6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New Banks 6.4L Tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 AM
astamp78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Banks 6.4L Tuner!

Banks Power | 64L Tuner

It's not actually released yet but looks like a heck of an improvement! I don't normally pay much attention to testing done by a manufacturer, but Banks tends to do good testing that is matched by 3rd party.

I pre-ordered!

They are saying stage 4 was getting the best MPG increase, about 3MPG in normal driving.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Greyman
Senior User
There's another new Bank's tuner thread going now, check it out. They are supposed to be shipping on the 31st. Colin Banks posted on another Diesel board and was eager to get the facts straight.Banks Six Gun - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM
astamp78
Senior User
Oops you're right, I didn't look back far enough.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Machinator
Senior User
That much power add with a stock tranny would eat it up if you pulled a heavy load in about 10 minutes.
scott

Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,419 Likes on 1,014 Posts
you would want to go back to stock to tow.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 AM
astamp78
Senior User
Originally Posted by Machinator
That much power add with a stock tranny would eat it up if you pulled a heavy load in about 10 minutes.
scott
I had a Banks setup on my old 2002 and ran around on stage 4 all the time, never had a bit of problems. The new setup for the 6.4 they are coming out with (if I understood the guy I talked to correctly) reduces power during shifts but cleans up the shifts a lot compared to stock.

Plus, as many familiar with Banks will tell you, they will not release a product until it is fully tested, so I am not worried a bit about using it. It has been beta tested on a fleet of trucks for over a year.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the verdict on this affecting the warranty? I read in the other thread that it doesn't based on how banks does their programming. Can anyone confirm?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
powerstroker27
Senior User
Originally Posted by Machinator
scott
only if the programmer doesn't program the tcm as well as the ecm.

Spartans tuner and the custom tunes from innovative r laying down over 530hp to the wheels with only a tuner, intake, and exhaust. Both have 150hp+ tunes that you can still run with the dpf. Also there are several members here that have been racing, hot rodding, and pulling with their trucks in the 200hp and up tunes for over 30k miles without any major problems.

So it might just be me, but im not impressed with this.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
The key is all about warranty. The Spartan and SCT tuners will put Banks to shame in horsepower. Plus they can be tuned with or without the DPF, EGR, converter lock up, as well as changing trans pressure, shift points, tire size, etc. With either of those you also get monitors for fuel pressure, boost, trans temp, EGT's, etc, etc, etc. in my opinion they are far superior products for the 6.4. However its a given that they risk your warranty by reprogramming the PCM/TCM. If Banks doesnt leave a footprint then it should sell well and be a good option for those that want the power without plans of racing or pulling.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by caprang
The key is all about warranty. The Spartan and SCT tuners will put Banks to shame in horsepower. Plus they can be tuned with or without the DPF, EGR, converter lock up, as well as changing trans pressure, shift points, tire size, etc. With either of those you also get monitors for fuel pressure, boost, trans temp, EGT's, etc, etc, etc. in my opinion they are far superior products for the 6.4. However its a given that they risk your warranty by reprogramming the PCM/TCM. If Banks doesnt leave a footprint then it should sell well and be a good option for those that want the power without plans of racing or pulling.
So,will the Spartan and SCT leave a footprint

Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
pyro2nite
Senior User
There have been several threads where people have warranty work done with the Spartan and it was not discovered after the owner put back the stock tune.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
It all depends on what they are looking for. What I am still waiting to see is a SCT/Spartan tuned truck that needs a new engine. Thats when Ford will look for the tuner. The dealer and Ford arent looking for the tuners when you go in for oil changes or reflashes. Its going to take an expensive repair like an engine failure.

If someone knows of such an experience please share, I just havent found it on these boards yet.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 AM
astamp78
Senior User
Originally Posted by caprang
It all depends on what they are looking for. What I am still waiting to see is a SCT/Spartan tuned truck that needs a new engine. Thats when Ford will look for the tuner. The dealer and Ford arent looking for the tuners when you go in for oil changes or reflashes. Its going to take an expensive repair like an engine failure.

If someone knows of such an experience please share, I just havent found it on these boards yet.
It sounds like this is where the Banks is different. In the event of a major failure, it can be removed without leaving a footprint as it does not actual reprogram the ECM or TCM.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Called yesterday and the base price is $698 and $1245 with the power pda. Can anyone comment whether or not the pda is worth the extra $$? What type of gauges/display is standard, is it the **** with settings 1-6?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
firemansdiesel
Junior User
They are charging almost an extra $600 for the PDA?

Quick Reply: New Banks 6.4L Tuner!