Camshaft Tower Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 11:59 AM
COsby
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft Tower Bolts

Hey all,
After some discussions, it's not clear if the camshaft tower (cap) bolts are torque to yield. Just to be clear, these are the cam journal bolts that hold the cam down.
I called the dealer and it was unknown if they can get them. Also, nobody sells them.

So. Who can verify:
1) Are the bolts TTY?
2) Can they be purchased? If so, where?

I found these bolts. Thoughts?
I plan on taking them out tonight to get some measurements. If all else fails I was going to go to McMaster-Carr or Fastenal.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...250-super-duty

Old 10-16-2020, 05:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I can't believe a dealership cannot or will not sell these bolts. I'd call a few other dealers or check out the FordPartsGiant site---they have just about any Ford OEM part I've ever checked on. Prices are consistent with discounted dealership prices, about 25% off MSRP.

Personally I'd stick with OEM bolts as Fastenal, et al might have not have the proper spec bolts available.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:28 AM
COsby
Senior User
I have checked FordPartsGiant and a few of those other OEM sites. They're not available there either.

Best I can tell and my opinion. The camshaft tower bolts are not tty but the balancer shaft bolts are. The bolt construction of the balancer shaft bolts have a long shoulder similar to a head bolt. The cam tower bolts are threaded the entire length.
I found a bolt in the shop the same size and shape as the balancer shaft bolt and it felt very solid meeting torque. The older bolts did not, as a matter of fact, one of them snapped. This is what had me second guessing that.

The bolts in the link I posted do not have the same size and spec as the cam tower bolts.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Why are you avoiding calling a local dealership?

Old 10-17-2020, 08:53 AM
COsby
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Why are you avoiding calling a local dealership?
There are 2 close to me. I called them both. Both said the same. I can give them my VIN and they can contact fomoco and request a part number / see if the bolts are available to order.

Also, going to edit the response in the post above. Those bolts are not the same size.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:13 AM
DesertSmoker
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The cam journal bolts and the balance cam bolts on my 2010 are not TTY. Per Ford you torque them and then add a 45* turn to them.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by COsby
There are 2 close to me. I called them both. Both said the same. I can give them my VIN and they can contact fomoco and request a part number / see if the bolts are available to order.
That's extremely unusual even for a dealership. Every part Ford supplied with the engine will have a part number, typically readily viewable by the parts department. I don't know the answer to finding the correct OEM number but I've never encountered a parts seller who didn't have an almost immediate access to every teeny tiny bolt or fastener Ford would have used.

Originally Posted by DesertSmoker
The cam journal bolts and the balance cam bolts on my 2010 are not TTY. Per Ford you torque them and then add a 45* turn to them.
If I'm not mistaken any bolt that has a recommended torque AND added angle of rotation would indeed be a TTY fastener. If I'm wrong someone please correct me---hate to not know such a thing.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:18 AM
Veltech
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For post above. Just because you use a torque turn method on a bolt mean it's a 1 time use bolt. I work on truck engines and alot of fasteners have gotten away from a single torque to the torque turn method because its suppose to be more accurate and consistent method of torque.
I'm not sure of a torque to yield bolt has special markings, but a reuse method I have seen for some is measure the shank of bolt and see how much diameter is reduced from stretching.
otherwise see if you have an actual bolt shop close and they can usually match it.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:58 AM
COsby
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
That's extremely unusual even for a dealership. Every part Ford supplied with the engine will have a part number, typically readily viewable by the parts department. I don't know the answer to finding the correct OEM number but I've never encountered a parts seller who didn't have an almost immediate access to every teeny tiny bolt or fastener Ford would have used.
Yeah I thought it was odd too. These were legit Ford-only new car dealers with service and parts departments. They can get the balancer shaft bolts no problem. However, to get the cam bolts I need to give them my VIN and then they have to go back to ford to request it.