1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shop Manuals, everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Ditto the others. And I'll add. When I was at that place in life a restorer advised that I should buy an original '48 to '52 Chassis Manual (Jan 1952 version) rather than the '48 to '56 reprint version from 1964. Like the red one Julie shows above. He explained that in the reprint version Ford consolidated part numbers and eliminated some parts all together since they were NLA. You might find the picture, but there won't be a number for it in the 1964 Text version. Naturally, I already had the 1964 reprints by that time (wouldn't ya know). Since having both versions, I have found examples over the years that have confirmed his advise.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Abomination
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention that the '48 - '56 only has like 5 illustrations of the '48 - '52 body... well, that I found, anyway.

My '50 F2 came to me as a basket case, and I seriously am needing exploded drawings of how the body goes together...

~Jason

Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Ditto the others. And I'll add. When I was at that place in life a restorer advised that I should buy an original '48 to '52 Chassis Manual (Jan 1952 version) rather than the '48 to '56 reprint version from 1964. Like the red one Julie shows above. He explained that in the reprint version Ford consolidated part numbers and eliminated some parts all together since they were NLA. You might find the picture, but there won't be a number for it in the 1964 Text version. Naturally, I already had the 1964 reprints by that time (wouldn't ya know). Since having both versions, I have found examples over the years that have confirmed his advise.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Abomination
Senior User
Hey - never underestimate the importance of cats. On a cold day, they not only are considerate enough to perch on top of your chest when you're under the car to prevent heat from leaving your body, but they also are nutritious (if a little gamey)!

~Jason

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
We do this every Spring - make the plea to get your manuals.
Then we wait for the "I tried the procedure in the manual, while it worked it took two people and a cat to get it done".
At This point one of the bright old men/ladies will step in and say
"OK now that you did it the right way here's how to do it the easy way.
Now can you see the importance of you having the correct manuals?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Abomination
Hey - never underestimate the importance of cats. On a cold day, they not only are considerate enough to perch on top of your chest when you're under the car to prevent heat from leaving your body, but they also are nutritious (if a little gamey)!

~Jason
LOL...I like it!!

I too like cats, they taste alot like chicken...........

Bobby

Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
This is the trickiest book to get. It has to have to the June, 1956 edition, I bought the June 1952 version and it didn't have the illustrations for the '48-52 trucks I wanted. I also mistakenly bought the reproduction of the June, 1956 when I saw it on eBay. It's like Julies said, it's reduced in size so it's useless to scan images out of:

Jason,

The manuals you have pretty much cover everything, including the above catalog. I also have a parts catalog that has a few more diagrams that I haven't found in other catalogs. I bought in on eBay quite a few years ago for around $5. It didn't have a cover and the binging has deteriorated. The pages are getting dry so I have to handle it with care. What diagrams are you looking for? If I can find it in the books I have I'll scan and post them. I am trying to scan all of the diagrams one image at time, as people ask for them.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I would recomend checking ebay.

I wanted to get the two volume set of the 1949 - 1959 ford car illustration and text catalog. Every place I found wanted $200 for the two book set.

Went on ebay and got a PDF file digital copy of the same exact thing both books for $20.

I also got a 1956 Ford Car shop manual off ebay came out of a ford dealership for $10.

I am looking for a digital copy of the manual in PDF file. I hate opening that shop manual cause the thing is so close to falling apart. The spine is good but its thin.

I am also looking for orignal 1956 Ford-O-Matic Ford shop manual as well as the A/C manual. Car doesnt have AC but I like to have complete sets. Dont know of anyone offering digital copies of those but I know a few automotive literature sites that sells the orignals fairly cheap.

I would how ever recomend getting a digital copy though it would be cheaper and you can print out the exact page you need. Or you can do like I plan on get a cheap notebook computer and you can take it to the car and dont have to worry about the pages flipping while your doing the work.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Abomination
Senior User
I'm pretty much lost when it comes to the the front end - especially gravel shields and inner fenders, etc. I mean, I can figure out the sheet metal, etc, but I'm just wanting to make sure I can get the front end on 100% correct when the time comes, you know?

