6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Loss of turbo pressure towing heavy load (8000lb)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
a64armt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of turbo pressure towing heavy load (8000lb)

This is the second time I have had this problem.

Job build #2, 2008 6.4L F250 3.73 4x4 KR. Purchased new in August 2008. Towing in tow/haul mode.

In October 2008, we towed our boat from Savannah GA to Chambersburg PA with no issues (60mph). Then we took the boat to Lake Raystown to put it in winter storage. During a section of 7% grade or so, the turbo just lost all pressure. The gauge went to zero and the truck would barely inch forward. After a few moments of this, the pressure came back and all was normal for the rest of the trip. No check engine light, no regen message, etc. When I returned to Georgia that week, I had the truck serviced and told the service dept. about the incident. Of course they could find nothing. The truck has been operating fine since then. We have been averaging about 16.5mpg with the truck and it now has 16,500 miles. I just had it serviced and the PA inspection last week with the reflash completed.

Today we were bringing our boat (8000lb) home from storage at Lake Raystown PA to Greencastle PA. The trip to the lake went fine, with one regen episode. We hooked up and headed home. We were going to stop by 7 Points Marina and during the run up the first steep grade, near the top of the 2 mile or so leg, the turbo boost drops to 0, the truck starts to shutter, and the check engine light comes on NO regen message. I stop at the next pull off area and check the truck. Nothing visibly wrong. This place is in the middle of NOWHERE, so I decide to risk the trip home and we head for Greencastle PA. Over the next couple hours, driving conservatively, the truck is sporadic. Running fine one moment, then the boost gauge reading zero, and the truck shuttering. During the drive, the boost guage would fluctuate from below zero to 30 PSI, and anywhere in between. We take as easy and as flat a route as we can take. We stopped for lunch before we get on I-70, I idle the truck before shutting it off. We eat and the truck starts just fine, check engine light still on. When we finally hit interstate 70, the truck is hanging on, but still sporadic. I stopped a few times to check everything, nothing visibly wrong. I received the regen message once during this portion of the trip, but the truck didn't drive noticeably different.

When we hit Hagerstown MD, and get on I-81N, it all goes sour. The boost drops and the truck won't hold 40 mph on a small grade. We barely made it to the next exit and headed for Hagerstown Ford at 3pm (on a Saturday). The service dept was open, but no diesel tech. I could leave the truck, but they didn't have a loaner that would tow my boat. So I headed home. I had left the truck idling while I spoke to a service manager, hoping they would come out and look at it, but they didn't.

When I started up the I-81N on ramp, the boost kicked in (perhaps it is temp related). The boost holds just long enough to get to 55 mph and then starts to act up again. The needle bounces from below 0 to 20 and all places in between. It doesn't matter how much throttle I give it. Even during the incidents of zero boost, I can still hear what sounds like turbo whine, but nothing that sounds like rushing air or a loose clamp or tube.

Well, we barely, but finally made it home. I was hoping the turbo or something would have shot out the side of the truck. The check engine light is still on. I am guessing I will get the same reply as before; "can't find anything, maybe a regen (with the mono-tone voice of Eeyore), maybe normal".

I might try and drive the truck later without a load to see how it drives. I am hoping it is still acting up, but I won't hold my breath. If they can't find anything, I may have to hook the boat to the back and take it up the steepest grade I can find at max speed in 1st gear as many times as it takes until the whole engine falls out!

Very aggravating. This truck has been great, but if I can't use it to tow, why do I have it. I really hope the tech finds something!

Any thoughts?

Vincent

Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 AM
ctfordguy
Elder User
Just a thought, sounds like the engine is starving for fuel under load, have you changed the fuel filters yet? Ford recommends 10,000 miles if you tow...

Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
well 8K load is not that much, yes it will make the truck work. Sounds like a turbo issue, maybe something to do with the electronics once it gets warmed up. Good news is you have the check eng light so they will be able to read it and see what maybe wrong.

Might suggest that you take it in with the boat on it and have a ride along with the mechanic and or svc advisor.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
captain_trucks
Senior User
I bet they will find it to be one of the sensors,egr or boost pressure etc, if it were starving for fuel it usually will not kick a code. The code should store and they can recall it when they run diag. USUALLY but not always!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
a64armt
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I am hoping the check engine code will give them some direction.

I drove the truck around the block last night (without the trailer) and it drove fine (check engine light still on). I also drove it this morning to the gas station to get some gas (for the lawn mower, not the truck), and it ran fine as well. I really worked it going up a moderate grade and the boost went to 30psi with no issues.

I will take the truck in tomorrow and post what they tell me.

Edit: I believe the fuel filter was changed at the 1st service, I will have to check the receipts.

