Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   help me do the UVCH ohm test correctly please. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/861711-help-me-do-the-uvch-ohm-test-correctly-please.html)

agg_bagg 06-22-2009 03:41 PM

help me do the UVCH ohm test correctly please.

ok guys my truck hasn't been running very well lately. it acts like it is out of gas and stuff. well i changed the oil and fuel filter and also changed the injector oil.

it runs better but it still kinda lopes a little bit. i read in here about the UVCH coming loose so i pulled the plugs off and did the ohm test but i can't get it to work very well all of my test come up saying 0.000 the glow plug and the injector test come up the same. i have my volt meter set to the setting that looks like and upside down U. that is the right setting right.

this is the volt meter that i have

Northern Industrial Portable AC/DC Digital Clamp-on Multimeter | Clamp Meters | Northern Tool + Equipment

i am not the best with electrical stuff so any help to make sure i am doing this right would be awesome and is it normal to have all 0.00 on all your readings.

Studawg 01-16-2012 11:31 AM

Huh, I just did a search for this because I have the exact same question!
I know its an old thread, but I figured I would bring it up again. I cant believe nobody responded.

I am pretty inept when it comes to electrical stuff and not even sure that I know how to use my ohm meter. Can anybody point me in the right direction here?

I think I need to do the .50 cent mod, but I want to test it first.

carltonwebb 01-16-2012 11:51 AM

In the bottom video on the link down below, ken is checking Glow plug resistance. Use the center terminal c, and measure resistance between c and Each i to check injectors. Measure resistance of the glow plugs between g and battery ground. Values are down at the bottom.

Terminal positions=G G I I C I I G G
G=Glow Plug
I=Injector +
C=Injector -

Ohm Glow plugs between "G" and Battery Negative post. Should be between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms

Ohm Injectors Between "C" and "I" should be < 5 ohms
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system

Shake-N-Bake 01-16-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by carltonwebb (Post 11292649)
In the bottom video, ken is checking Glow plug resistance. Use the center terminal c, and measure resistance between c and Each i to check injectors. Measure resistance of the glow plugs between g and battery ground. Values are down at the bottom.

Terminal positions=G G I I C I I G G
G=Glow Plug
I=Injector +
C=Injector -

Ohm Glow plugs between "G" and Battery Negative post. Should be between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms

Ohm Injectors Between "C" and "I" should be < 5 ohms
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system

Ken does great write ups. Thanks for posting the link since I had missed that on his website when I was browsing it last...:-X22

btw, the center injector (C) pin is 12v positive...the test still works exactly like you describe though.
:-drink

carltonwebb 01-16-2012 01:02 PM

When I was doing all that to the 2001, I went through and saved the info to one piece of paper in microsoft word. Then I took it out to the truck b/c my memory is not very good. That piece of paper is ruined now but the info is still saved on the computer. I cut and pasted the info on the inj terminals into that so I am not sure where on here it came from> Thanks for correcting the info on the polarity.

I wish i had that harness Ken has in that video when I was doing it. Having the shakes and those little pins makes it hard.

Shake-N-Bake 01-16-2012 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by carltonwebb (Post 11293012)
When I was doing all that to the 2001, I went through and saved the info to one piece of paper in microsoft word. Then I took it out to the truck b/c my memory is not very good. That piece of paper is ruined now but the info is still saved on the computer. I cut and pasted the info on the inj terminals into that so I am not sure where on here it came from> Thanks for correcting the info on the polarity.

I wish i had that harness Ken has in that video when I was doing it. Having the shakes and those little pins makes it hard.

Yeah, that harness clip is a great idea.

I though about making a injector break out box but then I discovered that the center pin is positive and I got stuck because I didn't know what to do with the power pulse intended for whichever injector was turned off. Just switching off the negative side would mean the IDM is still sending a 12v positive pulse to that pin and could possibly harm the IDM. Not sure exactly, but it sounds plausible. :confused:

In case you don't have this already....here is a neat wiring diagram of the engine compartment components. :-drink