1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Sputterin in wet/snow conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 AM
sheehast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sputterin in wet/snow conditions

A couple of months ago we had a large snowfall in MICH and I got a lot of snow under the hood. I figured the sputtering was due to excess snow in the engine compartment. It stopped after I pulled into a gas station for a bit and I think most of it melted off. It did this again later in the year when we got measurable snow, but again after a little while and apparently melting it's fine. Now it's sputtering in the rain and I'm not sure if moisture is getting in/on/around a hose? Possibly a crack in the fuel filter? I'm not sure where else the moisture could get that would do this, especially when I just driving down the road, no offroading, puddle jumping. The engine seems ok when maintaining a constant speed or decelerating. But whe I slowy accelerate it's sputtering constanly until I really put the petal down then it does it a little less. So on the road I have to keep my speed up and down to make it bearable. Any idea's

Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you have some water in the spark plug wells that is shorting out the spark intermittently. Pull the COPS or plug wires, as the case may be, and dry things out. Sometimes the COP boots or spark plug wire boots are damaged and will need to be replaced. be sure to put a bit of dielectric grease inside the boot with the plug to prevent ti from happening again. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
sheehast
New User
Since this is happening only recently it would seem more probable that damage to that wire would probably be the culprit, don't you think. It doesn't seem as logical that I'm getting water in the plug housing since every truck would have the same issue wouldn't it. There are only a couple of engine options right? So something is going bad...Does this logic make sense? If so I'm thinking the wire/boot. What about the coil that they hook to?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year truck and engine do you have?

I have a similar problem on accasion when it rains but I have never had the snow under the hood like you did. I originally replaced the spark plugs since they were due. It got better but still isn't fixed. I ordered new COPS for it and have them but haven't installed them yet. I expect that the COPS will do the trick.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The lite throttle missing is the give-away there is a bad COP.
There won't be any code to tell you which cylinder it is.
The reasons it does what it does is a long explanation.
Have the coils stress tested by a dealer to find which one is the offender.
Don't believe it's to expensive because you can spend a lot of money and time trying to find it yourself.
You also risk getting a new defective one in a set and really become confused if that happens with a mass replacement of all the coils..

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
sheehast
New User
I have the '99 F150 4.6 V-8. I put a K&N air filter on it and also put a Tornado in the intake.

If I just replace all 8 of the COP's and I might as well put new plugs in can I bypass dealing with the dealership? The COP's aren't super pricey so wouldn't it cost less to replace those versus dealer testing? And then I'm running all new anyway...What do you think?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
sheehast
New User
PS guys thanks for going thru this with me

Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
sheehast
New User
You know what else bothers me about this...The wheel well is not completely enclosed between the the tire and engine. I formally owned GMC and Chevy trucks and on all of them those 2 area's were always protected from each other. It doesn't look like something is missing or off, but something seems off....Don't know if anybody else noticed.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
They are all open the same way.
There are no ignition parts that low like your old truck.
Often it is a matter of airflow and cooling the engine bay for why the design is as it is.
For example; a poor design back in the day of the 70s Maverick and Comets was the engine bays were too closed resulting in overheating on cars used in the southwest US hot summers.
When the air can't get {out}, it won't come thru the radiator in enough volume to cool due to a pile-up condition.