~Jason

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
This is the trickiest book to get. It has to have to the June, 1956 edition, I bought the June 1952 version and it didn't have the illustrations for the '48-52 trucks I wanted. I also mistakenly bought the reproduction of the June, 1956 when I saw it on eBay. It's like Julies said, it's reduced in size so it's useless to scan images out of:

Jason,

The manuals you have pretty much cover everything, including the above catalog. I also have a parts catalog that has a few more diagrams that I haven't found in other catalogs. I bought in on eBay quite a few years ago for around $5. It didn't have a cover and the binging has deteriorated. The pages are getting dry so I have to handle it with care. What diagrams are you looking for? If I can find it in the books I have I'll scan and post them. I am trying to scan all of the diagrams one image at time, as people ask for them.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Jason,

Are you looking for something like this?

These are both in the catalogs you have.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Abomination
Senior User
This is one of the more daunting jigsaw puzzles I have ever undertaken... my '63 Wurlitzer I wasn't daunted by (and it was the biggest electro-mechanical nightmare, ever), but this is a different story!

Those are exactly the printouts I needed - if I can print 'em out and put them up to stare at at work for a while, and have assembled things in my head about a million times, then the actual bolting together of the real parts won't be a big deal at all!

Thanks, Bob!

~Jason

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Jason,

Are you looking for something like this?

These are both in the catalogs you have.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Those (Bob's print outs above) are in the "48-52 Ford Truck Chassis Parts Catalogue" - as will be most of the other assemblies. It's the Tan one with the red circle on it I posted earlier. That would probably be the most valuable book you have if you are re assembling. Bed things are hard to find but they are out there. I have some if you can't find them.

Also, a lot of those drawings are posted on this site:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ings_links.htm

Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Jason,

that front clip is a real fun thing to put together. There are about a gadzillion and one bolts holding it all in place, most of them can only be reached by tiny little goblins. The first step of the process is to hang the grill out in space somehow (I'm not sure how this is done since my magic wand ran out of batteries) and then start bolting everything else to it...no problem

Bobby

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Oh come Bobby, it's not that bad. First you hang the inner fender panels and the grill to the radiator support. After that it all goes together. The fun part is taking the old sheet metal off with all of the rusted bolts. I usually remove the 6-8 bolts that hold the clip to the front sheet metal, remove the clip, flip it over and soak everthing with oil. If it doesn't come off with a socket wrench the gas wrench come out.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 PM
denverslim
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a couple that I use. The red 49-52 is a re-print found on ebay. The binding was so cheap that the glue all came loose quickly. I recommend an old greasy original, if you can find it. The operators manuel is also a reprint but was SO new-looking that I dunked it in water for a second, then left it out in the sun to dry. Lol. NOW it looks like a useful book with some experience...slim

Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I got some reproduction books but I havent dipped them to make them look aged. I use the reproductions for use and I collect the orignals for looks. Half of them are too old to be safely used without falling apart.

I do how ever got alot of orignals the photo below shows the orignal 1956 Ford shop manual that came out of a dealership, the five volume 1978 Ford shop manual set, as well as orignal dealership brochures for my 78 and my 63. Still trying to find dealer brochures that covers my model for the 56. The binder to the right though contains a 1963 assembly maual, accessory assembly manul as well as restoration companies. The silvery grey book to the left of the 56 shop manual is a Jim Osborn reproduction 1956 Ford body & interior trim/sealant assebly manual. Have to say that one is nice but the scanned images are not that great. Text is sometimes small and hard to read and one one of the large oblong sheets are sometimes two pages pieced together.

This is one that I have yet to see a reproduction of anywheres its an orignal new car questionaire that still has the mail in card attached and not filled out.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Abomination
Senior User
If one of you guys sees the '48 - '52 Chassis Parts Catalog out there, somebody tip me off, will ya?

~Jason

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Those (Bob's print outs above) are in the "48-52 Ford Truck Chassis Parts Catalogue" - as will be most of the other assemblies. It's the Tan one with the red circle on it I posted earlier. That would probably be the most valuable book you have if you are re assembling. Bed things are hard to find but they are out there. I have some if you can't find them.

Also, a lot of those drawings are posted on this site:

Flathead Parts Drawings Links

Quick Reply: Shop Manuals, everyone?