1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone Ever Change an Oil Pan Gasket Without Lifting the Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
There's a few (more simple) things that could be leaking up front as well. Have you considered some fluorescent dye for the oil to help narrow it down? I'd hate to pull a motor for a bad gasket in the HPOP reservoir or something.
That stuff is the bomb. Found many a leaks on all type of vehicles over the years. You'll be surprised on where the original location is.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 PM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats one thing i always disliked about these engines ar the oil pans leaking. when this engine is in a CE int bus its like horrible to change. International sells there onw RTV brand. Its worked very well and have not had any come back after this new formula was installed

Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Stickz
Junior User
I'll make sure to get the RTV direct from International then, thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
Your welcome. See if they would be able to give you the service procedure on it too. There are certain points that you are suppsoed to use more. If they wont give you it message me and i can give you the info you need since i work for international

Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke8994
International sells there onw RTV brand. Its worked very well and have not had any come back after this new formula was installed
I don't believe you. Why don't you take my pan out and prove it.

Sorry, my pan is showing signs of rust and it would be nice to get a new pan that I have coated but I don't want to take it out at this time and the tech who works on the side for me can't do something like that in an evening and not get into trouble. Small jobs like injectors and turbos he can do on shop nights because the boss has gone home. Leaving an engine out to dry the RTV takes too long and is too obvious. The international shop will not do it since I have an SUV and not a truck.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim

Sorry, my pan is showing signs of rust and it would be nice to get a new pan that I have coated but I don't want to take it out at this time and the tech who works on the side for me can't do something like that in an evening and not get into trouble. Small jobs like injectors and turbos he can do on shop nights because the boss has gone home. Leaving an engine out to dry the RTV takes too long and is too obvious. The international shop will not do it since I have an SUV and not a truck.
Just tell him to put a big sticker on it that says 6.0. No one will think twice about seeing one of those getting pulled.

If you're just starting to show rust, why not use Por 15 or something and try to save it?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Stickz
Junior User
Your welcome. See if they would be able to give you the service procedure on it too. There are certain points that you are suppsoed to use more. If they wont give you it message me and i can give you the info you need since i work for international
Thanks again for the info and if they won't give it me, I'll get in touch with you

Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by F350-6
Just tell him to put a big sticker on it that says 6.0. No one will think twice about seeing one of those getting pulled.

If you're just starting to show rust, why not use Por 15 or something and try to save it?

I will have to do that this summer again. I did it last year but it has rusted at different spots. Also I saw someone on either this site or another using the sealant that they use for bedliners to rust proof it and if he would prove it, by taking out my pan, I'd be real happy to stick that lined pan in.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
powerstroke8994
Senior User

I dont see exactly what your getting at here? I have done over 25 oil pans on 444e and they are the same engine. None have leaked again the oldest one being a 1997. As far as international not being able to work on your SUV im sorry that your local dealer will not work on it but our dealer will do fords just not warrenty its against policy between ford and international. We get quite a few fords that come in and anyone in my area is more than welcome to come in with there issues. Good business for the company. If what your talking about is rusting of the pan then thats something specific to ford not international. The pans are made of a generic steel and its not just the 7.3s its 351s,460s,300s, etc that all rust out. When i do a pan at work i normally put a new on on since its off anyways.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I dont see exactly what your getting at here? I have done over 25 oil pans on 444e and they are the same engine. None have leaked again the oldest one being a 1997. As far as international not being able to work on your SUV im sorry that your local dealer will not work on it but our dealer will do fords just not warrenty its against policy between ford and international. We get quite a few fords that come in and anyone in my area is more than welcome to come in with there issues. Good business for the company. If what your talking about is rusting of the pan then thats something specific to ford not international. The pans are made of a generic steel and its not just the 7.3s its 351s,460s,300s, etc that all rust out. When i do a pan at work i normally put a new on on since its off anyways.
Just trying to talk you into changing my pan for free by challenging you to prove it. Kinda of a twist on the "If you love me, you would....." line guys used to give the girls.

It's weird but they would work on it if I brought in an F250 but because it is an Excursion, they won't.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get the RTV from international, their stuff has all kinds of grit and junk in it that cant be good for a seal.. go straight to ford and get the 7.3 diesel engine approved gray sealant.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie
Don't get the RTV from international, their stuff has all kinds of grit and junk in it that cant be good for a seal.. go straight to ford and get the 7.3 diesel engine approved gray sealant.
I thought the Ford gray sealant is the international one? Seems like Ford rebadges the international stuff.,

Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
I thought the Ford gray sealant is the international one? Seems like Ford rebadges the international stuff.,
Ok i got what ya mean now. haha. Yes you are correct beng that ford does just rebadge th rtv. Most of the stuff that ford sells is just repacked international stuff. Except the few things that makes the powerstroke different such as the fuel lines going to head from housing. Thats odd that they wont work on it though. If you could bring it to us we could fix it up for you.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Stickz
Junior User
I finally found something to stop my leak... at least for now...

My leak was at the front of the pan gasket, under the harmonic balancer area. I really didn't want to pull the engine, so I've tried many different thing to stop the leak in the last few weeks.

Nothing seamed to work, until my buddy recommended "the right stuff". I put some on (smeared it on with my finger) Tuesday night and it hasn't leaked since (I've put about 300 miles on it since). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that will solve the problem.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stickz
I finally found something to stop my leak... at least for now...

Nothing seamed to work, until my buddy recommended "the right stuff".
Just exactly what is "the right stuff"? With a name like that it is useless to Google it.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Change an Oil Pan Gasket Without Lifting the Engine?