6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

International's DPF Dash Board Warnings

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
International's DPF Dash Board Warnings

This is Internationals system of dash board warnings and drivers instructions for each warning:

Soot Load Engine
Performance
Dash
Lamps Situation Driver’s Response
Exhaust filter
(DPF) Regeneration
required
Drive on highway at highway
speeds until lamp turns off OR
start Parked Regeneration to
prevent loss of power

Exhaust Filter
(DPF) is full
Regeneration
Required
Pull vehicle safely off roadway
and start Parked Regeneration
to prevent loss of engine power

Dash Audible
Alarm
Exhaust filter
is full. Engine
performance is
LIMITED
Pull vehicle safely off roadway
and start Parked Regeneration
to prevent engine stopping

Dash Audible
Alarm-
A serious engine
problem has occurred.
Exhaust
filter may be
overfull. Engine
may SHUTDOWN
soon.
Pull vehicle safely off roadway,
turn on flashers, place warning
devices, and STOP ENGINE. DO
NOT USE Parked Regeneration.
Call for service.

International does not seem to have many problems with this and in fact the 6.4 V8/MaxxForce 7 engine is getting better fuel mileage than the 6.0/Vt365 did.
I wonder if the 6.4 Powerstroke wouldn't do better if they were not saddled with the consumer friendly, operator not involved, one size fits all approach to DPF regeneration?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
rock_doctor
Senior User
It is more likely they do not need to meet as strict emissions requirement that ford does... In reality, doing away with the parked regen is going to be a major issue for those of us who can't go jump on the highway when the truck wants too.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
interesting stuff. I agree with Rock_Doctor in the sense that for the aver. consumer they have watered it down so it would be friendly.

In the end you will see the DPF failing long before 100K on the average.

those of us who really use the truck it the DPF will last at predicable levels.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rock_doctor
It is more likely they do not need to meet as strict emissions requirement that ford does... In reality, doing away with the parked regen is going to be a major issue for those of us who can't go jump on the highway when the truck wants too.

Maybe rob_nc will chime in here, but AFAIK the emission standards for 8,500 GVW and higher are the same.

Also Internationals MaxxForce7/6.4 V8 operates cleaner than the 2007 emissions require and is one of the engines that have earned them emission credits allowing them to delay meeting the 2010 deadline.

If you happen to see a 2007 emission IC school bus (International), you might note the 6" diameter tailpipe/heat diffuser that exits through the rear bumper.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
RE: Ford 6.4 DPF's failing before 100K

I sure hope not. I have 82,000 right now and virtually all of them are towing average to above average loads. I know my foot is in it heavy most of the time. I also have around 2100 engine hours.

I have been "kidding" around with the folks at my dealer telling them they better get a DPF in stock soon so I won't have to wait for it when it happens. We all laugh about it but I know it's coming. Just hope I have some warning.

Ford would do well to increase the amount of info we get regarding the DPF cleaning cycle. It's hard to have confidence in the system as it is now. It appears to be a random event that occurs with no explanation. Hard to satisfy a man's curiosity and sense of "need to know".

Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
RE: Ford 6.4 DPF's failing before 100K

I sure hope not. I have 82,000 right now and virtually all of them are towing average to above average loads. I know my foot is in it heavy most of the time. I also have around 2100 engine hours.

I have been "kidding" around with the folks at my dealer telling them they better get a DPF in stock soon so I won't have to wait for it when it happens. We all laugh about it but I know it's coming. Just hope I have some warning.

Ford would do well to increase the amount of info we get regarding the DPF cleaning cycle. It's hard to have confidence in the system as it is now. It appears to be a random event that occurs with no explanation. Hard to satisfy a man's curiosity and sense of "need to know".
Because of how you use your truck I bet yours goes close to 150K

Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow senix, I hope you are right. Makes sense though. Highway miles, plenty of heat in the system, long runs and regen cycles always complete.

On the other hand, I could see filling the filter up because of the above reasons. Maybe we'll get a member on FTE to actually wear out a DPF and learn something from it. Not all the broken ones/abused or defective ones.