1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 speed wipers or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 speed wipers or not

My 2 speed wipers are only working at one speed, very fast. They also do not park back at the bottom they kind of coast to a stop depending on when you turn them off. Where do I start trouble shooting this. I am hoping to do the weather stripping, fix the chip in the windshield and work out this wiper thing so I can drive to work on Thurs. You guys have been a god sent so far on my other problems and I just love working on this truck. Thanks again.
Cbass

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok for a littlel of the particulars, your profile says you have a 58 F-100 so we all know you have electric wipers and they are 12 volt....Or they should be.

Question is do you have the stock wipers and switch? And one question further, if not, is the switch the one made for the motor you do have. If it's the stock or a matched set wiper/switch combo, chances are very good it's just a wiring disjoint.

Let me know...in the mean time ....Bump to top!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM
cbass139
Senior User
Those are all very good questions but I have no clue. Tell me what to look for to know if they are original. I would say it is original but really dont know, let me know what to look for and also what to do for a wiring dijoint.
thanks for any input.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Well the thing you want to look for are the part numbers. Then we can figure out what you have and what you might need. On the wiring, It's a matter of finding the circuit drawing for the motor and switch that you have and making sure they are connected correctly.

There should be at least three wires: low speed; high speed, and park. There should be a fourth terminal on the switch to allow for power to come in. So we just need to make sure your power in isn't hooked to the low speed terminal of the switch, etc.

So, I guess we start with the part numbers.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Of course the plate has been rubbed to the point that I think I can make out the work American but not even possitive of that. It does look exactly like the one in the owners manual so I will try going through the wiring to make sure it isnt just connected wrong. Will let you know what I find. Thanks
Cbass

Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
cbass139
Senior User
One of the wires was disconnected, once reconnected it worked like a charm. I know that these are older vehicles so when they say that the wipers will park does that just mean that they stop when you turn them off or are they supposed to work like newer model vehicles and return to the bottom possition?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Ta Da! Wiring!

Yep the wipers should park in the down position just like on a modern vehicle. I fyo ucatch them in mid swing when youturn them off, they should run on their own until they stop in the "parked" position.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
cbass139
Senior User
definatly not doing that, they just kind of stop where ever I turn them off. Where do I start with this fix, I think when I was looking at the wiring in the manual I say a diagram that showed a Parking something or other. Should I pull the wiper motor and see if the inside looks like the diagram shows it? or is there a easier fix?