6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

stuck in regen mode for a week. wtf....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stuck in regen mode for a week. wtf....

I had the reflash done a month and a half ago, shifting into 4th is now slow and sluggish.
But anyways....
I've been cleaning my damn Exhaust Filter for a week! I've burnt 1/2 a tank of diesel in the process.

Will it ever stop? yo, I don't know.
turn out the lights, and i'll glow... - vanilla ice

sorry....

but I call the dealer and they say to let it keep going for another week and if it still won't kick off, then to bring it in.

wtf is wrong with this piece of junk emissions system now?

- mad at spartan diesel for charging 1500 dollars for a tuner and a pipe -
that's more than buying windows server 2008 for craps sake.

Welp,
Let me know if anyone's had this problem.

thanks,
Mike

Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
If you have the spartan on it. take it back to stock. see if that helps. then take it to another dealer!

But remove the tuner first.

What they are telling is not correct.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you been able to drive for an extended period of time? I know you say 1/2 tank of fuel but that could be sitting at traffic lights or doing a bunch of small errands.

If you can drive for an hour or so on an interstate at speed it would be good. You might get it to either finish cleaning or trip an error code on a sensor somewhere.

If you have the Spartan tune, your issue is with them. I have read that it's a good company so they should be willing to help you out.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
oh, sorry, Its all stock.

I WISH I could afford a tuner to take this DPF off, is what I was saying...

as far as driving for extended periods,
Yes, i've driven for longer than 45 minutes per drive this week.
I even made a trip 20 miles longer than I had to, just to see if it would turn off.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Have you considered calling SPARTAN?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Have you considered calling SPARTAN?
I sure have!
I even went through the trouble of looking up their website, going to it, then searching for a DPF Delete tuner.
Then I came upon the price they charge.....

Then I was like, ya know, rmosso1 would lend me 1500 bucks, cause he's that kinda guy.
So then I started a thread about my truck stuck in regen mode and how I will probably have to take it to the dealer, where they will ask me if I ever put a chip on it. And i'll be all like, no....
Then they'll try to search for codes or something....
and i'll end up in a 'loaner' dealer vehicle with someone else's farts wiffing out of the used seat, while the dealer puts some crack smoking 'mechanic' in my truck to test drive it, searching for 'the problem'....

so send me the money via money order to:
Big Mike
@
Big Mike's House
Big Mike's zip code

I'll pay ya back when I get my stimulus check!

gota love that Regen function!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Mike SVOR:

I was trying to help. I still do not understand if you have a tune or not. Rambling is ok, I like to halucinate when bad things happen.

But, I get the feeling you are taking out other problems on your poor truck. It is under warranty and why not get a dealer that can help you.

Ford trucks are not for all operators. From what you write, best you get rid of your diesel, because it will get worse in the future.

CLEAN AIR IS HERE TO STAY....SORRY.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
haha, just rambling

I am also pissed because the right front tire's outside is already worn out with 16,000 miles on it.
The dealer won't give it an alignment cause they only cover up to 12,000 miles.
So I'm stuck with that BS too.

Ford can't build a reliable truck even if you custom order it from KY. (like I did and had to wait 4 months)
They couldn't even get the alignment right....

If It makes it to 30,000 miles with no problems, then it's getting a DPF tuner.
Until then, I don't trust it.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Mike SVOR:

How does a truck get out of alignment? Did you hit a curb? Did your wife hit a curb? Did you hit a tree? Come on, fess up on this forum. You are talking to tens of thousands of Super Duty truck owners. TRUST ME, what I say. NO ONE drives my truck. I do not hit curbs. I DO NOT drink and drive. I remember. I have had four Super Duty type trucks as listed in my AVITAR, and never, had a tire problem.

Please explain. We all get upset, but if you like to drive over a log, or if you get excited in driving, you very easily can knock out your front alignment. Is that a FORD problem. Please tell me about your driving habits. Many readers here will help you complain to FORD. PLZ tell us why!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Yeah Mike, you seem like a cool guy with a great sense of humor and I like that. A lot of people on these boards are pretty serious about two things.

1. SuperDuty trucks and Diesels.
2. Helping people that need it, who ask for it, and return the favor.

I'm with you Mike, the 6.4 can be frustrating. The alignment? Who knows but it's not worthy of making it a crappy truck.

