1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

way off topic: full tube chassis cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
way off topic: full tube chassis cars

ok so i found a couple of old mustang bodies sitting in this field with some other stuff and talked to the old guy that had and he said i could have them long as i took all the stuff but anyway back to the stang bodies. They turned out to be old stock car bodies so doors welded shut, fenders welded on and the floor is cut out and they are just the bare shell. so i was thinking about maybe just building a full tube chassis sort of deal and making a drag car or whatever out of them but this is an area is one i have no experience so i was wondering what you guys thought and if you guys could show me some pictures of some or just give me some input.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've looked into it, I had planned on building my own car from the ground up before I remembered I needed a truck. Tubing isn't hard, but you need a tube bender to do it right, and an easy way to cut the ends for the joint, but besides that it's just cutting and welding basicly.

Couple huh? What years? I'll help you out with them if you let me have one! ^_^

Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have made a number of tube chassis and tube braced OEM chasss. I'd suggest using square or rectangular tubing for the main frame rails, round tubing (DOM mild steel, NOT chrome molly) for crossmembers and bracing. Take a look at the chassis that Art Morrison makes for design ideas.
A friend of mine here built a car for a competition sponsored by Grassroots Motorsports magazine called the $200x.00 competition. You build a car that costs no more than $200x.00 total (where x is the digit of each year's version, this year it's $2009.00) that compete for points against each other in autocross, dragstrip, concours, and originality/engineering. Shawn transplanted a Mustang body, engine and tranny onto a Toyota Supra chassis and suspension to produce a hybrid he called a "Suprang". It was suprisingly easy transplant, the wheelbase and tread widths were almost exactly the same and the full independent F & R suspension handled much better than the original Mustang. He did not win the challenge, he blew the tranny at the drag strip segment, but I saw it run at several local autocrosses.
Be careful if you decide to build a tube chassis to get a TUBING bender, not a PIPE bender like the inexpensive ones at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and on Youpay. Pipe is dimensioned completely different than tubing and a pipe bender will not bend tubing properly. You can get tubing notchers than fit on a drill press and use hole saws to cut the fishmouths.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Supra? Yeah I bet that was an insane ride!

I second Art Morrison, if I wasn't so frugal I'd buy one of their frames for my '67. Nothing like handling like a brand new corvette!

If you wanted to make the car street able, it really wouldn't be all that difficult, I guess it sort of depends on what all was cut out of the car. They make reproduction everything for the '66-72 Mustangs, full floors, full doors, full panels, everything. They even make the whole freaking body! (course they are like $8000). I've done floors, takes a day. Quarter panels, rocker panels, they're all pretty easy on these. Lots of parts available, and if you can't find it original everyone makes a reproduction, even the dash. You seriously could build a new "stock" vintage mustang out of a catalogue.

I've been trying to find a '67-70 Fastback for a while, never found one in this town that wasn't in mint condition though, and where's the fun in that?

Like I said, wouldn't take much to make it street able, and it would take less to make it insane as well. What a sleeper you could have

lol sorry, vintage mustangs get me going, too bad it's 12:33AM and not PM! Send me a message, I'd love to give you a hand with them, and I have a friend with a towing setup too. (it still blows my mind to have someone in this town be on the net. Closest I've ever found was Spokane WA!)

Old 05-10-2009, 02:28 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
thanks for the info ill do some looking around

Old 05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
59flatbedford

I own a 69 Mach 1 all round tube chassis, 4/ Link, strut front end, fiberglass front,and doors, still needs finished ,its still a brand new car ! Kinda got side tracked though the
years ! I have some pics in my gallery,take a look see.

Take a look at jerry bickels site also,

Link to a great web site check out there ( Gallery ) it will keep you busy for ( Hours ) LoL.

Vanishing Point Race Cars, Inc.

Wally Womack

Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
hey that is exactly along the lines of what i was thinking. How is the Body held on the frame?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
59flatbedford

The body on my car and most built like it ,are held on with ( Body Tabs and Bolt & nuts ).

The whole ( Chassis ) will roll right out from under the Body !

Wally Womack