Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Crane Cams going under???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Exclamation Crane Cams going under???

Saw this in the the Southern Cal chapter. Hard to beleive, Crane has been around quite a while. I've had a few of their cams.

REPORT: Legendary speed parts merchant Crane Cams shuttered

Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pat, I read that they plan on re-opening after a little restructuring. Can't find the article but I am still looking. If they don't open that is a big loss. my entire valve train came from them.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster
here it is...

A couple weeks ago we heard Crane Cams would be shuttering after 56 years of operation. Crane Cams now claims it plans to reorganize under bankruptcy and restart operations this month.
According to Crane VP Steve Leva, the company is having the same financial troubles befouling the common automotive waters as any other supplier, but they're working to restructure and open as soon as possible. The management team is hoping to resume operations in as little as a week, but are targeting sometime this month. This is great news for the for grease monkeys everywhere, as the horror of stock V8 idle and terrifying valve float need not befoul your Saturday night special.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:27 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
I hate seeing any of the auto related businesses go under, so I hope these guys can get the company back on it's feet.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
RedUgly77
Postmaster
Well my recommendation!

American Cranks, Forged Racing Crankshafts, Forged Rods, Direct Lube Lifters and More at Howards Cams

The name Howards™ has been synonymous with high performance camshafts since the 1950’s. A great number of valve train innovations can be traced back to Howards™ Cams. From pioneers in drag racing and oval track cams to cutting edge marine development, Howards™ Cams is at the forefront of the camshaft industry.

The company was founded by Howard Johansen as Howard's Power & Racing Equipment, as a manufacturer of racing cams and is a member of the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame and originally from Nebraska. Butler County area, David City. Also in Nebraska auto/or racing Hall of fame.

interesting article.
http://www.inliners.org/12_Port_Story/pt_six.html

http://www.cacklefest.com/Rattler.shtml

Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RedUgly77
here it is...

thats the one. thanks

Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
My boss was saying he read about edelbrock being in some trouble to, bank wasn't gonna lend them anymore money..... Anybody run across an article like that?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
gquinn8516
Elder User
Lots of changes going on - Many sad days for some producers over the next 12 months - Finding the cheapest Price for something may be replaced with who can get it and when. Don't forget , if GM goes belly up, that also means that they default on their suppliers, which means those suppliers will go belly up, which means the parts they produce for the aftermarket will not be there, which means us car freeks don't get our parts. Producers will step up but it will take time to get everything geared back up to meet the need. And my oppinion (sadly) GM will be "Restructuring" which will affect even Ford parts.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Redneck-Cowboy
My boss was saying he read about edelbrock being in some trouble to, bank wasn't gonna lend them anymore money..... Anybody run across an article like that?
Now that I think about it, I believe it was Holley that was in trouble.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gquinn8516
Lots of changes going on - Many sad days for some producers over the next 12 months - Finding the cheapest Price for something may be replaced with who can get it and when. Don't forget , if GM goes belly up, that also means that they default on their suppliers, which means those suppliers will go belly up, which means the parts they produce for the aftermarket will not be there, which means us car freeks don't get our parts. Producers will step up but it will take time to get everything geared back up to meet the need. And my oppinion (sadly) GM will be "Restructuring" which will affect even Ford parts.
The domino effect. Hopefully GM and Chrysler can keep there heads about water.

Originally Posted by Redneck-Cowboy
Now that I think about it, I believe it was Holley that was in trouble.
Now that would suck, I like Holley carbs!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
I was about ready to order a cam for my pulling truck the other day, so I got on Summit and 2 outta the 15 cams within the range I looking at were avaliable, the rest were back-ordered, Jegs the same way (a month ago everything was pretty much "ship the same day"). They had one COMP and one Crower avaliable, the rest of the COMP's, Cranes, Lunati's and Crower's were pushed back. I was kinda thinking Summit was cuttin down there inventory, but then I saw Jeg's w/ around the same estimated date of shipment, Cranes were due to ship to, so they are still getting em from some stockpile. I don't know whats up w/ the back order, I realize a 460 is no 350 chevy, but it's not that odd of an engine.