The 6.4 is hard to deal with because it does so many things that seem to be random and most men really need to know what the pattern is, why, and what's next. We don't like when things happen and we don't know anything about why. There are a LOT of posts here about the 6.4's quirks. Have a beer or 6 and read for a while.

If you can handle throwing $300 at it, get the Edge Insight gauge display. It will tell you lots of info and read any codes that are thrown out.

Edge Products: Home

And seriously, I have a great sense of humor too. It's all good. BUT, we're not the complaint department and we are very loyal to Ford.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Mike SVOR:

How does a truck get out of alignment? Did you hit a curb? Did your wife hit a curb? Did you hit a tree? Come on, fess up on this forum.
In all seriousness, I DID NOT hit anything. Nothing is bent or loose under the truck. I've had it jacked up in my driveway and went around inspecting everything.
It was set with entirely too much toe (toe'd in). Camber seems 'ok', but could use a touch of neg.
This thing has seen only highway driving and twice off road in sugar sand (driving fairly easy with my 4wheeler quad in the bed).
They f'd up at the factory and I stood in front of the service department's manager telling him this:
Look, nothing is bent, broke, or wore out under the truck.
Him: true
Me: so for the tire to get that bad with 15,000 miles on it, it had to be set that way from the factory.
Him: grumble, grumble, maybe....
Me: so ford refuses to fix a problem that surfaced before the 'alignment warranty' ran out?
Him: Yes.
Me: [feeling like smoking the rear tires down in his service entrance]
Me: Why would you turn away service that your guys can make money on and lose a long time customer for such small cost?
Him: says nothing....
Me: goes out and calls FORD on their 1800-your-f'd hotline....
FORD: Ummm, yea, we can't cover that......
Me: Saving up money for 'mechanic' Joe Bubba to put a simple alignment on it.
Me: contemplating aligning it myself with a friggin string. (Yes, I can do a better job than FORD did with a string)

[italian voice] No disrespect... [/italian voice]

Originally Posted by ruschejj
Yeah Mike, you seem like a cool guy with a great sense of humor and I like that. A lot of people on these boards are pretty serious about two things.

1. SuperDuty trucks and Diesels.
2. Helping people that need it, who ask for it, and return the favor.

I'm with you Mike, the 6.4 can be frustrating. The alignment? Who knows but it's not worthy of making it a crappy truck.
Thanks,
I know it's not a piece of junk, it's just, put together, by people that didn't give a crap.

Have a beer or 6 and read for a while.
thanks man,
I've been here for a while.
Check my born on date.

If you can handle throwing $300 at it, get the Edge Insight gauge display. It will tell you lots of info and read any codes that are thrown out.
naw, I'm not spending anything on this truck till I get a DPF tuner on it.
My only goal for this truck is that, and a set of factory 20" wheels.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
It bites that your dealer is so stingy on the alignment issue. My dealer here in SC is nothing like that. They found a way to creatively cover the cost of my second radiator that had to be replaced at something like 65,000 miles. I had to pay a $100 deductible. In fact, they forgot to charge me the $100 and a couple of months went by, I reminded them of it.

I have been to two good Ford service dept.'s. One is my local and the other was in Panama City, FL. Maybe you should take a trip to FL or SC!

Hope your DPF gets better.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I always remember buying my 2001 Excursion with V-10. It was in Florida and Route 19 was under construction near Clearwater. The salesman wanted to show me how macho the vehicle was, and drove up over the curb, side mounted the curb and thru construction debris that was totally unnecssary.

I did buy the same truck, but not that one. I felt sure the alignment was messed up.

P.S. We have a good FORD garage here in Macon, GA.--NEXTRAN TRCUK CENTER.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 AM
richfaa
Elder User
They did all the bad stuff on your truck. We on the other hand have had no problems what so ever. We have two dealers. One here in Florida and one at home in Ohio..both excellent. Had the new flashes last month..The truck runs better and gets better MPG. I wonder how some trucks can be "junk" and others be trouble free. What goes on in those factories???

Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dad has been having troubles finishing his regens since the reflash as well, it takes almost the entire trip to start the regen up then it just doesnt have time to finish it off, this might b part of your problem, most of his trip is just getting the systems up to temp.

Quick Reply: stuck in regen mode for a week. wtf....