Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parts stores.... damn it

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
fkaster01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parts stores.... damn it

is there such thing as a parts store that hires people who have mechanical knowledge of vehicles...? I won't go to murrays' cause they screwed me once, now auto zone is soon to be added to my list of people who can't help me... any store i should be going to, keep in mind i'm in detroit area

Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Gramps86
Senior User
napa stores are usually pretty good, also carquest or autovalue the 'walmarts' of parts stores include advance, autozone, oreillys, thers another one too, and the walmarts dont usually hire alot of bright people, they would have to pay them more

Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
fkaster01
Senior User
I just can't believe that they don't ask if these people have any knowledge at all dealing with cars... they should be made to take a test or something... maybe hire retired mechanics or something and just give them a bigger discount on parts... something should be done to ease this process

Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
1tim1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fkaster01
I just can't believe that they don't ask if these people have any knowledge at all dealing with cars... they should be made to take a test or something...
the very sad thing is that they do have to take quizes and tests, i know exactly how you feel about this situation, i agree that napa is a good parts store, i've had ok service from advance and oreilly, BUT it's good to be able to know people that work in the parts stores, it generally makes your time worth while

Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fkaster01
is there such thing as a parts store that hires people who have mechanical knowledge of vehicles...? I won't go to murrays' cause they screwed me once, now auto zone is soon to be added to my list of people who can't help me... any store i should be going to, keep in mind i'm in detroit area

good lucky find one

lot store that I used to go there have out business

but one good one in Flat rock on Telegraph/ Vreesland but it near to Bank.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Ford4x4-JD70AB
Senior User
The only place Ive found that has people that know what is going on is the local parts store. Autozone has done alright for some simple stuff but dont expect much from the big name parts stores. This topic has come up before and when you think about it, there arent many people that know much about cars willing to work at a big name parts strores for minimum wage.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM
fkaster01
Senior User
thats a good point... if i had all that knowledge i wouldn't wast it working for some douch bag when i could be getting paid working on my own

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya know, thats funny ya bring this up. I was at a now-defunct auto-parts store looking for a part years ago. The brain surgeon behind the counter couldn't find the part on the display, and I was growing tired of craning my neck over the counter, so I walk around the counter and took over the terminal.
I found the right part and information, and before I could leave, customers were asking me for help. (I had a blue work shirt, with my name over the pocket, cause I didn't change knowing I had to work on my truck.)

They said 'you don't work here?' Ya should...

Find a parts store, hook up with the knowledgeable parts person, and stick with it.
(My favorite counter-person at the area store is a woman. She runs circles around them guys!)

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Beastly
Senior User
Having been one, I have to stick up for the parts guys a little bit.

For the most part, these guys/gals aren't what you would call experienced on the business end of a wrench. If they really were, they would be working as mechanics in a garage, or at a stealership, and making a whole lot more money than you can make at the parts counter.

The answer would be to pay them more, and educate them more, but, that would force the overhead higher to the point that the store wouldn't be likely to last long in a competitive economy. I don't see that happening any time soon.

There are exceptions, like me, who were mechanics that got tired of getting greasy all the time, and didn't mind taking a pay cut, to stay clean. These people can make good parts persons, because they have been there, done that, in a lot of wrenching situations. However, it can be a double-edged sword, as it is easy to think as a former mechanic, that you know more about the parts and applications than you really do.

The automotive aftermarket supplier catalogs (at least the last time I used them) have to be the most inconsistent, worst documented, messes, that you could possibly believe working with on a day-to-day basis. Each parts manufacturer has their own catalog, in their own format. These can frustrate, and/or confuse, the bejezus out of you, especially when the store, or chain, you are working for switches suppliers/brands. However, you get used to the catalogs after a while (a while is a variable that depends on how often you goof it up, and learn from it), and it gets easier.

Now lets bring in the computerized parts catalogs. All of a sudden, you don't have the paper book to thumb through, and it gets a whole lot harder to spot the anomalies, and misprints, that someone who is paying attention might catch by thumbing through the paper version.

The computerized parts catalogs are only as good as the data entry people at the manufacturers level that are putting in the part numbers for the application into the computer database. The computerized catalogs while fairly convenient, suffer very much from the garbage-in, garbage-out, conundrum long before it gets to your local parts guy.

In addition, I can't begin to imagine how many different makes, models, and configurations of cars there are out there. There is no way on earth that anyone in history (past, present, or future) is going to know exactly what part fits exactly what vehicle all of the time. All they can do is work from the information as it is presented to them. (Both from the manufacturer of the part, and the person who needs it.)

Wow, this is turning into a bit of a rant... The only gripes I have with parts people are when they make the same mistake over, and over, and don't learn from it, or, when they don't care enough to put in the effort to try to get it right. This boils down to laziness, and I have to say, I see that in all walks of life.

If you ask me, the best parts person in the world is the annoying one who asks you, and makes you answer, the little stupid questions, that shouldn't make a difference. This is because they do make a difference a lot of the time.

