1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some inspection BS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM
enduro4231
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Some inspection BS...

So I went to get my truck inspected today since it was due at the end of April, and I went through everything this morning to ensure that I would pass, replaced a few bulbs etc. I go down to the station and all seems well until he pulls my truck out with a big red R on the sticker that basically screams 'pull me over and impound my vehicle'. For those of you not in Mass., a red R is a safety failure and the vehicle is not 'supposed' to be driven until repaired. The reason cited for the inspection failure is a failed exhaust check. Not emissions, but a visual check. I know I have no rust/holes on my system so I ask the inspector and he says "The tailpipe must exit in the factory location." At this point I'm a little aggravated, because my tailpipe exits in front of my passenger side rear wheel, and Ford manufactured F150's from the factory with this exact same tailpipe configuration. So I call the Mass. Motorist Hotline to find out what the actual regulation states, and it is this:

"All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment."

I feel like this leaves a lot open to interpretation. Maybe he considered a trunk and a pickup bed the same thing?? I certainly don't, because a trunk is enclosed and connected directly to the passenger/driver compartment and can allow fumes to leak into the passenger/driver compartment; whereas a bed is open to the surrounding air and completely sealed from the passenger/driver compartment.

What should I do? Try a different station? File a complaint? Go back there with this information in hand and try to persuade him otherwise? I can get 1 free re-test at the station where it originally failed, so I would like to do that but I feel like he will just fail it for the same thing.

On a lighter note, I originally went to a Jiffy Lube to get it done, and they turned me away because they didn't have a jack capable of lifting my truck!

Only in a Super Duty

Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I would seek a call from the inspection office for the state and try and get some guidance. I think confronting the local station you were at will be a no win situation.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I agree with senix on this one. In VA, the inspection process is governed by the State Police. Anyone that has a complaint with an inspection station, etc. can call the VSP and they will put them in touch with the trooper that's responsible for that area. I would call someone at the state level because confronting someone at the garage isn't going to get you a valid inspection sticker more than likely.

VA also has the same law regarding where the exhaust exits but it only states that it has to end past the passenger compartment. Obviously, it can't leak either. Too many of these stations try to interpret the law and don't spend enough time actually doing their job. Take it or have it taken somewhere else to have it checked after you get clarification on the law. For what it's worth, I see these type exhaust systems all of the time and as long as they end beyond the passenger compartment and don't leak, I consider them legal.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
I called the hotline again and they said all that I can do is file a complaint and an official will schedule an appointment for me during which my vehicle will be re-inspected and I can state my claim. But, if they deny my challenge claim, I get charged an additional $29 and I still don't have a valid inspection.

I'm tempted to go down there this afternoon with a printout of the inspection regulations and simply talk with the inspector. Maybe he will understand what I'm getting at and pass me?

Or maybe I'd just be pounding sand...

Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, it's worth a try as long as you stay calm...just saying...

If you do, I would ask him how he reached that conclusion. If the exhaust exits in front of the rear wheel, it is beyond the passenger compartment and I'm only taking a shot in the dark here, but I doubt the bed of your truck is equipped for passengers. Let us know what you find out.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
ironmine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure about the F150's? They would be having compaints up the gazoo.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I echo powerstroke72's caution, be polite and non-confrontational. You know you are right but they hold the power.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
I know it, I won't lose my head. Screaming and swearing won't get you very far I've learned.

As for the F150's... if they aren't like that stock, then there sure are a hell of a lot of them that have been converted this way. I've seen literally hundreds.

Looks like this:

Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I was stock in late 90's when the 150's changed body styles I remember. And the pick you have there looks to be a 96/97 model to me.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
Yeah I just googled 1997 F150 for an example; the point being that the argument of 'the exhaust failed because the tailpipe does not exit in stock location' is invalid. Why allow the regulations to be biased for different vehicles?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
senix
Super Moderator
might want to take that pic with you...and if he is resonable you could show him the regulation and pic at the same time.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
My plan exactly.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:04 PM
ironmine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you called up .... did you mention that you changed the exhaust system routing? Notwithstanding the regulation you quoted, maybe Mass. does mandate factory tail pipe location???

There's not much to the inspector's job .... strange that he would be getting this wrong. I guess you never know.

Years ago the old NJ "Div Motor Vehicles" empolyed people that didn't know their *** from their elbow. Some people used to outright bribe them .... I used to confuse them to get what I wanted. But, now, they are on the ball.

Let us know what happens.

(BTW ... M.E., Rutgers 1986)

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironmine
Are you sure about the F150's? They would be having compaints up the gazoo.
The stock exhaust on the 1997 F150 exited in front of the passenger side rear tire. They all came this way. Additionally, the 1997 model was introduced early (Jan 1996) just like the 2008 Super Duty so it had an extended production run. In 1998 Ford moved the exhaust exit to behind the passenger side rear tire so the 1997 model year was the only year for this forward location.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
enduro4231
Elder User
So I went to go back there today and the inspector was gone, but I stopped at a shop that does inspections across the street from them and asked them, and they said they would have passed it no problem. I stopped at the Jiffy Lube that originally turned me away and they said it was passable/legal as well. The guys at the first place I stopped at told me to go down to the RMV and talk to the inspector there, and if he deems it legal (which he most likely will) then he will call my original inspection station and order them to give me a passing sticker. Those are my plans for tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Some inspection BS...