S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Leaky bathroom pipe - need a plumber!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Leaky bathroom pipe - need a plumber!

Do you guys have a recommendation for a reliable, honest plumber near Diamond Bar?

I just discovered a leak in my upstairs bathroom. I think it's the line going to the toilet, probably a copper elbow. When I shut off the toilet valve water continued to seep from behind the wall. My home was built in 1986 so it's plumbed in copper.

I may get gutsy and tear open the wall behind the toilet water valve and have a look-see. Plumbing repair is not the kind of work I am willing/prepared to undertake.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't have a plumber recommendation. But if you decide to tackle it I have the torch and solder to repair it.

I would suggest you open the wall to see what you are dealing with. Even if you hire a plumber, doing some of it yourself should save some money. Pull the commode, it's a lot easier to work and they are not hard to pull and reset. Open the drywall, and find where it's leaking if you can.

Make sure it's not just the bonnet on the valve, too.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:11 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Hey Russ, i'm no plumber, but it's not that hard..Bill threw out some great advice and here's my $.02..

Patching the wall takes more skill than sweating the copper..Go to creepo depot and get the little torch, solder,flux, emery cloth kit they sell..Get a new valve for the toilet while you're at it..Older valves seem to always leak after you touch them..Open the wall up and find where it's leaking from..Shut off the house water and let it drain by taking the suppy line off of the toilet valve...Dry pipes are much easier to work with..I also like to shut of my water heaters while I have the water off..Heat up the leaking fitting until you can pull it off..I would use new copper from the leak to the valve..For me it's quicker and more reliable..Lightly sand each end of your joints, smear on some flux, and heat it up until it sucks in the solder..You want to apply heat to the outside/female fittings..Don't use the torch flame to melt the solder..Heat the copper and it will melt/suck it into the joint..Don't light the wall on fire..If you're not sure, buy a short piece of copper and a few couplings or elbows and practice before you go for the fix..

Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I would be happy to help you solder, if you get it opened up and ready. William is right, it's never worth reusing any copper fitting. Once you've seen the process, soldering is very easy. The only time it's really difficult is when you can't stop the water, like below grade.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Thanks for the advice and offer of assistance! I've sweated copper fittings back in the day for swimming pool plumbing. Never liked it much and doing that inside the home is intimidating. Definitely don't want to burn the home down trying to fix a leak!

She who must be obeyed stated we will have a plumber fix this as she does not want to hear my inappropriate verbiage if/when the job does not go as planned, and they rarely do it seems!

The plumber is on the way so I'm off to remove the porcelain throne and linoleum flooring. The wood is wet underneath there and will need some time to dry out.

Not the Sunday I had planned!

Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Sounds like you have SWMBO trained well, or maybe it's just that she has seen this before.

Good luck with it. You can watch the Lakers while the smell good plumber does the cursing. Oh wait, is Bubba coming?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:11 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
At least if it leaks again, it's not your fault..

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J&J (562)244-8519 Tell him Bob gave you his #.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
Sounds like you have SWMBO trained well, or maybe it's just that she has seen this before.

Good luck with it. You can watch the Lakers while the smell good plumber does the cursing. Oh wait, is Bubba coming?
I think it is the other way around, she has HIM trained well.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did it work out, Russ?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Kep4
Jäger
The valve for the toilet was leaking slowly and the copper elbow in the wall was leaking as well. Neither leak was bad but just enough to soak the outside wall and part of the bathroom floor. Luckily it appears that it just started leaking within the last few days so there's no mold or mildew. I tore up the linoleum so the floor would dry out quickly. It's all repaired and dried out now. The plumber replaced the elbow and I replaced the toilet valve and line.

Just got to repair the hole in the wall, replace the linoleum, and my Charming Bride will be pleased!

Maybe I'll get a special reward for my efforts.....

Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kep4

Maybe I'll get a special reward for my efforts.....
Hope springs eternal!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM
orng1
Postmaster
I was kind of curious how it went, good to hear it's repaired now. Did you try J&J? He's a neighbor of mine and he usually has a van in that area.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Kep4
Jäger
I called TV Plumbing and a guy named Paul, the Owner, answered the phone! He called his on-call plumber and the guy was at my home within 1 1/2 hours. The other place I called had an answering service and they still have not returned my call.

TV responded so quickly that I didn't need to call your friend. I certainly appreciate the reference and have his name/number recorded for any future plumbing issues that I don't care to tackle on my own!

Thanks again to everybody for offering advice and assistance.

If you ever have any swimming pool or jacuzzi related problems, let me know!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Thanks, I do have those problems. There's not one in my home.

Can you fix that for me?

Quick Reply: Leaky bathroom pipe - need a plumber!