Also, I really like to find someone who doesn't just give up if the part you asked for isn't listed by the name you specified.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
bullredguy
Junior User
the horrors of big box parts store are overwhelming, i am so glad that i have, just up the 4 lane about 4 miles a family run biz that will get anything i need. I absolutely stay away from the others and running a small biz from home i always shop the lil guys and in turn they will use my services also

Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Beastly,
I wish to thank you for that response. It is a lot different on the other side of the counter. But, if you were to take that customer from the time they walk in, till they leave, and make sure that they are happy it makes the difference in a return for good service.

My time spent under a vehicle, trying to get the problem right, will turn out better when I go to the parts store, and get the right part the first time, or at least satisfaction knowing that I will be helped to find the right part.

No, they don't work on commission(that I know of), and I know they can't coddle customers, but some out there don't even act like they want to be there. That's when I go 'shoppin' for a nother floor person.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Hrddrv...that's hilarious....That happened a couple of time to me at a Rona store (Canadian version of Home Depot)....I know more about the product than most that work there...

Beastly....I can understand your point as well. Its true enough.
Sometimes though....they don't even listen..
I was at a Canadian Tire parts counter getting a price on winter tires....The lad went to go for his computer terminal...at which point I stopped him and explained that I did not want the stock size...told him what I wanted and then he went to his terminal and asked me what the vehicle was, engine , 2wd or 4, omg...surprise...he said..oh you want..235/75/15.....I said no....I want to talk to someone who understands english. He said, I do speak english, I said yes but you don't understand it very well. He looked perplexed...I laughed and walked over to ask someone else. Now I may have been a little rude...but not as much as he was stupid.
I somehow think you would have fared better though.
Edit:..I now use Napa almost exclusively as well. They just seem to know their stuff.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Beastly
Senior User
Originally Posted by HrdDrv
Beastly,
...if you were to take that customer from the time they walk in, till they leave, and make sure that they are happy it makes the difference in a return for good service.

...I know they can't coddle customers, but some out there don't even act like they want to be there. That's when I go 'shoppin' for a nother floor person.
Thanks (from parts guys everywhere, and me even though I haven't done it for over a decade)!

Actually, this is true in any business. When you have a product/service to sell, the proper way to sell it is to provide as much value to your customer as possible. If you do that well, most people would gladly pay more, and purchase more, in exchange for that customer service. Those few customers that wouldn't are not the kind of customer that are going to keep you in business.

The problem, as I see it, is that anyone working in an auto parts store that understands, and performs this, is going to be promoted off of the floor, or hired away for greener pastures.

While it is great for them, that leaves us the ones who don't get it, still on the floor. Catch 22.

I disagree with the statement that they cannot/should not coddle customers, I believe that they should be working hard to make sure that they get the customer's needs satisfied. Repeat business is what will keep you in business.

I haven't met any auto parts counter people that are on commission (except myself when I was promoted to an outside sales representative - I still had to cover our parts counter once in a while, as we were a small outfit), but, if they were paid on commision, you would likely see a whole different attitude from them.

As far as those who act like they don't want to be there, they would be exhibiting the same behavior no matter where they worked, or what they did. They need an attitude adjustment at minimum (Good thing life is pretty good at doling these out).

Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM
1994 F250: 351, C6
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are 4 parts stores in the town I live in: Schucks, NAPA, Ford, and a local place. Which store I go to depends on what I am getting.

About 45% of the time, I go to Schucks, because they are usually cheaper and almost always in stock. I know most of the guys there and most of them are pretty good. Their catalog is the worst and sometimes you get the wrong part, but the price break and availability make it worth shopping there.

NAPA is good, I go there another 45% of the time. Their pries are about the same as Schucks on most things, but the problem of parts not being in stock is a bit worse there. On the other hand, most of their stuff is of higher quality than Schucks. They have pissed me off a couple of times with their return policies and I stopped shopping there for about 6 months a year or two ago.

The Ford dealership has lousy prices on most things, and often times they have to order your part. However, I shop there about 5% of the time. The staff is pretty knowledgable, which is a plus. I buy all of my seals and u-joints at Ford. The seals are of much better quality, they always fit, and the price is competitive. Their u-joints are also of higher quality.

The local place gets the remaining 5% of my business. They have great service, but they have high prices and nothing is in stock. I wish I could shop there more often, but the prices and long waits for parts keep me away.

I did not include online and out of town purchases because they make up a very small portion of my parts purchases. I also did not include oil change supplies and other fluids, I buy those at Walmart, because they are considerably cheaper. When I am at Walmart and need something like silicone, brake cleaner, or any other chemicals, I buy them there. But since I have to drive 6 miles to the next town to go to Walmart, I do not make specific trips there to get things other than oil.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
motorhead81
Junior User
this is not a joke unfortunatley I called one place asked if they carried shift kits and the guy asked me if it was for a manual or automatic

Quick Reply: parts stores.... damn it