1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 PM
saauvenshine
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question wiring question

Im going to be rewiring my 54 F-100 and have complete original wiring harness to install. The old harness is original . My question is I have only one fuse on original which is on headlight switch when I rewire should I and where would I install fuseable links in harness. I know this model didnt have fuse boxes and I neede some input before I start. Thanks Stevie

Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, you are EXTREMELY limited with what to do here because you are going with the stock harness. You basically have two choices. Cut up the harness and install fuse holders in it, or wire it without protection. I think the 54 still had the circuit breakers mounted on the instrument panel that will protect certain items - maybe not. The fuse on the headlight switch just protects the inside light - might even be a 56 switch.

Are you converting to 12 volt, negative ground, alternator (one wire perhaps)?

In my honest opinion, unless you are a 100% stock restorer, I'd rewire with an EZ Wire harness or rewire one wire at a time using fuse blocks - as I did. You have NO room for growth with the stock harness, and no protection.

I can send you a diagram to rewire to, lots of pictures, and the part numbers at NAPA for the fuse blocks if you decide to go that route.