N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

That was a fine mess I got myself into

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a fine mess I got myself into

Decided to paint the Horse Trailer yesterday, sanded it some since I couldn't find a mobile blaster to come out and no one esle was close enough for me to take it to...so, after some scuffing I steamed it off and let it sit for this morning, woke up to the rain and rolled it back under cover.

I found some Rustoleum paint my Dad had up on the shelf, cans said "Wimbelton White", color was actually grey...oh well, better than buying paint these days.

I've never sparyed Rustoleum before, other than in a can, looked around and found a gallon of "Reducer/activator" for Rustoleum, I knew there are some types of oils in Rustoleum and that it needs a special thinner, but just figured this reducer/activator was Rustoleums answer to Laquer thinner.

So I mixed things up, spray the trailer and get ready to clean the gun out, figure I'll just use the reducer/activator like laquer thinner and clean things up, if you've ever cleaned a spray guy before, you know it can get a bit messy on your hands, no problem, just used the thinner to clean up with.

Wrong (with Rustoleum), the reducer/activator re-activated the dry paint on my hands and every where else.

Damn, ran to the sink and loaded up on hand cleaner...no go, just got slimy and sticky.

Looked up on the shelves for the laquer thinner, found 4 empty cans, so that was no help.

Now the stuff is drying and my hands are getting pretty sticky too.

Damn again, run to the solvent tank and try to scrub this stuff off...solvent scrub, more handcleaner, still no luck.

Now I'm figuring out that the reducer/activator isn't like a laquer thinner And that what I need to get clean...but geeze, I can't drive into town like this, it'd ruin my steering wheel in my car, plus I'd stink up any store I went into.

So I'm sitting there looking around the shop and pondering just what the heck can I do? I spied a gas can and thought what the heck, I scrubbed of with some low-grade 87 Octane and finally got clean.

Geesh, this was a 20 minute ordeal wi me running from one place to the other trying to figure out how to get this off me.

Oh, for sure I don't have "soft-felt-hands" right now, in fact they're still tingling

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
y do u cheep goting it these sicjuwation

Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
That was an interesting experience to say the least. Good thing you had some 87 octane "cleaner" around!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I was painting the heavy brace behind my front bumper with black Rustoleum. I set the paint can on my driveway while was brushing on the black. After shifting to get to a different part, I noticed I knocked over the can. Half of it dumped on to the concrete before I could tip the can back up. I got a bunch of shop rags and started cleaning up, but 1/2 a can is lot paint. I had it all over my hands and clothes as well. I used mineral spirits to clean it up. It didn't stain the sidewalk too bad.

Be careful about using POR15 paint. If you get it on your skin, it will not come off until you shed off all the skin that gets stained. I got a little of that on my hands and it was still there almost three weeks later. I even washed my hands every week and it was still bad.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I've heard of mineral spirits, but never found a place to buy it. Where did you get it at?

Oh, and I've failed the Por-15 challange myself

Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
I've heard of mineral spirits, but never found a place to buy it. Where did you get it at?

Oh, and I've failed the Por-15 challange myself
I found mineral spirits at the local ace hardware.

Here is a website dedicated to cheap paintjobs using rustoleum.
www.rolledon.com

Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at least ur truck still runs lol

Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 AM
Mawk
Senior User
Let me know if you need a sand blaster. I've got one sitting at my friend's shop that I've used all but a handful of times. It's a cheap HF unit, but it works well.

How did it come out in the end? Throw some pictures up!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Yup, mineral spirits was about the only thing I had to get paint off my hands lately. Glad I had some around the garage.
I was thinking the same thing about the steering wheel until I found some mineral spirits in the back on a top shelf.