1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F-1 or F-2, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
ctff6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-1 or F-2, that is the question

I purchased 3 1950 F-1s and 1 F2. The F-2 is fair body wise, but has rust through at the rear spring mounts. I have 3 good F-1 frames with weak bodies. Is there any real value to rebuilding the F-2?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Abomination
Senior User
Good F2 parts are rare, and hard to find. You could sell that F2, or part it, and get some money to build BOTH F1s... of course, F2 people are always desperate for parts, and have to "happen" across your ad, being the right person at the right place, at the right time (and have money).

The F1s you can actually ORDER THINGS for 'em, right out of a freakin' CATALOG.

Personally, I like the F2. I like a challenge. AND I like the fact that a '68 - '73 F250 rear end will bolt right in and you'll have highway gears. I also like that you can make a quick change rear end out of two right-side halves of the stock rear end. And I like the notoriety of folks seeing your 8" Express bed and knowing that you WORKED for your truck - you SCAVENGED for parts, etc. THAT alone separates us F2 folks from the F1 guys: we CAN'T order a bunch of parts from catalogs!

Be different. Build the F2! Well, that, or tempt us with parts! Post some pics!

Where are you located?

~Jason

Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to FTE! My first '48 F1 had rust through on the frame in the same location...ended up buying another. F2: The bed, running boards, and front fenders are different than the F1. Cab and doors are the same. Doing some swapping with the folks on here can probably get ya headed in the right direction if you want an F1. If you want something more stock looking, an F2 is a great way to go. My $.02

Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Abomination
Senior User
LOL!

"Stock Looking"? LMAO!

Folks ask me if I'm doing a restoration... which I'm not. But with the F2, cost-wise, it's just the path of least resistance!

~Jason

Originally Posted by havi
Welcome to FTE! My first '48 F1 had rust through on the frame in the same location...ended up buying another. F2: The bed, running boards, and front fenders are different than the F1. Cab and doors are the same. Doing some swapping with the folks on here can probably get ya headed in the right direction if you want an F1. If you want something more stock looking, an F2 is a great way to go. My $.02

Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
gearhead1952
Senior User
Where are you located? I've got an f2 and f3 frame, both rust free and cheap.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
ctff6
New User
I am located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, at the east end. I have always owned Ford trucks, mostly all F-350s. I am torn on this because I do like the idea of disc braking for deer. If I do decide to go the F-1 route, the F-2 frame does have the Timkin rear, and I also have an extra set of split rims. Some with snow grips that actually are not to bad of shape. As I can not post attachments, I would be willing to send pics of the truck, for anyone interested in the rolling chassis.

Mike

Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by ctff6
.... I do like the idea of disc braking for deer....

Mike
Just run a good bumper, like Mr. Gerland!!

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

One of the most asked questions about restoring F2s adn up is where can I get bed panels - you can't - unless someone is willing to part with a good bed somewhere. Like Abmntn said, you could probably part out the F2 and use it to restore the F1s

Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Abomination
Senior User
The F2 parts are like GOLD to an F2 guy. But you can't get too big of a head about it - like I said, it takes a bit of waiting for F2 folks to find you... and your stuff. One guy in the HAMB had a set of IMMACULATE running boards that he couldn't sell, and had 'em listed for months - when I found out someone had bought them for $75 TO CUT DOWN INTO F1 BOARDS I cried! Ow...

I live in Kansas City, gearhead1952 met me halfway from Denver in Goodland, KS on New Year's Day to trade me a set for a rear end he was needing and I found myself extremely lucky to have them!

They're almost done - there was a rusty area on one of them that's being fixed with part of an F1 running board that I actually got for free!

An F2 is a challenge, and scavenger hunts are but half the fun!

~Jason

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Hi and Welcome!

One of the most asked questions about restoring F2s adn up is where can I get bed panels - you can't - unless someone is willing to part with a good bed somewhere. Like Abmntn said, you could probably part out the F2 and use it to restore the F1s

Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
elliot
Freshman User
i think i might be the guy that bought the running boards on HAMB elliot

Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Abomination
Senior User
YOU sir, could easily double or TRIPLE your money re-selling those... if they're still intact!

Someone would probably trade you TWO SETS of F1 boards for 'em... folks with F2s usually either have or run across F1s for what parts they can use (cab, hood, and upper fenders - all the bed stuff, running boards, lower front and both rear fenders are different, as is the chassis).

~Jason

Originally Posted by elliot
i think i might be the guy that bought the running boards on HAMB elliot