1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to remove the speed limiter??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
shanksyamaha
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to remove the speed limiter??

I have a 99 f250 SD with a triton v10. The speed limiter stops it at around 95 mph. Is it possible to remove that. Im no speed freek and I know this is not a race car but I have a 3 mile long straight road that I was smoked by a nissan pickup with a v6 the other day. My truck hits the speed limiter while im still in 3rd gear. I could easily have walked away from him if I didnt have that speed limiter. Then I had to listen to how I was smoked by a v6 all night. Just wondering. Thanks...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Mike at 5 Star Tuning can hook you up. 5 Star sponsors the V10 forum.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Bear in mind that your tires are only rated to sustained speeds of 97mph. There's a reason that limiter is there.

Ask the Nissan for a rematch...only this time with a 7,000lb trailer in tow.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 AM
shanksyamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
Bear in mind that your tires are only rated to sustained speeds of 97mph. There's a reason that limiter is there.

Ask the Nissan for a rematch...only this time with a 7,000lb trailer in tow.
Yes I know the speed limiter is there for a very good reason. This truck was never made to go that fast and I may never go that fast again I just want to be able to in the event that someone challenges me (like what happened this weekend. I talked a bunch of **** then got my *** smoked because I didn't know there was a speed limiter.) I know the risks involved.... I told him that the only difference was my truck could haul his house and everything he owns on a trailer and still go that speed and his truck would be lucky to haul a paper bag full of **** up a hill...

Still though I really would like that speed limiter gone....

Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Programmer will cure the limit situation.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sure will. My Superchips tuner removes mine. It goes well over 100 now.

That little Nissan...which one was it? If it was a newer Frontier that little bugger has a 261HP V6 moving a truck that in its heaviest configuration weighs in UNDER 4400lbs. You got about 2500lbs on him and only 14 more HP. Removing your limiter to race him will do nothing but put you (and others) in danger.

Pony up and be a big boy. Buy a different vehicle if you want to race. Enjoy all your stickers and the fact that your truck was made to haul and tow...not drag race.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
enduro4231
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My build sheet says that it was removed by the dealer. I'm sure they can do the same for you.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 AM
bohiaa
Elder User
I'm glad this guy is in up state NY.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Also have to factor in aerodynamics,Yours is like a big block moving down the road an the nissan is alot lower to the asphalt

Hanklin

Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
WeWonIt
Elder User
I had a 94 Nissan truck, and with the mods done to that little 2.4L. I doubt a Super Duty could catch it limiter or not, even beat a stock Mustang GT consistantly. Just take pride in the fact that no matter how fast they are, you still drive a Super Duty, everything else is just a wanna be.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
eightrac
Senior User
Another reason for the speed limiter is "driveshaft whip" that is present with 2-piece driveshafts. Its the same with automatic thunderbird SCs as they are speed limited to around 116 (because of 2-piece DS) whereas the 5-speed models have a 1-piece driveshaft and are speed limited to 145.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by eightrac
Another reason for the speed limiter is "driveshaft whip" that is present with 2-piece driveshafts. Its the same with automatic thunderbird SCs as they are speed limited to around 116 (because of 2-piece DS) whereas the 5-speed models have a 1-piece driveshaft and are speed limited to 145.
T-bird/cougar is limited to 106 - ask me how I know

I had my Superchipped '96 4.6L up to around 135 once, the driveshaft started the whipping thing, and gauled the tailshaft extension of the tranny. Dealer fixed it under warranty too

Easy fix was an aluminum Mark VIII driveshaft, but never got around to it.

I hit the limiter in my SD one day playing with a Hemi-powered regular-cab shortbed Dodge 1500.

Be safe, and keep the shiny side up. And don't play in traffic

Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
shanksyamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
That little Nissan...which one was it? If it was a newer Frontier that little bugger has a 261HP V6 moving a truck that in its heaviest configuration weighs in UNDER 4400lbs. You got about 2500lbs on him and only 14 more HP. Removing your limiter to race him will do nothing but put you (and others) in danger.

It was one of the early 2000's frontier 4x4 with the 3.3 liter 175hp v6. not the newer one that I wouldnt dare line up with. I had 3 nissan trucks in my life and two of them had this v6. The nissan was about 1/4 mile behind me when I hit my speed limiter in 3rd gear. I just shifted into 4th then 5th and watched him go by me. His truck could only go about 110 but it was enough to take me. I walked away from him until I hit the limiter. If the road was shorter he would not have cought me.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
shanksyamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by bohiaa
I'm glad this guy is in up state NY.

Why?? afraid your life might be in danger with me on the roads?? LOL!!!

Im glad you live in north mexico..............lmfao!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
shanksyamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by WeWonIt
I had a 94 Nissan truck, and with the mods done to that little 2.4L. I doubt a Super Duty could catch it limiter or not, even beat a stock Mustang GT consistantly. Just take pride in the fact that no matter how fast they are, you still drive a Super Duty, everything else is just a wanna be.
I had the same truck when I was in highschool, mine was a 93 though. 2x4, 5 speed stick, lowered to the ground and modded to the max. It got smoked by an automatic chevy corsica on top end. never topped 125mph on a good day. It was a sweet little truck that could handle any corner you threw at it at any speed. It was quick to 75 but not top end fast. I had a buddy with a stock 96 mustang GT that would walk me unless we were on a twisty road. He couldn't hold it in the corners like the little nissan could but on the straights he could top 140mph and was gone...

I am very proud of my truck, im not a kid anymore I now have a family and I got rid of all my go fast cars and got myself a minivan and a truck to haul the boat and camper, not to race.

Look, im not someone who drives like an *******. I usually never even take a vehicle to the top end and actually rarely break the speed limit (since I grew up and had a couple kids). But in this case I did and I got my *** handed to me. I will probly never see the guy again and will never get a rematch. I still want the speed limiter gone.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to remove the speed limiter??