General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Neighbors, Grrr!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Icefan71
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neighbors, Grrr!!

A couple of months ago, our beloved Boxer, "Lola" died. She was 8 years old. She had recently had a litter of pups (not planned). Unfortunately, due to the freezing weather, I was not able to give her a proper burial in the yard. I know it sounds crazy, but we decided to leave her laying in her doghouse and kept the gate closed to keep any critters out. It was below freezing so we knew she would be "preserved".
Well, our neighbor behind us found out and immediately called the SPCA to complain. They came when we were not home and removed our dog. She was taken to a city 3 hours away for an autopsy! The SPCA then came back 2 days later with a search warrant to check on the condition of our other dogs. After explaining to the officer the reason why we left our dog in her doghouse and that we wanted her back to bury her, he said not to worry and he would arrange for us to get her back.
I am so pissed off. My wife was so upset that they took Lola away. Why in the world didn't our neighbor just ask us what was going on? I think she would have understood our situation. We don't really get along, but I think she really crossed a line here. We are not animal abusers. I am afraid of what our other neighbors might think. We have 2 cats in the house and 2 other dogs, plus 2 pups left from Lola. They are all well taken care of and this was documented when the SPCA came to check on them. I don't even want to say whats going through my head right now as far as that nosy neighbor goes. I really hope she stays the hell away from us now. And she better watch her step. Maybe I'll catch her doing some stupid little thing that I can turn her in for and see how she likes it!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
My Granny used to always say, "Love Your Enemies, it'll drive um crazy!"

I wouldn't sink to Her level.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
First off, Sorry for the loss of your Boxer, My Lab is on borrowed time so I feel for ya. I also can see how you arrived at the circumstance with waiting for burial,... your neighbor needs to MYOB!, just snub them, dont lower yourself to their level.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
My sympathy for your loss.

I agree that a line was crossed... your nosy neighbour needs to mind her own business. Unfortunately, that does'nt happen (not in my experience, at any rate) in the real world. Some people think that they have a "right" to be involved in what's happening around them, whether it involves them or not.

I'd say that she's shown her true colours, and if that's how she's going to be, then you and your family's best bet is to simply put yourselves above her level and have nothing to do with her. Finding something she'd done wrong and reporting it to the police will come across as nothing more than "sour grapes". Don't sink to her level. You did nothing wrong, she did. Doing something to her in retaliation accomplishes nothing useful.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
350steve
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icefan71
I really hope she stays the hell away from us now. And she better watch her step. Maybe I'll catch her doing some stupid little thing that I can turn her in for and see how she likes it!
revenge is sweet...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
they should make the nosey neighbor pay for the autopsy and related transportation/investigation.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the opposite problem with my neighbor. I have three large dogs that are inside outside. My neighbor had a black lab that was rarely fed. It broke its front leg and they did nothing. It healed over time. The collar was way to tight and the dog was covered in fleas. I came home early with a larger identical collar and flea shampoo. I jumped the fence,bathed the dog, and changed the collar. I put the dog back in their yard and never said a word. I did this frequently. They never had a clue that anything was done with the dog. I hate to say, but dying was the best thing that happened to Colby.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by first today
I had the opposite problem with my neighbor. I have three large dogs that are inside outside. My neighbor had a black lab that was rarely fed. It broke its front leg and they did nothing. It healed over time. The collar was way to tight and the dog was covered in fleas. I came home early with a larger identical collar and flea shampoo. I jumped the fence,bathed the dog, and changed the collar. I put the dog back in their yard and never said a word. I did this frequently. They never had a clue that anything was done with the dog. I hate to say, but dying was the best thing that happened to Colby.
Thats truly sad, you should have just "liberated" the Lab from its worthless,POS owners. Its incredible how heartless some people can be.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't be looking for any titfortat kind of revenge, but I'd certainly let my neighbor know how I felt about their intrusion. There's nothing wrong with a short 'to the point' conversation about minding ones own business.
You'll get your chance...your nosey neighbor will need you for something, sometime.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,110 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Condolences on Lolas passing!!!

I'm not sure how to respond to the rest of your post. Do you get along with the neighbor??? How did they find out that Lola was lying in rest in her house??? Perhaps a sit down with them to explain what was going on is in order.

As for the SPCA...you can't hold a grudge against them...they were just doing their jobs. It was definitely an unusual situation...they needed to make sure that any animals on the site were treated properly.

Again...condolences on Lolas passing...may she rest in peace.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
maybe talk to the lady?

Anyway she just came home and saw your dead dog in her dog house? or did she know what was going on?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tough call. I agree that you should not stoop to her level and I would not set out on a course of revenge. I think your decision is whether you express your disappointment with her decision or avoid her altogether. If you have not given anybody any reason to think that you have been abusing your dogs then there is no reason why she shouldn't have said something to you before going to the SPCA. If you blew her off or were rude then maybe she has a case but she should at least had the courtesy as your neighbor to check with you and see if anything was wrong.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
hofuf
Elder User
The SPCA thinks they are above the law. I've have a friend that had the SPCA called on their horse. The horse was very old and dying. He was hand feeding the horse on a daily basis but it appeared to be mistreated. The SPCA walked onto his property without a warrant and started messing with his horse. He went out there and called the cops and his own veterinarian who proceeded to tell the SPCA to get lost. I don't know how these idiots got all of their power but they need to be knocked down a rung.

As for your neighbors, I'd teach them a lesson. I wouldn't do anything illegal but I'd make them wish they kept to their own business.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
bulrydr_1
Senior User
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
My Granny used to always say, "Love Your Enemies, it'll drive um crazy!"

I wouldn't sink to Her level.
I was taught the same thing...Invite your nieghbors to dinner...hehehe

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

I'm not one to tell you what to do, but in this case I would talk to the neighbor. Put yourself in her place; maybe she thought the dog froze to death, and calling the SPCA was the proper thing to do. I am also sorry for your loss, and hope everything works out for all of you.

Quick Reply: Neighbors, Grrr!!