Sponsored by: Moser

No Transmission Dip Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM
BartStar
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Transmission Dip Stick?

No transmission dip stick, got the manual out, there isn't no dip stick, it said, only a tranined Ford Tech can check the transmission fluid?
It has NOTHING in the manual about what fluid, when to change the fluid, when it needs serviced.
Any additional information can you guys add?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
I guess they are saying don't worry about it. So another reason to buy a ESP. Soon these trucks will not be serviced anywhere except at the dealership. But they do give you a transmission temp gauge so you will know when you have fried the fluid. Chris

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
NorminN.B.
Senior User
I have always changed the fluid myself, at around 50k. Guess I wont be able to anymore. Bummer

Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well ford's not the first not to have a tranny dipstick, lots of 4 banger front wheel drive cars don't and most gm's vehicles don't

but if you look on the tranny it self their will be a spot to check the fliud and add, they just don't tell you

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The 5-speed auto in the Mustangs hasn't had one since they came out in 05.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Seems kind of wierd especially since the F-150 is touted as a "tow" vehicle. I'd like to have more control over routine maintanence than that espeically if I'm towing / hauling heavy loads frequently.

Tim

Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
This does not surprise me from ford most all other trucks also have a drain plug on the tranny, so now the DIY guy will have to put it up on a ramp to even check the tranny, hell even my old 03 camry has a dip stick and a drain plug about every 30K I dump the fluid and put in 4 new qts. fluid stays clean just like new

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a friend that works at gm that said they're about 5 years away from engines that never need oil changes....he said they've been testing them for a few years now and they're coming.....

Funny part about it with the guys that change it every 30K on the tranny....is if ford tests and designs them to go 100K in between changes....what are you gaining??? I've got a friend that changed his diff fluid at 20K miles cause thats what he's always done...put the best dino fluid back in......after i pointed out that he dumped the synthetic factory fill down the drain......just doesn't make much sense to me...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
I've got a friend that works at gm that said they're about 5 years away from engines that never need oil changes....he said they've been testing them for a few years now and they're coming.....

Funny part about it with the guys that change it every 30K on the tranny....is if ford tests and designs them to go 100K in between changes....what are you gaining??? I've got a friend that changed his diff fluid at 20K miles cause thats what he's always done...put the best dino fluid back in......after i pointed out that he dumped the synthetic factory fill down the drain......just doesn't make much sense to me...
Sorry I don't share the same confidence in fords change intervals as u do I just had my 100K plugs changed at 45K the ford dealer broke 7 of 8 did get them out also had my forever cam phasers and lash adjusters changed at same mileage luckily I had ext. warr., remember one thing on these long service intervals ford is selling trucks the shorter they last the more they sell as u may tell I am pretty dis-enchanted with ford at the present time

Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok.....but changing fluids and changing spark plugs when there is a known problem is different.....sure...if people are having transmissions go out at 50K miles due to fluid being burnt...change it.... but when your tranny fluid is as clean as the day it went in at 50K miles.....why waste the money....

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
gpp
Freshman User
i would think there would be a plug some where to check the fluid and add if it needs it.my 94 bmw has a plug like a rearend has.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:53 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Originally Posted by gpp
i would think there would be a plug some where to check the fluid and add if it needs it.my 94 bmw has a plug like a rearend has.
You are right, how does the Ford tech get fluid back into transmission after he/she dumps it? So now there is a mission for us on this forum "Find The Plugs Holes" one in and one out. Then we can DIY if you so please. Chris

Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ford has used no dipstick on the 5R55 trans...

Originally Posted by Chris Anchor
You are right, how does the Ford tech get fluid back into transmission after he/she dumps it? So now there is a mission for us on this forum "Find The Plugs Holes" one in and one out. Then we can DIY if you so please. Chris
...in the Ford Explorer going back to 2002 at least (also the Mustang, Ranger, etc). There is a double drain plug on the transmission. The larger hex will dump the fluid, but if you remove the smaller torx plug from the center of the large hex, there is a tube that goes up a few inches and the "full" fluid mark is when you have as much fluid in the tranny as possible without it running out of that small hole.

To put more fluid in, you stick a tube up the smaller hole, like an enema

Sounds like a pain in the neck to me, but it keeps backyard mechanics and quickie lube idiots from overfilling the trans, adding the wrong fluid, etc.

George

Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
...in the Ford Explorer going back to 2002 at least (also the Mustang, Ranger, etc). There is a double drain plug on the transmission. The larger hex will dump the fluid, but if you remove the smaller torx plug from the center of the large hex, there is a tube that goes up a few inches and the "full" fluid mark is when you have as much fluid in the tranny as possible without it running out of that small hole.

To put more fluid in, you stick a tube up the smaller hole, like an enema

Sounds like a pain in the neck to me, but it keeps backyard mechanics and quickie lube idiots from overfilling the trans, adding the wrong fluid, etc.

George
I am sorry but that is the dumbest idea I have ever heard of, ranks right up there with fords spark plug issue and cam phasers

Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
aliasmax
Freshman User
Last month when i picked up mu 09 f150 xlt the service manager told me to bring the truck in every 30k for a transmission flush.

Quick Reply: No Transmission Dip Stick?