Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

<<Fuel Pump Help>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
hunteradams7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<Fuel Pump Help>>

I just got a starter problem fixed now I ain't getting no fuel to the motor. I took the line loose from the fuel filter and tried cranking it and I ain't getting no gas coming out of it. I turn the key on and ain't getting a fuel pump buzzing sound either. I read where I need to check the fuel cut off on the pass side fender to reset it or how would I check to see if I'm getting power to the pump or if the pump has just gave out on me either one...

Thanks.... This is a GREAT WAY TO SPEND MY SPRING BREAK...

Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
right to the right of the main plug that goes into the firewall at your feet there is a enertia switch make sure it's in the right position and if it is just run a toggle switch with a hot wire to the pink or red wire i forget what color it is but the lighter one not the dark one.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM
hunteradams7
New User
So I need to find the enertia switch and make sure it's on and if that doesn't work then just run me a hot wire to the lighter color wire running from the enertia switch...
By doing that am I just making sure I'm getting power to the fuel pump?? or what??

Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
by doing that you are telling the computer "up yours" and taking fuel pump control away from it lol

the lighter color wire is the one you want to run the toggled hot wire to if you want to keep the enertia switch

the dark one goes right to the pump but if your in an accident the fuel pump won't shut off till you hit the switch or disconnect the battery

if your fuel pumps are not working then chances are that the computer is at fault IMHO and instead of getting a new computer you could just run a toggled hot wire to that wire and that sends juice to the pumps

if this doesn't work then what you need to do is remove the toggled hot wire and put everything back to how it was (give your computer back power over your fuel pumps) and trace wires till you find something messed up, or you could just rewire everything

or if you don't feel like rewiring everything just get a toggled hot wire, and run two wires to the toggle switch other than the hot one. so at the switch you have 1. fuel pump on the frame rail under the cab 2. intank fuel pump power (i forget which wire it is but you can check) and on the other post of the toggle have the hot wire
now i would run new wire all the way to the pump by the frame rail and to the toggle and from the toggle to the pump in the gas tank unless you have duel tanks then you need to figure out which one you want to use or figure out where the problem in your stock wiring is

can you tell i REALLY hate tracing wires and would rather rewire it

now i don't really have a computer in my truck anymore cause i got pissed off one day with a pair of wire cutters and ditched the fuel injection in favor of a carb so i don't know for sure if this would play well with your computer

i'm sure someone else will chime in and tell you to ignore everything i just said, but if you do it my way you KNOW your fuel pump will work but your computer might go insane and cut power to your coil or something dumb like that i have no idea

chances are that if you don't hear any buzzing your fuel pumps are still good they just arn't getting power since you have a frame rail one and an intank one and both of them usually don't fail at the same exact time

Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the check engine light come on when u turn the key to run? If no, check the wiring to eec relay and fuelpump relay. Theres a fuseable link over under the relays also. I had problems similar to urs and the plug to relay was toast. Eec relay energizes the fuelpump relay

Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Nealcrenshaw
Senior User
What kind of starter problem did you have fixed? it sounds like it could be your fuel pump. Check to see if you're getting voltage to the pump, if not hook a hot jumper wire to the pump and see what happens.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
hunteradams7
New User
Ok I have done the switch thing running a hot wire to the red one and it didn't seem to do anything. I got under the truck and started tracing wires but come to find out there is like 5 different wires running just to the rear tank. I tried to see if any of them had power and none did from what I could tell from my piece of crap test light. I started dropping the fuel tank an have a look for myself. I got stuck when the fuel lines are in the way so it want let it fall to the ground. My girlfriend then had me start working on something else so until tomorrow morning I got to come up with as much info as possible about fuel pumps..