Thanks,
Vincent

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
niner9
Junior User
I had same problem couple of months ago, pulled up a long grade and no turbo at the top, no warning lights, no check engine, nothing. When the truck cooled down some it was fine, Ford dealership said the turbo probably got too hot and it shut its self down, not good though, I was only pulling two quads.....let us know what the outcome is.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
a64armt
Senior User
Well, roadside assistance picked the truck up from the house Monday morning. The dealership called Monday afternoon and said they found a loose hose clamp on the air intake. I guess the truck threw a couple codes for the MAF as well so it makes sense. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Well, the truck drives as well as it ever has. Now the real test will be to hook the boat to the back and head for the hills.<o></o>
<o></o>
Vincent<o></o>

Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
senix
Super Moderator
glad that was all it was, think I will check all of mine this weekend. Seems to be a common issue. Wonder if they just didn't tighen them down enough upon manufactering

Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 AM
a64armt
Senior User
Mine just came out of service a week before the incident, so I can't say either way. My truck also had a new head installed at the dealer before I bought it new (so says the Oasis report), so it is possible it was done then or during the last service.

I am just glad they found something and that is doesn't come back.

Vincent

Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 PM
a64armt
Senior User
Well, it didn't take long and didn't require a heavy load to rear its ugly head. Tonight, on the way to see Star Trek 2009, the truck started to hesitate severely. This was turbo lag to the extreme. There was no turbo pressure until the RPM’s hit around 3000 rpm and then it hit like a hammer. Eventually, the check engine light came on. I had difficulty achieving highway speeds and pulling into traffic was extremely dangerous. I pulled into a parking lot and called Roadside assistance. They would tow the truck to the dealer, but it was after 7pm and the service dept was closed and I would be left with no vehicle until tomorrow or we would have to call a rental car company. I decided to nurse it to the movie and back home. The truck acted up all the way there. After the movie, the truck seemed fine on the way home, big surprise. I put my foot into it and the boost responded, and went passed 30psi on several occasions.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
Tomorrow I will take the truck back to the dealer, but I am sure they will just check and clear the code. Perhaps they will “find a loose hose clamp”. At this point I cannot depend on the truck, nor would I hook my boat behind it. I am sympathetic to the point that troubleshooting is difficult, but this is really getting annoying. I would feel more confident if I knew the dealership had a knowledgeable diesel tech, but I am not getting a warm fuzzy.<o></o>
<o> </o>
I know the Oasis report showed the truck had a head replaced before I purchased it new, so I am wondering if this is related. If I had to take stab, I would say the first stage turbo is failing or even seized when the truck acts up.<o></o>
<o> </o>
Wish me luck.<o></o>
<o> </o>

Vincent<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 AM
rocke36
Freshman User
Maybe Electrical related??

Its almost got to be electrical related for it to be working fine one min and then not the next like that. Plus I would think if it was mechanical you would hear an awful racket or something and it wouldn't start working again like that. Maybe even have something to do with temp cause its acting like once its cooled down its good to go. But I'm not really sure, just figured I would throw some ideas out here.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
rocke36
Freshman User
Web Site to check out

Did a little searching and found some info on turbo pressure loss. Its not directly Ford related but there are some possible things it could be.

Tip 6

I was a little bored tonight ha, hope ya can figure things out with your truck.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go down to autozone, and use their rent-a-tool and rent a code reader. It should be able to give you some kind of code. For 2008 the Govt. mandated that the diagnostics systems in cars become and more standardized, so even a basic code read should be able to pull more codes then they could before.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
sounds to me like it is electronics for the turbo's that has a short or loose connection

Old 05-09-2009, 07:23 AM
a64armt
Senior User
I have a code reader (Scan Gauge I & II), but I am worried about connecting anything to the OBDII port. If the dealership thinks I connected anything, they may void or refuse to cover the repairs under warranty. I will give the Chambersburg PA dealer one more chance before taking the truck to the dealer in Hagerstown MD. After today though, I am going to connect the Scan Gauge so I can monitor the water temp and other items listed in the Tip 6 web page. Thanks for the link by the way, very informative. A lot of what I am experiencing sounds related (towing over the higher elevations, truck is fine when cool, etc).

I am getting ready to call the dealership and see if they want me to drive the truck in or have Road Side assistance pick it up. Driving it may make the problem occur again, but having it towed will prevent the truck from becoming hot and preventing the techs from working on it until it cools.

I will post back with what comes of this. I just want the truck back and operating correctly again. I don't want a different truck, and I know this isn't a reason to badmouth Ford, the truck/engine design, etc. Malfunctions occur, I just hope the techs are good enough to solve the problems.

Thanks again,
Vincent

Quick Reply: Loss of turbo pressure towing heavy load (8000lb)