Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Cheapest car in world intro'd in India-Ford compete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest car in world intro'd in India-Ford compete?

The cheapest new car in the world..the Tata Nano.... has been launched in India for less than $ 2000 US. It's not much of a car, that's true, but for a country that people generally use motorcycles as a family vehicle...what a change to be able to buy a car.

BTW Tata owns Aston-Martin and Land Rover I believe and they bought these makes from Ford. Tata is big and profitable.

I wonder if Ford should investigate the possibility of building very cheap to buy cars and trucks in third world markets. The reason I suggest this is that there are millions of potential customers in these countries and if a manufacturer gets in at the bottom floor when people buy their first car...brand loyalty may continue as they can afford more.

BBC NEWS | Business | World's cheapest car is launched

Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive read a little bit about this car before. Sounds very cheap, reminds me of the ford fiesta that was a huge pos car sold here.

I vote that ford stays away from selling pos cars. They have had a bad enough rep selling them in previous years. I wanna see a good quality car, for a reasonable price (reasonable considering the fact that your paying for quality and a new vehicle)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 PM
less
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Ive read a little bit about this car before. Sounds very cheap, reminds me of the ford fiesta that was a huge pos car sold here.

I vote that ford stays away from selling pos cars. They have had a bad enough rep selling them in previous years. I wanna see a good quality car, for a reasonable price (reasonable considering the fact that your paying for quality and a new vehicle)
But what if Ford sells a good, basic, stripper that works well, is reliable, durable...just not fancy at all.

Many a country it seems had a basic car to get cars into the hands of the masses.
  • North America had the Ford Model T
  • France had the Citroen 2CV
  • Germany had the VW Beetle
  • Great Britain had the Austin Mini
  • Italy had the Fiat 500
  • Russia had the Lada
  • East Germany had the Trabant
The Nano seems more basic than some others...well maybe not the Fiat, Trabant, Citroen 2 CV......about the same

Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
If it actually came down to a good reliable car for cheap, and it was basic, then sure. But to get that cheap price, the quality always goes down. Cheaper parts, corners cut to cut production costs, you name it.

I bet that Nano doesnt last much more then a year before its garbage!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 PM
less
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by preppypyro
If it actually came down to a good reliable car for cheap, and it was basic, then sure. But to get that cheap price, the quality always goes down. Cheaper parts, corners cut to cut production costs, you name it.

I bet that Nano doesnt last much more then a year before its garbage!
You could be right about the Nano's life expectancy...but maybe not. My Father's first car was a 1926 (I think) Ford Model T. He bought it for about $ 15 (that was good money in the depression) in 1936 when he was 16 years old.

It ran ok but he said, but that it had a fault...a hole...but that hole was in a bad place...the bottom of the gas tank.

Other than that for a ten year old car it was ok mechanically and when you think about it, it was still drivable after 10 Winnipeg winters.

If Tata makes a basic car as good as a Model T , then maybe these cars will be successful. It's important to remember that Tata is a huge company with a long experience in making vehicles that survive well in the third world.Many of the buses and trucks take gross overloads on roads that are abysmal...they make good, strong vehicles.

Tata group | Our businesses | Products and services | For businesses

Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
To me a simple but fairly well built car with no frills is a good thing. For city commuting I think it`s got good potential. Vehicles today are too complex with too many gadgets to go wrong. My 05 F350 probably has more (and mostly unnecessary but) consumer demanded computer ability than the first space shuttle! None of it`s a simple quick fix when a function goes wrong.....

Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
To me a simple but fairly well built car with no frills is a good thing. For city commuting I think it`s got good potential. Vehicles today are too complex with too many gadgets to go wrong.
I feel the same way

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
The walmart era of today where everything is buy cheap, use then throw away, you cant even compare a ford model t to this new nano!

I fear the days of good well built cheap anything is long gone.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
I`m afraid your right Sheldon, for the most the consumer`s drive for bargains has killed that.
It`s still good to see that firms like Dewalt, Hobart, Miller, Lincoln and Makita are still managing, for the most part, to produce quality items that out last the foreign junk flooding our shores. Hopefully at least some of these factories are still in North America.......

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Yep a car that says flamboyantly. (I backcatch)

Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
See Morris, I actually dont mind foreign products, as long as its quality stuff. (think electronics)

I wonder what a base model focus would be here in Sask/Manitoba. No frills, 2 door, manual transmission. For a ford thats about the most basic car they have to offer us up here, and if they could offer it for say around 10 grand, and carry at least a 3 year warranty, I think they would be doing pretty good.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:22 AM
havenlong29
New User
tata nano usa

I agree with you. This topic is popping all over the internet. Every now and then online will always be the best way to connect with other people especially if you're going to buy something or know about everything. Like what I have just read awhile ago about the Tata Nano newest beetle, people's car? Tata Motors has confirmed, going to be brought to the U.S. down the road. It won't be the $2,500 bare-bones affair sold in India, but rather manufactured to meet regulations to be sold and it will be a bit more expensive, but still inexpensive.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting to see this topic revisited...I just read the link and see that there is 0 safety factors in that car. Not that I'm "Mr Safety", but there is no way on this green earth our bubble wrapped society will allow this vehicle to be sold or registered in North America without having a gazillion airbags and various other self driving, self parking, proximity sensors, blah, blah, blah...to help protect the stupid people from other stupid people...

I did see a Mitsubishi add for a new car they have supposed to sell for $9998 CAD... That's a pretty cheap new car in North America with the best warranty in the business.