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
hate to break it to you but you'll have a tough time getting the tank out the bottom lol it is sooooo much easier to pop it out of the top it's about 6-8 bolts to pull off the bed and a wiring harness to unplug and the gas tank filler necks to undo then you'll have easy access to everything

your fuel pump should only run for 3 seconds when you first turn the key to on and the engine is not running

and like DEEZnuts said check the relays...sorry forgot about them

Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
The relays are definately something to check as well as the fusable link. The eec relay has something to do with the fuel pump relay priming. I was having trouble with the redwire that goes to the eec relay losing connection,and not firing up the fuel pump. changed all threepumps and it ended up being a rigged wire at the eec relay. Stuck eec relay will cause the computer to stay on all the time and drain the battery. It will also cause the fuelpump not to prime till the motor turns over,and sometimes not light the checkengine light

Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
hunteradams7
New User
I got the fuel pump out and am trying to test to see if it's getting power and I ain't getting anything to it. The gas gauge is reading the float moving. So what's the deal? Ok I checked the fuses and fuel pump relay they both are fine and getting power. At the enertia switch the little gray wire is the only one having power to it. The red and green one don't seem to have any going to it. None of the fuel lines going into the fuel pump are not getting power so:yellow, red, and 2 blacks. What could be more helpful hints or tips to fixing my problem?? It's getting really frustating I'm sure I have ruined my battery trying to mess around with this dang thing.. P.O.S

Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
so you have power to the enertia switch, but nothing coming out of it, i would double check the switch to make sure it isn't popped (i have no idea what a popped switch looks like havn't done that yet) maybe try a new switch

with the fuel pump in the tank can't you see if there are wires going to the pump if you have the pump out of the tank? look at those wires and i would say your two blacks are ground and either the red or yellow goes to the pump for power. so you could put a switched hot wire to which ever powers the pump in the tank and then use the same switched hot wire and run it to the pump under the cab on the frame rail, this one is easy there is a little wire that plugs right into the bottom of it. (at least on my 89 there is)

and if you do use a toggled hot wire buy another enertia switch (to make sure its good) and wire that into the system on the hot wire infront of the pumps.

i had two friends in highschool who had a fox body mustang that had a holley electric fuel pump and was converted to a carb. they used rubber fuel line and hose clamps instead of braided -an line, well they where being stupid and did a burnout infront of a schoolbus and somehow ended up pinned between the schoolbus and a road bank, they couldn't reach the fuel pump switch and the hose pulled off the carb and sprayed down the distributor and coil with fuel---they burned to death

use an enertia switch and don't let this happen to you and make sure to make fun of anyone who uses rubber fuel line and hose clamps and tell them about that story

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
hunteradams7
New User
So I just can put a hot wire on it just to see if the pump actually works and go from there. I got a guy that works at the Ford place coming over Saturday to help me out. He owe me a favor for welding up his exhaust and a bumper for him. He went over all the same things we have but I just can't put a finger on what's the problem. I hope it's not to expensive because I ain't investing much into this thing. I'm going to try and sell it and get a 4x4 truck or if that fells I'm going to have to put another tranny, tcase and solid axle under it and ride out...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
lol i wouldn't think it would be more than a $20 fix for the wire and a toggle switch and maybe an enertia switch

let us know what the problem is

Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
When u had the trouble with the starting did u have the starter solonoid unhooked and maybe miss a wire? Other wise DOES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON WHEN U TURN THE KEY TO RUN? If u dont then computer is NOT GETTING POWER,and the pumps wont run,and neither will the truck.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
hunteradams7
New User
I'm pretty sure that the CHECK ENGINE light aint coming on. I'm away at school right now but if I remember right only thing was the battery and oil looking light that came on. I don't understand what I could have missed tho. There was only two wires going to the starter. I re ran another power wire and the little wire was just a ignition looking wire. I put another starter on it because I got that one for free and they told me I could just rewire it through my solenoid.

The starter is turning over great now tho. But just aint getting no power to the fuel pumps... I've checked the little fuses on the driver's side fender and I don't know whatelse it could be. Even checked the switch on the passenger inside fender panel. The gray wire is the only one with power the little one not the bigger two red or green if I remember right. So I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the electrical system.

Quick Reply: <<Fuel Pump Help>>