is out of gas and stuff. well i changed the oil and fuel filter and also changed the injector oil.

it runs better but it still kinda lopes a little bit. i read in here about the UVCH coming loose so i pulled the plugs off and did the ohm test but i can't get it to work very well all of my test come up saying 0.000 the glow plug and the injector test come up the same. i have my volt meter set to the setting that looks like and upside down U. that is the right setting right.

this is the volt meter that i have

Northern Industrial Portable AC/DC Digital Clamp-on Multimeter | Clamp Meters | Northern Tool + Equipment

i am not the best with electrical stuff so any help to make sure i am doing this right would be awesome and is it normal to have all 0.00 on all your readings.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh, I just did a search for this because I have the exact same question!
I know its an old thread, but I figured I would bring it up again. I cant believe nobody responded.

I am pretty inept when it comes to electrical stuff and not even sure that I know how to use my ohm meter. Can anybody point me in the right direction here?

I think I need to do the .50 cent mod, but I want to test it first.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
In the bottom video on the link down below, ken is checking Glow plug resistance. Use the center terminal c, and measure resistance between c and Each i to check injectors. Measure resistance of the glow plugs between g and battery ground. Values are down at the bottom.

Terminal positions=G G I I C I I G G
G=Glow Plug
I=Injector +
C=Injector -

Ohm Glow plugs between "G" and Battery Negative post. Should be between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms

Ohm Injectors Between "C" and "I" should be < 5 ohms
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
In the bottom video, ken is checking Glow plug resistance. Use the center terminal c, and measure resistance between c and Each i to check injectors. Measure resistance of the glow plugs between g and battery ground. Values are down at the bottom.

Terminal positions=G G I I C I I G G
G=Glow Plug
I=Injector +
C=Injector -

Ohm Glow plugs between "G" and Battery Negative post. Should be between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms

Ohm Injectors Between "C" and "I" should be < 5 ohms
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system
Ken does great write ups. Thanks for posting the link since I had missed that on his website when I was browsing it last...

btw, the center injector (C) pin is 12v positive...the test still works exactly like you describe though.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
When I was doing all that to the 2001, I went through and saved the info to one piece of paper in microsoft word. Then I took it out to the truck b/c my memory is not very good. That piece of paper is ruined now but the info is still saved on the computer. I cut and pasted the info on the inj terminals into that so I am not sure where on here it came from> Thanks for correcting the info on the polarity.

I wish i had that harness Ken has in that video when I was doing it. Having the shakes and those little pins makes it hard.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
When I was doing all that to the 2001, I went through and saved the info to one piece of paper in microsoft word. Then I took it out to the truck b/c my memory is not very good. That piece of paper is ruined now but the info is still saved on the computer. I cut and pasted the info on the inj terminals into that so I am not sure where on here it came from> Thanks for correcting the info on the polarity.

I wish i had that harness Ken has in that video when I was doing it. Having the shakes and those little pins makes it hard.
Yeah, that harness clip is a great idea.

I though about making a injector break out box but then I discovered that the center pin is positive and I got stuck because I didn't know what to do with the power pulse intended for whichever injector was turned off. Just switching off the negative side would mean the IDM is still sending a 12v positive pulse to that pin and could possibly harm the IDM. Not sure exactly, but it sounds plausible.

In case you don't have this already....here is a neat wiring diagram of the engine compartment components.

Attached Images