S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

My 1st accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM
F350SoCalQT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1st accident

So I got in my first accident in my truck today....A mattress truck took out my right mirror and it went through my window and my right window exploded. Theres glass everywhere, Im all cut up...luckily i was able to cover my face. My kid had glass all over him scared the living daylights outta me.

I think the guy either had no insurance or no license because my brother came and he said hed pay cash to fix it. I went to the dealership and they said it would cost 1100 for everything. The guy gave me 1100 in cash and my brothers gonna fix it.

None of yall happen to have an extra passenger side mirror for an 02 f350 would ya?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yikes! Glad to hear you and the kiddo are OK!

Where did this happen?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
F350SoCalQT
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Yikes! Glad to hear you and the kiddo are OK!

Where did this happen?

Off lakewood and south st over by the Lakewood mall

And all those people saw what happened and just went around me

Old 03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
400Z28racer
5th Wheeling
I am glad you guys are OK. check car-part.com they usually have them for cheap.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
400Z28racer
5th Wheeling
the cheapest is around $75
Search Results

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by F350SoCalQT
Off lakewood and south st over by the Lakewood mall

And all those people saw what happened and just went around me
Not a lot of sympathetic folks out on the road around here.

You need the window also, right?

I found THIS in the classifieds - it's pretty old, but he might still have them

Old 03-18-2009, 09:18 PM
F354JOE
Elder User
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Steve, those mirrorsare gone. I was talking with him last night and I ask him about the mirrors for Abe.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM
metalman-abe
New User
theres quite a few dissmanteling yards ouy by my work i can check if you would like cuz im gonna see about a pair for myself.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Damn - we need a group buy

Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM
F354JOE
Elder User
Oh Steve you are to much.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
F354JOE
Elder User
Abe, hit the quote button in the lower right corner of the post that you are responding to and a box will pop up. Then type what you want to say and hit post at the bottom. This way people will know what you are talking about.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Terra, I'm glad you and the baby are okay. Everything is scarier when kids are with you.

My advice would be to never let a guy skate and just pay you off. All kind of problems can happen. Always turn it over to your insurance company and if the guy is uninsured that is his problem.

For example, he could have written down your license number, so he knows who you are. Now, all he has to do is turn it into his insurance company and say you hit him and ran away.

A similar thing happended to me when I was about 18yo. I rear ended a guy on a rainy day. My corvair punched in the rear of his station wagon tail gate. Not a lot of damage on his end, but totalled mine. Anyway, we exchange info and he admits to me that he does not have his drivers license with him, so please lets not call the police. "We'll just each take care of our own damage". Well, it was obviously going to be my fault so I agreed to that. But as soon as the SOB got home, and had his DL in hand, he called his insurance and filed a claim. Fortunately my insurance paid, but I was cancelled immediately. The bad thing was, it was my parents policy, and they were cancelled too.

If I were you, I would file a claim on my insurance, and get the guys cash back to him.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
F354JOE
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
Terra, I'm glad you and the baby are okay. Everything is scarier when kids are with you.

My advice would be to never let a guy skate and just pay you off. All kind of problems can happen. Always turn it over to your insurance company and if the guy is uninsured that is his problem.

For example, he could have written down your license number, so he knows who you are. Now, all he has to do is turn it into his insurance company and say you hit him and ran away.

A similar thing happended to me when I was about 18yo. I rear ended a guy on a rainy day. My corvair punched in the rear of his station wagon tail gate. Not a lot of damage on his end, but totalled mine. Anyway, we exchange info and he admits to me that he does not have his drivers license with him, so please lets not call the police. "We'll just each take care of our own damage". Well, it was obviously going to be my fault so I agreed to that. But as soon as the SOB got home, and had his DL in hand, he called his insurance and filed a claim. Fortunately my insurance paid, but I was cancelled immediately. The bad thing was, it was my parents policy, and they were cancelled too.

If I were you, I would file a claim on my insurance, and get the guys cash back to him.
I totally agree with you Bill. Also, I would like to add that there is a possibility that there is more damage that has not been seen. Whenever there is an accident I believe it takes a trained eye to carefully go over the vehicle that is damaged.

Terra, If you can contact this guy, You may want to consider what Bill said.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Serg450
Posting Guru
I'm not sure I agree. If the damage is that what Terra discribed, and the fella coughed up the money to cover the damage. Then whats the problem. Insurance companies are a pain in ***. Just my two cents.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
F350SoCalQT
Senior User
Thanks for all the input guys. I considered both options, but he spoke no english and neither did the boss. My brother said the guy was being paid under the table and had no insurance. Luckily I took it to my cousin who does auto claims and then the ford dealership and they both said it was just the window and mirror damage and some paint chips off the side of the door.

So I got my window fixed yesterday, The ford dealership in Fullerton did the window for $140 AND vacuumed up the glass AND took out the mirror attachments. (the other dealership was gonna charge 85 to vacuum and 247 for the window and 85 for the labor for both)

I found a mirror in Arcadia for $105 that I think Im gonna go pick up today.

I get both sides though, Ive been in both situations. But As pissed as I am that this guy hit me, and I almost killed him cuz my son was in the car, I'm not gonna be messed up and get this guy fired from his job when he has a wife and mouths to feed, which is what would happen if i went through my insurance.

Quick Reply: My 1st accident